Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Winter Expansion - Desperate times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Expansion - Desperate times  (Read 72355 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: November 25, 2011, 10:36:29 PM

Most definitely agreed.

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #211 on: November 26, 2011, 05:10:15 AM

Shockingly, EVE is designed to be played with others.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: November 26, 2011, 05:40:35 AM

It is almost unique amoung modern multiplayer online games in that regard.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: November 26, 2011, 09:46:29 AM

Shockingly, EVE is designed to be played with others.

That's a double edged sword, you are almost too reliant on your corp/alliance to provide interesting things to do when you log in. Kageru said it better than I could.

1) The fun you can find yourself isn't.

2) The fun that exists in the game depends on the vagaries of other people. Fights at the right time, when you can commit a potentially sizable but unknown amount of time online (since you can't easily leave), in the right place, with a good FC, against a reasonably balanced enemy force and at a scale the servers can handle. plus Australian time-zones tend to be pretty dead generally.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: November 26, 2011, 10:36:22 AM

You actually think Eve was designed?  ACK! ACK!  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: November 26, 2011, 10:42:20 AM

No, I think magic unicorns farted and out popped EVE.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: November 26, 2011, 11:10:49 AM

Hey, leave My Little Pony Online out of this!

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: November 26, 2011, 11:26:20 AM

I'm being ferocious, but actually in my view it was designed organically. The original CCP design (remember they were given Eve, a game someone else designed, for a song) had a very few people able to create t2 items, and had hugely powerful superships and remote Doomsdays. Then the shit hit the fan and the media was breathing down their neck, and they started listening to the playerbase out of panic, and the game improved. There's nothing wrong with that, its called art through adversary. But it was something that evolved through time, not through a concept document. But we have seen what happens when CCP starts designing things on its own again... supercaps and monocles.

Believe it or not, I want the game to work and everyone playing to be having fun, but I don't trust CCP to give a shit about making the entire game fun for everyone.

But hey lets talk ponies  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: November 26, 2011, 11:34:16 AM

I'm being ferocious, but actually in my view it was designed organically. The original CCP design (remember they were given Eve, a game someone else designed, for a song)

I think you're misremembering here. Iirc CCP designed and built Eve then bought it back when their publisher went tits up.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: November 26, 2011, 01:21:59 PM

Simon & Schuster is doing fine, they just dropped the idea of publishing video games and publish Glenn Beck's ghostwritten garbage instead.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: November 26, 2011, 08:31:44 PM

Simon & Schuster is doing fine, they just dropped the idea of publishing video games and publish Glenn Beck's ghostwritten garbage instead.

Ya  it''s hard to find publishing information on the original Eve release on the net anymore. For some reason I had their original publisher confused with SSI (Strategic Simulations) the guys who published the Panzer General series
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #221 on: November 26, 2011, 09:19:15 PM

Ya  it''s hard to find publishing information on the original Eve release on the net anymore. For some reason I had their original publisher confused with SSI (Strategic Simulations) the guys who published the Panzer General series
It was published by Simon & Schuster Interactive.  SSI.  I think Strategic Simulations Inc. was nothing but a part of Ubisoft by then, and might already have been retired as a brand.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: November 28, 2011, 01:36:34 AM

I think you're misremembering here. Iirc CCP designed and built Eve then bought it back when their publisher went tits up.

That is so backwards.   What happened is EvE was such a flaming pile of shit at release that the publisher sold it for pennies.    The game represents a pretty locked in niche though so they were able to fix it over time with subscription money.

No, I think magic unicorns farted and out popped EVE.

That's pretty much how release worked out.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:39:32 AM by Amaron »
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: November 28, 2011, 01:47:36 AM

It's a good business strategy: build something niche, get someone else to pay, but it out when you can see how to fix it and the publisher just sees the unplayable nightmare you've had to go to launch with :V

I'm being ferocious

I suspect you mean facetious.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: November 28, 2011, 05:49:29 AM

It's a good business strategy

That's not a business strategy it's fraud.   In CCP's case though it clearly wasn't intended.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: November 28, 2011, 06:41:09 AM

http://www.eveonline.com/updates/patchnotes.asp

Patchnotes are up go find some stealth nerfs for me while I'm busy posting about video games.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:06 AM

Won't know about stealth nerfs until after the patch, as, by definition, they aren't listed in the patch notes.

Unexpected change to hybrids:  reload time reduced to 5 seconds instead of 10.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: November 28, 2011, 11:35:22 AM

Won't know about stealth nerfs until after the patch, as, by definition, they aren't listed in the patch notes.

Unexpected change to hybrids:  reload time reduced to 5 seconds instead of 10.

That can't be right, can it?  That would make hybrids way over-powered for L4 missions.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: November 28, 2011, 12:04:55 PM

I think the Caldari Navy Raven is safe on its throne of king mission runner.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: November 28, 2011, 01:50:05 PM

That's a long list of patch notes. Bodes well.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: November 28, 2011, 01:53:57 PM

Effectively doubling the rate of fire of hybrid weapons (along with all the other changes) makes hybrid ships a lot more viable in mission running.  The Hyperion might actually be worth it's price now.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #231 on: November 28, 2011, 02:12:55 PM

That's a long list of patch notes. Bodes well.

Did it include any fun?   awesome, for real
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: November 28, 2011, 02:22:03 PM

It's reload time, not ROF (rate of fire).  You shoot your 140 bullets in the gun then only spend 5 seconds to reload.  Compared to instant for lasers and 10 seconds for projectiles.

As far as patch notes, they mention each item like 3 times (once in the summary, once in its category (ships vs. UI changes), and once in the "fixes" section) making the patch notes quite longer than they need to be.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: November 28, 2011, 02:24:20 PM

The 'Load Station Environments' option in the ESC Menu has changed slightly:
OFF: You can't enter Captains Quarter's and you have a static background image when in the Ship Hangar, hence unable to spin your ship.
ON: You can spin your ship in the Ship Hangar and can freely switch between Captains Quarter's and the Ship Hangar. Note that if you do not go into the Captains Quarter's, nothing extra is loaded when in the ship hangar.

Christ, didn't catch the drift the first time? One step forward, two steps back. Never change, CCP.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: November 28, 2011, 02:31:24 PM

What's the problem? You can either spin your ship, or you can switch it off to save resources in case your machine isn't exactly very powerful, or you want to run lots of clients.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: November 28, 2011, 02:50:32 PM

d2captainsquarters
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #236 on: November 28, 2011, 03:30:11 PM

Christ, didn't catch the drift the first time? One step forward, two steps back. Never change, CCP.
Give it 2-3 more patches and they'll add option to spin the static image of your ship, as the middle ground alternative.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: November 28, 2011, 04:46:31 PM

It's reload time, not ROF (rate of fire).  You shoot your 140 bullets in the gun then only spend 5 seconds to reload.  Compared to instant for lasers and 10 seconds for projectiles.

As far as patch notes, they mention each item like 3 times (once in the summary, once in its category (ships vs. UI changes), and once in the "fixes" section) making the patch notes quite longer than they need to be.

Thanks for that.  I was confusing the reload with RoF.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:00 PM

I thought the Caldari ship was going to be capable of using missiles?  Guess it's a good thing my Caldari char has hybrids too.   Lots of people are going to be mad about that though I'm sure.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: November 29, 2011, 02:51:28 AM

The torp-Naga on Sisi was pretty lackluster.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: November 29, 2011, 04:07:13 AM

What's the problem? You can either spin your ship, or you can switch it off to save resources in case your machine isn't exactly very powerful, or you want to run lots of clients.

This is ccp, so you have to ask, does the system remember your preference for ship spinning or send you via the vampire client each time?

The wording suggests it remembers, but, again, ccp.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: November 29, 2011, 08:45:04 AM

http://i.imgur.com/uJs4t.jpg

An overview of all of Eve's expansions.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:51 AM

The JBs are visible on the ingame browser now. ACK!

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: November 29, 2011, 10:04:50 AM

http://i.imgur.com/uJs4t.jpg

An overview of all of Eve's expansions.

Hahahah.

Though, chart should include bugfixes and re-balances to be complete.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #244 on: November 29, 2011, 06:36:08 PM

The JBs are visible on the ingame browser now. ACK!

Yeah this shocked the living hell out of me.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Winter Expansion - Desperate times  
Jump to: