Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:03:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Robber Barons have a field day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robber Barons have a field day  (Read 7046 times)
Trigona
Terracotta Army

on: October 02, 2011, 04:50:35 PM

An interesting development in Eve:
http://www.kugutsumen.com/showthread.php?11617-Goonswarm-Shrugged-The-Gallente-Ice-Interdiction

tl~dr Goons are targeting and destroying a component of production to have fun and as a consequence manipulate the market.

This could be the start of a new era of unrestrained capitalism.  There's no legislation in Eve to force players to be fair and I'm sure there are many components that are a choke point for production.  I'm looking forward to watching other power blocks have their own fun. 

The economics of Eve in 0.0 have to this point been fairly basic, moon goo = wealth and that has driven many a 0.0 conflict.  Now with the larger alliances having ridiculous amounts of isk a whole new paradigm appears.  0.0 wars might now be visited on Empire with 10 hour heroes (characters created solely for ganking), component stockpiling and trillions of isk for the taking. 
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 06:01:21 PM

Well you can add PL hoarding tech to that. Though that doesn't need 10 hour heroes given it's a purely null and low sec resource. Interesting times.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:39:19 PM

Well you can add PL hoarding tech to that. Though that doesn't need 10 hour heroes given it's a purely null and low sec resource. Interesting times.

What woulld work even better would be for the Goons and the DRF to conspire to price fix tech up even higher than it would naturally go with PL's freezing of their supply.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:49:43 PM

I'm leaning towards this being a troll.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 07:55:33 PM

Possibly, or trying to spook the market, or CCP into nerfing it.

Then again the new-NC would gain a lot from controlling the tech market rather than the current approach, so they certainly have the motivation.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 12:02:04 AM

Manipulating the market is the only fun I have in Eve anymore.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 02:57:18 AM

I may or may not have caused a few things to explode in an ice belt myself. The discussions popping up about poor space eskimos being terrorized by Ayn Rand fanatics in different public channels across Eve is fun to watch, I got to hand it to the GSF finance team for thinking up an idea that everyone has taken notice of. You could blame it on the lull going on right now with supercapitals not exploding as frequently as a few months ago. Even the video game political scene has taken this opportunity to start their campaigns against the current CSM thanks to it, with the ever favorite Trebor Daehdoowho coming up with such a pubbie base winning slogan as "Mittani is entirely acting within accepted rules, but he's still a douche for doing it."

Seeing Mackinaws with double Basilisks permarepping them with a handful of shield drones though is different. Challenge accepted is all that we're saying.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 03:20:03 AM

Of course he's being a douche about it. He's the goon leader, he's supposed to be a douche about it.

I don't see why this should be a surprise to trebor. Whiner.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:52:48 AM

So, you're basically saying that Hulkageddon has been extended to mackinaws or whatever the ice mining ship is, right?  I don't see why this would be shocking news to anyone.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:20:18 AM

So, you're basically saying that Hulkageddon has been extended to mackinaws or whatever the ice mining ship is, right?  I don't see why this would be shocking news to anyone.

Well if you'd read the article linked in the OP it would explain.  

I don't know about "shocking" news but it's different because they are targeting just ONE type of ice and trying to keep empire mining from being able to keep up with demand.  It isn't just random Jihad, it's targeted to try and mess up the economy.

All of EVE depends on fuel, and an extra-special amount of EVE depends on Oxygen Isotopes. These are the fuel for the most popular types of supercapitals, the Rorqual industrial ship, and for Gallente towers, which are the backbone of moon mineral reaction chains and thus of T2 production all across EVE. The economy depends on Oxytopes like it does on few other resources. If anything were to happen to the price of this one item, the howls would be louder than anything short of removing Veldspar from the game. (For some numbers, to supply the Oxytopes addiction of Jita alone, it takes approximately 200 Mackinaws mining Blue Ice 23/7...forever.)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:21:26 AM

IEven the video game political scene has taken this opportunity to start their campaigns against the current CSM thanks to it, with the ever favorite Trebor Daehdoowho coming up with such a pubbie base winning slogan as "Mittani is entirely acting within accepted rules, but he's still a douche for doing it."

Still waiting for him to explain why this is a douche move and invading a system isn't.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 11:43:18 AM

The only distinction I can think of is that it's done at the cost of people who thinks they're safe.

Well, there has been 0.0 dwellers who have prayed to god for help, but that's just crazytalk.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 11:46:30 AM

It would screw over Gaylente cap ships too.

No, I didn't think anyone would care... embarassed

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:54:59 AM

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 04:22:55 AM

What woulld work even better would be for the Goons and the DRF to conspire to price fix tech up even higher than it would naturally go with PL's freezing of their supply.

There was a tech cartel during the reign of the NC.  When they were replaced by the current Northern grouping we sat them down, had a few words with them and the price quickly rose again as they sold it the "right" way.

I'm pretty certain that the PL thing is a complete troll inspired by our ice campaign, since all they would really do is withhold some tech and make even more profit for the rest of the cartel.  Mainly by tons of their towers going offline given the mass nationalisation that that post spoke of.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 12:40:29 PM

I'm pretty certain that the PL thing is a complete troll inspired by our ice campaign, since all they would really do is withhold some tech and make even more profit for the rest of the cartel.  Mainly by tons of their towers going offline given the mass nationalisation that that post spoke of.

I read on another board that this coincides with PL's 3 month occupation of the moons and may be part of their contract with DRF that is now expiring.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Robber Barons have a field day  
Jump to: