Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Innistrad 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Innistrad  (Read 17307 times)
schild
Administrator

on: September 24, 2011, 03:44:58 PM

Won the prerelease at the store I went to. Pulled a Mirror-Mad Phantasm and Liliana from the prize packs.

Uhm.

This set is easy to do sealed. See, what you do is count your fliers in Bant. If you have more than 10, you play them and don't look back. Avacyn's Pilgrim helps. The 2/1 first strike, flying ghost is insane. Mask of Avacyn is some bomb equipment. Travel Preparations is no joke. Curiosity is worth running. That's about it. My deck was all Common/Uncommon with 2 rares, which only saw play once apiece (Elder of Laurels, I think it was called - and Cackling Counterpart, which is AMAZING.)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:22:38 PM

Won the prerelease at the store I went to. Pulled a Mirror-Mad Phantasm and Liliana from the prize packs.

Uhm.

This set is easy to do sealed. See, what you do is count your fliers in Bant. If you have more than 10, you play them and don't look back. Avacyn's Pilgrim helps. The 2/1 first strike, flying ghost is insane. Mask of Avacyn is some bomb equipment. Travel Preparations is no joke. Curiosity is worth running. That's about it. My deck was all Common/Uncommon with 2 rares, which only saw play once apiece (Elder of Laurels, I think it was called - and Cackling Counterpart, which is AMAZING.)

All Sealed is pretty easy, at the local store level, since current Mtg players are terrible at deck building from scratch.  Pick your most consistent colors, with the most support, and ignore the rares/mythics.  Half your matches you'll run over a guy complaining about how, if they just drew a sixth land, they would have wheeled out their bombs and won.  At this point, nod and apologize about them being mana screwed...  and don't even think about telling them about things like building to a curve or how you would play a deck full of consistent commons over a crappy deck with 3 bombs any day of the week.

I think I won something like 5 out of 6 of my last local Release events that way.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 05:41:02 AM

Hmmm, so it would appear that MtG is playable from Africa, from what I can tell...

I know leagues are not back in-game yet ( Mob) but if I were going to go back in to screw with sealed or something, anyone have tips/suggestions/crazy rule changes? Haven't played since early Ravnica block.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 07:27:09 AM

Hmmm, so it would appear that MtG is playable from Africa, from what I can tell...

I know leagues are not back in-game yet ( Mob) but if I were going to go back in to screw with sealed or something, anyone have tips/suggestions/crazy rule changes? Haven't played since early Ravnica block.

The major rule change:

You can no longer react to damage going on the stack in combat.  You used to assign damage, then get a chance to use an instant/ability, then damage resolves.  Now, combat damage is assigned and resolved.

Example:

Your opponent attacks you with a 2/2.  You block with a 2/2.  You have a Giant Growth in hand.  Opponent has Lightning Bolt in hand.

Old system:  You and opponent assign damage.  Now, you you can cast your Giant Growth on your creature.  This is the "smart" play.  Even if your opponent then burns your 2/2 with a lightning bolt before Growth resolves, you have still killed his creature.  Card advantage: even.

New system:  You assign blocker.  Before damage is assigned, if you want to save your creature, you have to cast Giant Growth.  Opponent can cast Bolt and burn out your creature.  Card advantage: -1 you.  If you don't Growth, you trade creatures.  If your opponent tries to burn your creature before damage, you can Giant Growth in response and trade creatures.

This makes creatures with sac effects much less useful.  Mogg Fanatic (1/1, sac to deal 1 damage to target creature or player) no longer trades with x/2s or kills multiple x/1s.
Strazos

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 07:49:20 AM

Hmm, that stinks. I use to have a red/green deck built around that to accelerate out mana and swing for the fences with pumped two-headed dragons.  Ohhhhh, I see. Is that an actual Rule/NowWorkingAsIntended change, or more of a mechanics-of-the-UI change?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 08:42:27 AM

You can still pump your guys, you just can't do it after damage goes on the stack.  So you just pump your beater in the "respond to attacking" or "respond to declare blockers" phase.

It's a rule to eliminate the stack tricks people used to use.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 10:57:15 AM

It's a rule to eliminate weirdness for new players. It was a bizarre rule to begin with, veteran and aggro players just happened to love it. Shit, I miss it.
Strazos

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 06:29:03 AM

Anything to worry about other than the stack issue? I miss sealed leagues.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:05:29 AM

Anything to worry about other than the stack issue? I miss sealed leagues.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Did you have Planeswalkers last time you played?
Strazos

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 08:07:46 AM

They may have (or Avatars or whatever) but I pretty much stuck to Standard Constructed and Sealed.

Fear the Backstab!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 01:29:34 PM

...They seriously don't have sealed leagues back yet?  After all this time?

W
T
F

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 01:35:57 PM

Sealed leagues make nearly no money, there's no reason for them to return. Ever.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 02:15:35 PM

The problem of course being they were the only reason to play for many of us.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 02:37:15 PM

Given the rumors that they're going to tie your online account to your real DCI number, I don't really think they give a rat's ass about casual players. This isn't even a little shocking though.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 02:08:59 PM

Given the rumors that they're going to tie your online account to your real DCI number, I don't really think they give a rat's ass about casual players.

Hasn't this rumor kind of always been around though?  Or is it a "they are really going to do it for real this time" thing?  swamp poop

For that matter whatever happened to rumors of a big MTGO overhaul, I heard rumors of making it just like a web interface even.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 02:13:51 PM

For that matter whatever happened to rumors of a big MTGO overhaul, I heard rumors of making it just like a web interface even.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/12062011d

Supposedly looking for Beta testers now.
Strazos

Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:22:06 AM

So what's the deal with these new Planeswalkers? Do you have to use them, even in Sealed? I don't even understand the cards when I look at them.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 11:55:30 AM

They're a card type, they go in your deck. Are you confusing them with the Vanguard avatar things? Those are not used in regular play at all.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Strazos

Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 11:57:56 AM

I don't know. They don't have power/toughness, no casting cost...they confuse me with their many abilities and not explanation.

Fear the Backstab!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 12:00:28 PM

They do have a casting cost.

A planeswalker card looks like this:

Rules, which are the first Google hit for "planeswalker rules"  tongue : http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=magic/rules/planeswalkers

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Strazos

Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 12:15:17 PM

Oh wow, they're pretty powerful - with Sarkhan Vol, for example, his +loyalty ability is to buff your own creatures. No idea why you would not just play that Every Damn Turn Possible. -loyalty steals a creature, --loyalty spawns dragons.

These guys seem a bit broken.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 12:28:54 PM

Oh wow, they're pretty powerful - with Sarkhan Vol, for example, his +loyalty ability is to buff your own creatures. No idea why you would not just play that Every Damn Turn Possible. -loyalty steals a creature, --loyalty spawns dragons.

These guys seem a bit broken.  Ohhhhh, I see.

You can only use one ability a turn, at sorcery speed.  Sarkhan Vol was not really played at all....  he showed up once or twice in mediocre token strategies.  Jace Beleran (which Ing linked) was played off and on in serious Constructed.  Jace, the Mind Sculptor was banned in STD and Modern.  A card like Garruk sees some play.

Basically, they are "fixed" enchantments.  Power is buffed, but with a way for every color to get rid of them (combat damage, burn, "destroy permanent" effects, counter).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Innistrad  
Jump to: