Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Dominion Temporarily Available 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dominion Temporarily Available  (Read 16301 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: September 21, 2011, 08:10:29 AM

I logged in and saw that message, FYI

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:35:20 AM

And played it once on my lowbie account...tried Xin for the first time and ripped everyone a new asshole (I just spammed qwerqweqweqweqwe : ). It's def fun and fast paced.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:37:03 AM

Poppy :)

Unbelievably fun with friends.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:49:10 AM

Poppy on a map you don't need to farm = VROOM SMOOSH!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:51:13 AM

Wait, you have more than one league of legends account......why?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:52:39 AM

Hehe sometimes its fun to stomp some lowbies who don't know how to play the game on a lower level alt summoner account.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:54:36 AM

Hehe sometimes its fun to stomp some lowbies who don't know how to play the game on a lower level alt summoner account.

I mean this with love, people that do this can fuck right off.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:02:44 AM

I can't see this, is it a lvl30 or US server-specific thing?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:57 AM

Wait, you have more than one league of legends account......why?

I have it to fuck around with at work. I have a shit computer here and don't want to taint my name! :) I play free week champs and fuck around basically.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:50:19 AM

I have an extra account for playing with folks who are new or for when I really can't deal with the intensity of a game at whatever my ELO is. Sometimes it is nice to play the game sans flash, jungling, and level 1 team fights.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:10:06 AM

Seems Dominion no longer available to play :(

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:52 AM

Seems pretty fun. It's LoL, stripped of all the unintuitive mechanics that make Classic strategy so opaque to new players. No last hitting, no wards, no jungle timers, just hero fights and map control. I think AD champs are weaker due to the lack of a late game, but otherwise I can't make any calls regarding balance (I managed 4 games in the two-hour window it was open).

I suspect that if Classic were released after Dominion, people would take one look at it, say "lol, pve," and ignore it. Kind of doubting Dominion can overcome the momentum Classic has at this point though in the competitive scene.

I do think Classic does a better job of making team dynamics important; in Dominion you get a steady, rapid flow of gold and xp so champ kills are a lot less of a big deal. Really seems to de-emphasize careful ganking and baiting; everyone spent most of their time in my games just running haphazardly from point to point. That could just be because everyone is new though; we'll see.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 02:12:09 PM

I mean this with love, people that do this can fuck right off.

Hehe I know mostly my smurf account is to play with friends who just joined lol so I can group with them a bit more on random without my summoner level skewing things like crazy.

What was seen this morning with all the level 1 accounts though I think was more a matter of Euro people making NA accounts to play dominion since it was actually closer to their prime time and more of them were on than US players.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 02:15:19 PM

Seems pretty fun. It's LoL, stripped of all the unintuitive mechanics that make Classic strategy so opaque to new players. No last hitting, no wards, no jungle timers, just hero fights and map control. I think AD champs are weaker due to the lack of a late game, but otherwise I can't make any calls regarding balance (I managed 4 games in the two-hour window it was open).

I suspect that if Classic were released after Dominion, people would take one look at it, say "lol, pve," and ignore it. Kind of doubting Dominion can overcome the momentum Classic has at this point though in the competitive scene.

I do think Classic does a better job of making team dynamics important; in Dominion you get a steady, rapid flow of gold and xp so champ kills are a lot less of a big deal. Really seems to de-emphasize careful ganking and baiting; everyone spent most of their time in my games just running haphazardly from point to point. That could just be because everyone is new though; we'll see.

The one nice thing about dominion is its almost 100% PVP without the 20-25 minutes of semi passive farming we see in the ranked matches.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:43 PM

My only worry for Dominion is going to be players who have only played Dominion games joining normal games with me and thinking they are pro but having no clue.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 11:50:11 AM

Back up gents.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 12:32:02 PM

I played a few games of D, great fun. It's good that the games are shorter, as it removes one of the big hurdles of playing LoL after a workday. I'm usually way too tired to play more than one regular game, unless I'm grouping with friends.

Balance wise, it seems to me that frail ranged types really suffer. The one constant of my games (using Xin Zhao and Sion) was ganking Ashe over and over. Speed 3 boots + phage = dead ranged.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 02:30:20 PM

First game as Morgana.

Impressions:

- This game really sucks if you are a support character, or lack an escape.
 - This mode is made for tanky DPS
 - You can mostly ignore the minoins, but having a wave with you can really speed up captures
 - At the moment, blobbing seems to be the most sucessful strategy. Have a ball of four champs rolling over the opponents and then have another interrupting backdoor captures
 - Everything happens too fast, and I'm not sure what is going on a lot of the time
 - Capturing nodes is more important than hunting enemy heroes.

Overall I'd say this mode is fun, but I think in general I prefer the pace of Classic. I think players who are attached to squishy support heroes and carries will find the initial meta so unfavourable that it will really put them off. This is definitely going to take quite a lot of effort to balance.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:07 PM

I played a match with Morgana here a few mins ago.

Really like Dominion, but Morgana just doesn't have the run-speed or burst dmg to really shine (though I was pretty pro at turret saving with the new fortifylike spell).

Guess I am going to have to learn a tanky DPS for realz now.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM

First impressions of dominion are hilarious. People are still playing it like it's a game where kills matter, at the end of the game everyone was like "wtf how did you win?"

Seriously people, teamwork. Being an old hand at arathi basin it was very simple to grasp, whole team fighting elsewhere? ninja node.  Mine was a fairly quick game as morgana but I had no trouble with her in this playstyle. It just wasn't about dps at all just root and run. I ended up with 3/2/11 and 9 captures 7 assists in a 13min game.

I can see some people say it's hard to come back from a early game disadvantage, an early 5cap in AB was just the same way but I'm not sure that's the fault of the map. The games are also quick so if it's over soon it's over.

I really wouldn't discount support classes in this mode though, there was more than once a clutch root kept someone from my team mate capturing a node. In this game kills mean fuckall if you aren't controlling the board.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 03:12:49 PM

This isn't as different as I thought.   If you just run around ganking or capping you'll lose.   Basically you treat the circle like 2 lanes and cap towers or defend them.   Going through the mid if they group up on one side makes sense but in general you just grab a speed buff to get to where you want to go.   A good team will have 2 groups and just defend at top and the 2 towers next to your base.   If your heros start slaughtering them then you can start 4 or 5 capping.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 03:17:57 PM

The quest system is supposed to provide an incentive not to turtle. Not sure how much the bonuses are though.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 03:24:39 PM

It gives you a 10% dmg buff, maybe some gold/xp/nexus points too.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 03:28:14 PM

The quest system is supposed to provide an incentive not to turtle. Not sure how much the bonuses are though.

From what I've seen the quest just causes a team fight between two adjacent nodes.   It's interesting but defending still matters in that case.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 03:29:48 PM

You get a chunk of nexus points for winning the quest.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 03:36:14 PM

Also, I'm pretty sure Tear/Archangel isn't the right Karthus build: but spamming Lay Waste before the game starts is pretty cute.

Karthus is actually not so much about Requiem as he is just about holding points. You killed him? Fine. Now spend another seven seconds waiting before you can actually start to cap, which in Dominion, feels like an eternity. I'm not sure that's actually worth it: I found myself more valuable running around with Defile up and dying quick.

What do the minions actually do? Do they actually take down towers?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 03:38:35 PM

I just noticed dominion adds an overall 'rank' for your team, k9, you got top total points that game with morg, only higher was other teams jax. With my own last two plays I got top rank as morg as well and I gotta say, she's not a ganker but she can ninja/harass nodes REALLY fucking well in this game.

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 03:48:22 PM

Played 4 matches today. Its new and shiny right now, but I think I prefer classic. Classic has a slower pace that I enjoy more, where they just feels chaotic. In my games today, I never really got to a point where I was thinking ahead, it was just move to nearest tower and Fight if enemy, capture/move on if not. Maybe once I get more used to the map and how it flows it will become more interesting for me.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 04:05:57 PM

Best part of dominion? Little to no time for players to be obnoxious assholes in chat

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 04:09:36 PM

Yeah, Im thinking Ill only be playing SR with 5 mans from now on  awesome, for real
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 04:36:16 PM

What do the minions actually do? Do they actually take down towers?

Yea if you build up a fair size creep wave they will cap faster than heroes even.   That and gold pinata.   They give a lot more than normal mode.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:10 PM

Tried it...pretty sure I don't like it at all.  You just run around the map fighting and taking fights but it seems to have very little strategy involved.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:38:16 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 07:23:26 PM

Tried it...pretty sure I don't like it at all.  You just run around the map fighting and taking fights but it seems to have very little strategy involved.

Really right now people are fighting too much.  As the day has gone by people have been steadily playing more conservatively.  I see a lot more games where people defend instead of running around like a headless chicken atm.   Nobody knows good item builds either so it's so very random.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 09:29:38 PM

Why would the item builds be so different? AP still buys AP items, AD buys AD, etc.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 09:34:53 PM

There's a couple of items that increase your capture speed.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Dominion Temporarily Available  
Jump to: