Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:23:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Banned list update, 9/20/2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Banned list update, 9/20/2011  (Read 5261 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: September 20, 2011, 09:24:58 PM

Fresh changes, although I realize Schild and I are the only ones that probably give a shit:

Modern
Blazing Shoal is banned.
Cloudpost is banned.
Green Sun's Zenith is banned.
Ponder is banned.
Preordain is banned.
Rite of Flame is banned.

Extended

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is banned.
Mental Misstep is banned.
Ponder is banned.
Preordain is banned.
Stoneforge Mystic is banned.

Legacy
Mental Misstep is banned.

Vintage
Fact or Fiction is no longer restricted.

Link here:  http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/161b

WOW.  The banning of Mental Misstep is huge for Legacy, and the Modern landscape has been completely rearranged.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:09:24 AM

I love the Mental Misstep ban in legacy because it makes my deck of choice Tier 1 again. Mental Misstep was great for stopping turn 2 kills, and I'm not entirely sure they should've banned it. But whatever.
* schild reconstructs Painter's Stone.

As for the other bans, the only one I disagree with is Green Sun's Zenith. Bitterblossom and Jace should've been unbanned. Jitte also (without Stoneforge it's just another card).

Fact or Fiction was a long time coming for vintage.

Extended is dead.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 01:32:52 PM

I love the Mental Misstep ban in legacy because it makes my deck of choice Tier 1 again. Mental Misstep was great for stopping turn 2 kills, and I'm not entirely sure they should've banned it. But whatever.
* schild reconstructs Painter's Stone.

As for the other bans, the only one I disagree with is Green Sun's Zenith. Bitterblossom and Jace should've been unbanned. Jitte also (without Stoneforge it's just another card).

Fact or Fiction was a long time coming for vintage.

Extended is dead.

Have you played with Green Sun's Zenith in modern?  It's really, really, really powerful there.  It's like running 8 copies of goyf, and enables much of the craziness that is the base of the zoo/counter-cat type decks by running out either early beaters or silver bullets (Gaddock Teeg or the 2/2 critter I can never remember that sacs to destroy an arty/enchantment or baloth for lifegain to get out of the red zone or whatever).

With mana accel strategies, it runs out whatever you need at the moment from Dryad Arbor to Primeval Titan.

Tutors that put things into play are always a danger, even if they don't cheat mana costs.

I think Bitterblossum could come off, though I'm okay leaving both Jace and Jitte on the list for a bit longer.  Jitte is probably alright to come off the list.  Jace can go away, as it eliminates way too much design/deckbuilding space for control decks.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Banned list update, 9/20/2011  
Jump to: