Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Pokemon TCG Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pokemon TCG Online  (Read 8760 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:56 PM

www.pokemontcg.com

Has just gone into open beta.  It's a bit clunky, but it works.  Make sure you go through the tuts so you can get bonus tokens.

edit:
Make sure you wait a while at the start screens... takes a while to load
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:08:36 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 03:06:55 PM

It looks official. The legal info link says it's from Nintendo.  I"m very surprised.

I never played the card game, is it any good?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 03:13:43 PM

It looks official. The legal info link says it's from Nintendo.  I"m very surprised.

It was originally developed in co-op with WotC, when it first came out back in '99.  Small group of friends and I played for the first few editions.  It actually plays a lot like a cross between Magic and the Pokemon video game...part of your deck is resource cards, the other part are Pokemon, of which you can only have 6 on the table at a time, with one of them being 'active'.  You've also got item cards just like from the game to give you boosts and what-not.

Will have to give this a shot.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:18:33 PM

Have you been to your local FLGS or gamestore of late?  If MtG is meth, Pokemon is crack.  Granted, the latter is much more for kids - the gameplay is much simpler and the coin-tosses add a lot of randomness.

I've just been going through the AI leagues to get reacquainted with it.  The AI is just  awesome, for real.  It's definitely there as simple filler while you hone your skills for MP play, which I have yet to play with.

MtG is obviously the better game, but the simplicity of Pokemon does have its advantages especially when you just wanna futz around.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:30:26 PM

Nice.  It seems your pokemon can evolve through all stage stage during a game.  It doesn't fit with pokemon evolution in the video game.  Minor gripe I guess.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:38:35 PM

Nice.  It seems your pokemon can evolve through all stage stage during a game.  It doesn't fit with pokemon evolution in the video game.  Minor gripe I guess.

Just forget about the video game.  The TCG is an entirely different industry, and a very profitable one I might add.  At this point, kids collect the cards... THEN worry about the video game, not the other way around.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 01:07:56 PM

*sigh* yet another browser game I can't play because it calls a different port to connect to, which my workplace blocks  Cry

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:22:34 AM

Well, I've gotten through the first championship.  Unlocks all the basic decks, at which point you can start deckbuilding for MP with red/blue/green and colorless-yellow.
In the next challenge it'll be interesting to see if the AI gets any better or the cards simply get better, 'cause for the most part the AI is pretty daft... but it did seem to get better in the 2nd league.

In any case, I've had fun with it so far.  Oddly enough, not a huge amount of people in the lobby.  hmmmm

schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 07:00:58 PM

So, I learned how to play Pokemon by playing this.

As someone who learned how to play Magic when he was 12, I feel confident saying:
Kids are stupid these days - but I blame their parents for that.
Pokemon is bad.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 09:35:22 AM

Gave this a whirl over the weekend -- Pokemon X on my 3DS was my introduction to the realm of all that is Pokemon.

Game interface decently done, IMV works better than Magic Online, though only complaint is that when searching through the deck, there is no "magnify" icon. That and the series of "confirmation" screens when swapping in/out of play/deck is tedious.

On the actual game or gameplay itself, it is a lot more simplified than MTG or just about any other CCG/TCG I've ever played. The flipping coins bit is really silly but I presume that's about the simplest manner of introducing randomness into a card game marketed to children. I reckon there are some rare cards with uber-features but on the whole, it just seems like there's not much strategy other than being cognizant of energy v. energy strength/weakness and swapping in/out from bench. And the AI in single player (have not done MP yet and it's unlikely that I would ever pay a cent for any cards here) is weak.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Pokemon TCG Online  
Jump to: