Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: CryEngine 3 - Now on the 'Free' Bandwagon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CryEngine 3 - Now on the 'Free' Bandwagon  (Read 5015 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: August 29, 2011, 07:18:18 PM

http://source.crydev.net/dm_eds/download_detail.php?id=4

Dunno how this missed this forum but yup, the other day CryEngine 3 went free, just like UE3 and Unity.  If you go commercial I believe the base contract is 20% of revenues, otherwise the entire toolset is totally free.

So, what are the caveats so far?  Lack of support, just like Unity when it came out.  This to me is the huge advantage UE3 has over literally every other engine on the market, shear volume of available assets and information.  Plus, imo their editor is the easiest to use.

The advantage of Cryengine3 (from what I can see).  Real-time editing cross platform for one.  Hook up a ps3 and 360 to your PC and edit them all simultaneously.  Porting is also a lot simpler supposedly (just click a button).  Unlike Unity though, it doesnt have browser support.  Also, it obviously dominates in the terrain department... especially large, open worlds.  Leaves are perdy and all that.

njoy!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:43:03 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:59 PM

This is very cool. I'm on the other side, I find Unity easier than UE3 (although less powerful) but it's awesome to see engines available like this.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: CryEngine 3 - Now on the 'Free' Bandwagon  
Jump to: