Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:28:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Book Review - Character Development and Storytelling for Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book Review - Character Development and Storytelling for Games  (Read 3031 times)
Evangolis
Contributor

on: February 10, 2005, 01:08:26 PM

I went to a talk by Lee Sheldon in the last session of the 2004 AGC.  I don’t remember the topic, or much of what he said, but I do remember he plugged his new book, “Character Development and Storytelling for Games”.  Whatever he talked about, I was sufficiently interested in it to make a point of ordering a copy when I got home.  Here is a review of that book, starting with his intention, laid out in the first sentence.

“Character Development and Storytelling for Games is meant to be a resource for writers and designers and those who must work with us and who may want to talk intelligently with us at some point.”

Here is how I think he did.  Pretty well.

This isn’t a book that will teach you how to write, except by example.  It is rambling in a comfortable, conversational way; a very readable book, but then I would expect a man who has been making his living as a writer for several decades to produce something very readable.  It isn’t a step-by-step or cookbook of writing, detailing pacing schemes and such, although it does discuss a variety of features and techniques of writing stories in games.  The conversational style, together with the breadth of subject matter covered, does tend to defocus the book, but I think that was a necessary tradeoff, not a shortcoming.

This is a general audience book, as the first sentence indicates.  As such, most experienced game writers won’t be finding much that is new here.  So those twelve people probably shouldn’t bother reading this book.  The rest of us might get something out of it.  Let me thumbnail the book for you, and you decide.

The first section is a couple of chapters of background.  It deals with the general questions of why make games and why tell stories in them, and then proceeds to expound one of the author’s themes, namely that telling stories is telling stories, regardless of medium.  Not that the medium is irrelevant to how you tell a story, but that lessons and standards from more traditional literary modes generally have relevance to telling stories in games.

The next section, “Creating Characters”, covers characters, dealing mostly in basic concepts, but applying those concepts to the special issues created by writing for games.  For example, the fact that the protagonist is the Player Character produces some unique considerations.  Sheldon has rather a lot to say about respecting characters, something he clearly feels many games fail to do.

The next section, “Telling the Story”, takes a similar treatment of story, the elements of story, and storytelling techniques as they apply to games.  Here the author climbs onto a number of soapboxes.  The one that impressed me most was his emphasis on telling story directly in gameplay, rather than through cutscenes or backstory.  I was also interested in his arguments for modular storytelling in games.  Both of these ideas seem to me to hold considerable promise for improving both storytelling and gameplay in games.

The remaining large section, “Games People Play”, considers story as it relates to different types of games, and different genres of games, as well as considerations applying to console games and virtual worlds.  Some of the material in this section was rather abbreviated, but the chapters on virtual worlds reflect considerable interest by the author in MMO writing and design.  I think this disparity of depth gives the book a somewhat uneven feel, but I can’t say I’d have done it any differently.

There is a concluding chapter, and a couple of appendices, short, but worth reading.  The book conveys a reasonable quantity of information, a fair amount of personal opinion, and a few good jokes, together with some jokes that are less successful.

My only complaint is that the author tends to lapse into “when I was writing Charlie’s Angels”, or “Edge of Night”, or whatever a bit too often for my taste.  I also suspect that folks here will find him a bit too forgiving of some games.  These, however, are minor quibbles against a book that is both comfortable and interesting to read.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 01:27:49 PM

Sounds like a good read.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 08:17:37 PM

Aye, does sound interesting.  Adding to my wishlist...

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 09:06:13 PM

I've read several books on writing for games now, and this is easily the best combination of accessibility and relevance.  The other books I've read include: "Hamlet on the Holodeck", which is also a pleasant read, but is starting to show it's age; "Creating Emotion in Games: The Craft and Art of Emotioneering", a more specific, technical, and, to me, at least, less pleasant and thoughtful book; and "Cybertext: Perspectives on Ergodic Literature", which is a technical work, filled with the most turgid and impenetrable of academic style.  On the other hand, while I can usually get through no more that ten pages of Cybertext before I need a break, I find my mind exploding with ideas and insights for hours afterward.  Tortured visions, as it were.

In any event, I find Sheldon's book more pleasant and relevant than what I've read before.  Not that I agree with everything he says, but I at least find his perspectives interesting.

For those who wish to live dangerously, I found a few lists on Amazon that might be of interest.  Greg Costikyan's list, "Worthwhile Books on Game Design" was notable to me because while I had read about a third of it, I have a high opinion of every book on it that I have read.  Rich Wilson's list "Game Design Library" also caught my eye, and I added a couple of books on it to my 'when I have a job' list.  And, of course, if I'm going to do Amazon Lists, I should add Raph's list, mostly for the non-game stuff on it.

There are some other books on the topic out there.  Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling might be interesting, but without somebody jumping up and down and pointing to it, there is no way it will make it on my technical/professional reading list this year.  Other than that, things seem to get pretty academic pretty quick, and while that sort of thing tends to be to my brain what a shot of nitrous is to a street rod, taking my brain street rodding is a hobby best enjoyed in moderation.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 09:10:48 PM

Hamlet on the Holodeck and some of the other books you mentioned are the type of stuff you take as a digital media major/minor. I know because I took it. And having to discuss those books in an educational setting is godawful. Game design theory is one thing. These new authors with very few notable works writing about the vastness of the net and the new ways of telling stories and how the future will radically change and how it has changed is all such high-falutin BS.

Sorry. Got carried away. I really fucking hated the teacher who assigned that stuff to me.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Book Review - Character Development and Storytelling for Games  
Jump to: