Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 09:32:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#4 - Playoffs 1/2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: S#4 - Playoffs 1/2  (Read 10960 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 07:41:32 AM

Gah, how do you punks have so much cash? I can't even afford a bench!

Looks like Comstar could have had a little more run with the dice, but it's a hard win even when the numbers fall your way.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:48:20 AM by lamaros »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 09:08:39 AM

Awesome, guys. I'm advancing the day right now. Llyse and AndyDavo can play ANY MINUTE for the 4th f13 undisputed Champion!

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 04:48:40 PM

Comstar responds with some beautiful dodging to form a solid cage in front of the touchdown line. I try to counter but Benson the Hedge Knight roll double skulls and i decide to let the result stay since Comstar can either stall and let me beat up on his team or take the lead decisively. Comstar throws some blocks buts decides to score, having 5 rerolls to my 3.

This whole series of turns was absolutely mind-boggling for this observer. I assumed you had misclicked and accidentally decided not to reroll -- and that Comstar had then taken pity on your UI error and scored immediately. Insane decision making on both sides -- if you want to beat up his players to force him to score, turning over on the first block without moving any of your players is not the way to do it, especially when you have 3+ rerolls left. As for Comstar scoring instead of stalling when he had two thirds of his team between your players and the ball, that could have easily been the difference between overtime and the loss.

Other than that, I think the d6 stats were pretty revealing. The number of GFIs the Amazons made without failure was impressive (31/32!), and the Necros didn't fail a single roll, which helps explain why they had so many rerolls -- ending the first half with 4/3.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 04:56:32 PM

As for Comstar scoring instead of stalling when he had two thirds of his team between your players and the ball, that could have easily been the difference between overtime and the loss.

I was paused there for some time thinking about it. I decided to make the TD because he had 2 Frenzying Werewolves and enough players with Tackle to be able to punch a hole and get a player with Tackle next to the ball carrier. And I didn't want to spend any time next to his other guys so they could punch me (which really starting causing trouble at the start of the 2nd half when I lost 2 players).

If my wizard had worked, I probably would have got a 2nd TD in the first half, which was the plan. Didn't quite work out :(

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 05:58:24 AM

Just watching your game against Andy for any ideas on how to play him, Can you tell me why you chose to Kick instead of Receive? (I would do the same but am curious at your reasons)
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 07:16:30 AM

Just watching your game against Andy for any ideas on how to play him, Can you tell me why you chose to Kick instead of Receive? (I would do the same but am curious at your reasons)

Assuming you're asking me: I chose to kick because a) defense is harder to screw up, and I tend to make more mistakes early, and b) assuming a relatively even match, the worst case is to start the second half down 1-0 while receiving, which means you're still in the game. There was no way Andy was going to score twice, barring disaster, and if I played well I could either get a stop (which I did) or force him to score quickly, giving me a chance to equalize. On the other hand, if I received and Andy managed a stop or a defensive score, I didn't much rate my chances of getting back into the game.

I would basically never choose to receive with my current team -- the main reason I can see to receive is to try and control/dominate the game through inflicting casualties, and my team doesn't have a single player with Mighty Blow, so that's just not going to be a winning strategy. And against teams that out-bash me (not including Andy's team), I'd rather ensure I have all my positionals in play on defense than on offense.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:21 PM

Usually I kick because defence is easier with more players on the pitch.

I playoffs I favour recieving because if you can finish the first half 1-0 up, the extra time rules mean that you can take as long as you like to respond to the opposition scoring.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 01:08:29 PM

I kick because, dwarves.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 02:38:15 PM

I receive because...Norse. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 02:54:34 PM

I kick because if the other player scores twice, Khemri are screwed.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 02:55:25 PM

I kick because if the other player scores twice, Khemri are screwed.

Yeah, dwarves have the same issue. Kicking ideally lets you go into the half with a tie, then you plan on an 8 turn drive for the win in the 2nd half.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#4 - Playoffs 1/2  
Jump to: