Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: AD / AP / attack speed / what is going on here 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AD / AP / attack speed / what is going on here  (Read 4897 times)
ffc
Terracotta Army

on: July 23, 2011, 04:16:38 PM

Started playing a few weeks ago and while I no longer die instantly when everybody balls up into a technicolor parade I can't tell if melee / ranged damage is AP / AD, whether attack speed applies to both, and what it means when an ability's +Y bonus damage text explanation is colored blue versus orange.

Is there an easy way to tell in a match which champion is doing which kind of damage?  I was looking at what items people buy during the match to give me clues but when I see lifesteal items I have no idea what to make of it.  Took a peek into the AP ratio thread link and that was  swamp poop

My internet has provided me no answers to these basic questions.  But boy have I found pages of information on the minutiae of rune selection. Please help.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:26:28 PM

Ranged/melee doesn't really have any definitive bearing on whether they're an AD or an AP champion. Not all of the champions just use one (AD/AP), some champions like Akali or Kayle benefit from both. Blue means AP and orange means AD (unless the skill specifically says it scales off something else). Attack speed applies to just regular old right click attacks, both ranged and melee. There's lifesteal and spell vamp, AD and AP respectively, so if they have a vampiric scepter they're probably an AD champion but a hextech revolver is an AP item. I've only been playing a bit more than a month so I haven't played all the champions but I try all of them when they're free, that's the most foolproof way of knowing what kind of damage they do.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:41:33 PM

Started playing a few weeks ago and while I no longer die instantly when everybody balls up into a technicolor parade I can't tell if melee / ranged damage is AP / AD, whether attack speed applies to both, and what it means when an ability's +Y bonus damage text explanation is colored blue versus orange.

Is there an easy way to tell in a match which champion is doing which kind of damage?  I was looking at what items people buy during the match to give me clues but when I see lifesteal items I have no idea what to make of it.  Took a peek into the AP ratio thread link and that was  swamp poop.  

My internet has provided me no answers to these basic questions.  But boy have I found pages of information on the minutiae of rune selection. Please help.

The only way to tell beforehand what kind of damage a champ is doing is to know the champ, unfortunately.  Generally, autoattacks (ranged or melee) will do physical (AD) damage.  Most spells will do magic (AP) damage,  but there are some champs whose skills deal physical damage.  Generally, the ability says in the tooltip what type of damage (physical or magical) it deals.  Probably the best way to tell what type of damage your enemy is using is to look at their items (which you can check from the scoreboard with the tab key); if they've got a lot of AP items, they're likely to be doing mostly magic damage, and AD items suggest a physical damage build.  Some champs can be built to use either AP or AD (or both) so you'll want to look at their inventory to check which they've focused on.

As Azure says, attack speed only applies to autoattacks (which decreases the time each autoattack takes).  The closest equivalent for magic is cooldown reduction, which reduces the cooldowns on your abilities and allows you to use abilities faster (this is capped at 40%, if I recall correctly).

The colored tooltips on items tell you if it's getting a bonus from AD or AP.  Orange is for AD and blue is for AP.  For example, as far as I can recall (it's been a while since I played), Veigar uses only AP, so all his abilities will have the damage bonus in blue.  Tryndamere, on the other hand, has spinning slash, which scales off his AD, so the damage bonus would be in orange.  Ezreal's mystic shot scales with both AD and AP (it I remember right), so it's got both an orange and blue number next to it, showing how much damage it gets from each.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:48:11 PM by Kail »
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:58:05 PM

Mighty fine explanations, thank you.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 07:28:47 AM

For champs that maximize attack speed, you'll need to look at what they are building to figure it out.  If they have Malice, Wit's End, or Bloodrazor they are adding magic damage to their auto-attacks and you will be better off going with MR items to reduce the damage they do.

Another quick way to figure it out is to look at the recap after you die.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:27:19 PM

I usually find the easiest way to see what sort of damage people are building is just to check your death recap if you're not familiar with the champion. It'll tell you what abilities you were hit by, how much damage they did, and what type of damage.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29:21 PM

...Recap? -.- Gah.

Perhaps this would have been useful when I kept dying to sparkly attacks and since everyone knows sparkles = magic, which I now understand = AP, I stacked magic resist cloaks only to see the end of game graph showing physical damage was an order of magnitude higher than magic. I think Twisted Fate was one of the offenders.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 02:37:46 PM

Remember that minion/tower/neutral damage will be on that screen.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 03:25:45 PM

TF usually builds Attack Damage at this point. The magic sparkles he hits you with are Spell Power attacks, but if you check your death re-cap you'd probably see that his biggest damage to you was auto-attacks.

When you die there should be a bar in the middle of your screen that says "you have died" and you can click that for details. Something like that anyway, exact phrase may be different.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 03:58:02 PM

TF usually builds Attack Damage at this point.

I can't remember the last TF I saw that was solid AD.  Most are AP or maybe hybrid that I see.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51:02 AM

TF usually builds Attack Damage at this point.

I can't remember the last TF I saw that was solid AD.  Most are AP or maybe hybrid that I see.

One thing to note is you can tell what type of damage your powers do by looking at the descriptions. Numbers that are green are AP numbers that are orange are AD.

In general most casters will build AP other than odd balls like ezreal. In general most melee fighters like AD.

If you are doing most of your damage using active powers Attack speed is not as important. If like kogmaw you do almost all your damage via your auto attack then attack speed can be a huge benefit.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:33:23 PM

One thing to note is you can tell what type of damage your powers do by looking at the descriptions. Numbers that are green are AP numbers that are orange are AD.

Sadly, this is not the whole story either.  Take Yoric as an example: as of the Wukong patch his W scales off of AP and does magic damage.  His E scales off of AD and does magic damage.  His Q scales off of AD and does physical damage.

You must read the whole spell description to figure out what kind of damage it does (although in general if it scales off of AD, it does physical damage).  (or just wait until they kill you and let the recap telly you)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 07:18:31 AM

Sadly, this is not the whole story either.  Take Yoric as an example: as of the Wukong patch his W scales off of AP and does magic damage.  His E scales off of AD and does magic damage.  His Q scales off of AD and does physical damage.

You must read the whole spell description to figure out what kind of damage it does (although in general if it scales off of AD, it does physical damage).  (or just wait until they kill you and let the recap telly you)

Yes there are some odd ball champs. Yorick is a very screwy champ with his mechanics and how things scale. His q scales off his total AD his E scales off his BONUS AD and does magic damage instead of physical.

There are rules of thumb to figure somethings out but once you learn them you will start spotting the odd ball champs that do not conform to them. Reading the death recap is something I recommend it helps show you what defenses you need to focus on and what damage types the abilities are doing to you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: AD / AP / attack speed / what is going on here  
Jump to: