Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:05:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Beavis and Butthead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beavis and Butthead  (Read 4425 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

on: July 22, 2011, 01:57:37 PM

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50496

A few scenes from the new episodes.  That was actually funnier than i remembered.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:02:36 PM

"If they made this chart long enough they could trace it back to the origin of herpes."

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 07:28:40 PM

I find it a bit sad that since MTV no longer shows music videos, they were sitting around and cracking jokes about Jersey Shore.  Some amusing stuff though. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:34:38 PM

I think they were trying to avoid the problem that kept the old show from being released on DVD from happening again.  Easier to just use the stuff you own the rights for.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:44:10 PM

"This is like a family tree... if your family was full of whores."

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:29:10 PM

I have to agree, I laughed really damn hard at the jersey shore parts, also "You screwed your hands"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:36:43 AM

I think they were trying to avoid the problem that kept the old show from being released on DVD from happening again.  Easier to just use the stuff you own the rights for.

Hells yeah.  Look how long it took WKRP to be released with different music.  Even harder with videos.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:01:12 AM

Talking about that just reminds me that The Wonder Years is still not on DVD because of music licensing. cry

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:03:12 AM

Same with Daria and The State.  90's MTV was in the bad habit of plastering whatever music was in heavy rotation at the time all over their shows.  Kinda fucked them in the ass on the DVD rights.

I am the .00000001428%
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 07:25:55 AM

So basically MTV is using this to have commercials for their other shows within Beavis and Butthead.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:14 AM

Pretty much.  But if the evening news can do it, why not MTV?  At least you get a joke out of it.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 08:23:16 AM

I never understood why record companies throw such fits about re-use of music in video releases of television shows. The whole point of allowing the songs to be used in TV shows in the first place is to try and sell more records overall. Sure, I know there is the whole broadcast royalties thing but come on. It is money they aren't making otherwise.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 08:24:08 AM

So basically MTV is using this to have commercials for their other shows within Beavis and Butthead.

Well, the old show was really more or less animated Video jockeys.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 08:33:14 AM

I never understood why record companies throw such fits about re-use of music in video releases of television shows. The whole point of allowing the songs to be used in TV shows in the first place is to try and sell more records overall. Sure, I know there is the whole broadcast royalties thing but come on. It is money they aren't making otherwise.
Just brainstorming here but does it have to do with difference in profit potential between the original airing and subsequent video release? For example with older shows such as The Wonder Years, DVD releases will obviously sell but would they sell enough to be worth the licensing fees?

Well, the old show was really more or less animated Video jockeys.
At least with (most) of the videos they didn't make me want to kill myself.

Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 09:18:23 AM

When I heard about this, I was really worried this was going to be one of those really lame remakes, where watching it makes you like the original less. If what they showed is what we can expect from the series, I will be so happy, that was just great. "This is like a family tree... if your family was full of whores."

I've heard that the problem for B&B is less that the record companies throw fits than that there are so many video samples that it becomes a huge amount of work just to track down who has the dvd rights for the videos to find someone to even ask for permission in the first place. A lot of the agreements weren't really standardized at the time, so it can get really messy. And if you find that it's at a big company, they might only be willing to sign a standardized royalty agreement that's excessively expensive for as many videos used for such short bits as B&B does. And of course, if you just put it out there without making sure you have the rights, you're making yourself a juicy target for a lawsuit.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 09:37:58 AM

And that's assuming you aren't running into individuals who are pissed you were lampooning them in the first place.  I've seen it mentioned a few places that MST3K runs into that with some episodes they try to put on DVDs.  The person signed the TV deal in the 90s, but later saw the show and are so pissed they refuse to sign a new release for modern media.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 10:38:45 AM

You must understand how EXPENSIVE some of these rights are. I worked peripherally on the web site for a movie release a few years ago. The director/producer/writer/series owner wanted a particular song in the film and bought the rights for it. He didn't even buy the rights for the whole song, maybe a 1-minute clip at most. It cost $75,000 and this was a song that was probably 30 years old. Now imagine $75k times 4 or 5 clips PER EPISODE with what 6-10 episodes per disk? That's a fuckload of money to take right off the top of any profit you might make for releasing the damn things. It doesn't surprise me one bit that they aren't on DVD for that reason alone.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 11:28:19 AM

Daria and The State got around it by replacing the original songs with covers.  B & B used the actual videos as part of the show though so they didn't have that option, they released the episodes without the video sections to much uproar.

I am the .00000001428%
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 11:34:07 AM

The second season of Happy Days went a step further and just replaced all the great period music with generic tunes. It's strange that I think it was the only season they did that for.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 09:17:01 PM

Daria and The State got around it by replacing the original songs with covers. 

Yeah, but after watching the original episodes, it kinda sucks. The music helped set the tone of the series. :(

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 02:45:26 AM

And the State failed on this ultimately because Barry and Levon just isn't Barry and Levon without Sexual Healing.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 01:52:19 PM

Fascinating fact I discovered while poking around for Beavis and Butthead information: the song "Lesbian Seagull" was an actual, serious song. I always thought it was an absurd parody song with over the top inspiring lyrics, but it was actually a straight-up, no-joke release by an artist.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Beavis and Butthead  
Jump to: