Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Alphas 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alphas  (Read 10358 times)
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

on: July 18, 2011, 04:43:19 AM

Syfy answer to heroes long after heroes walking corpses finished decomposing. I like it, though what passes for dialogue and realism is people talking over each it, the set up works. Basically super powers are regulated to just being "superhuman" as oppose to supernatural, so stuff like flying and being immortal ain't likely, but super senses that shut off your other senses and super strength that gives you chest problems later are the type of powers we deal with.  The supers are few but apparently they are enough of them that the government has a liaison that works with and partially dicks over our main group of supers, called alphas.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:56:11 AM

Head scratch

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:24:05 AM

To try to translate that spew of idiocy from DLRiley.

Alphas is a new show on SyFy about a team of super-powered people in real life situations. It premiered last Monday night. I DVR'ed and watched it. It's definitely worth watching, though comparing it to Heroes really doesn't do it justice. It's a much more naturalistic style of super-powers. Everyone with powers has a significant setback. The super-strength guy can't go too long using his powers or he has a heart attack. And he seems to have serious anger issues. The guy who can see all electromagnetic energy (basically wiretap any phone call or video feed) is socially retarded. The chick whose senses are super can't use her other senses when she's focused on something. It's a decent premise, with a decent cast. The only problem I had with it was that the characters intentionally talk over each other kind of the way Downey and Paltrow did in the Iron Man movies only they aren't as good at it so the whole things seems muddled.

It's worth a watch.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:55:36 PM

So it's DP7?

Obscure but relevant reference for the win!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:03:14 AM

Yeah, DP7 is actually a good comparison, only instead of wandering outlaws, it's the team as put together by Xavier if he had no superpowers other than annoying hippy psychotherapy.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:30:28 PM

Starting to remind me of mutant x...except it made by people who don't want to make a live action xmen with 1/0000000th of the budget of the first xmen movie.
Didn't i mention this show delivers? It delivers.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:35:26 PM

Mutant X was pretty good. I liked the episode where Krista Allen played some sexy super-villain with seductive pheromone powers.

Ok...that was the only episode I watched. But I assume they were all that awesome.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:57:11 AM

Mutant X was pretty good. I liked the episode where Krista Allen played some sexy super-villain with seductive pheromone powers.

Ok...that was the only episode I watched. But I assume they were all that awesome.

It was hammy.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:12:04 AM

This show is surprisingly quite good.

I am the .00000001428%
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:13 AM

You mean its  DRILLING AND MANLINESS and pretty trippy  swamp poop
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:10:39 PM

I'm enjoying it. I'm waiting for the big "twist" when we find out the crazy murdering alpha was actually right and the government has horrible plans for the Alphas.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 08:25:42 PM

Wouldn't be much of a twist, they've been hinting in every episode that whatever they are doing with the captured alphas is kinda fucked up.  "Obviously working for the bad guys" was fairly clear from the very start.

I am the .00000001428%
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 10:58:48 PM

I'm really enjoying this series.

I would be surprised if the plot wouldn't end up with "Them vs. Everybody", though.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 04:48:16 AM

I'm enjoying it. I'm waiting for the big "twist" when we find out the crazy murdering alpha was actually right and the government has horrible plans for the Alphas.

In other words, it's the plot of the White Wolf game Aberrant.

Over and out.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 02:20:50 PM

Wouldn't be much of a twist, they've been hinting in every episode that whatever they are doing with the captured alphas is kinda fucked up.  "Obviously working for the bad guys" was fairly clear from the very start.

There's a reason I put twist in quotes.  wink Yes they've hinted at it alot. All I mean is it feels like when the twist comes to the fore will be when the series arc begins. My guess is it will be a season finale moment when everyone they trust turns on them and one or more are in the van headed for that "hospital."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:45 PM

Superman that hoe
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:41 AM

There's a reason I put twist in quotes.  wink Yes they've hinted at it alot. All I mean is it feels like when the twist comes to the fore will be when the series arc begins. My guess is it will be a season finale moment when everyone they trust turns on them and one or more are in the van headed for that "hospital."

It's Binghamton.... have you been to Binghamton?  /shudder. 

This show has a ton of potential.  The dumb way out is to have Red Flag be the good guys and the government the bad guys, especially since the set up is perfect right now to have both sides be badish guys with the team stuck in the middle trying to minimize the damage.  Basically, make the team the only reasonable faction stuck between two sides of well-intentioned extremists.

That may be the way the show is going, as the last episode had a carryover character from Warehouse 13 (which is already connected to Eureka) so I don't think the show could switch the government faction to full on bad guys.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:52 AM

I dunno, the way Eureka has been going this season, I'm not so sure about that.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 02:11:54 PM

While some of the govt will likely be the heavies as shown by a few of the alphas they have caught and sent to detention clearly some of these guys should NOT be allowed to roam free if they are killing people by touch or randomly sparking off bloody riots.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 01:13:15 AM

When p is divisible by X.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Heart  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 09:50:47 AM

I hope this show can survive the Summer Glau kiss of death, i like it more and more every week.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 10:56:04 AM

I'm actually really starting to dig the chemistry some of the team members have with each other, especially Bill and Gary and Bill and Hicks.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:36 AM

I hope this show can survive the Summer Glau kiss of death, i like it more and more every week.

It won't, this show is mediocre. Rather stupid in parts.

I enjoy it to a point, but really, not a long running show.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 11:59:57 AM

It's on SyFy and doesn't seem to have much in the way of expenses.  I doubt it needs to be a major hit to stay afloat.

I am the .00000001428%
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 04:34:11 PM

I'm actually really starting to dig the chemistry some of the team members have with each other, especially Bill and Gary and Bill and Hicks.

Yes!  Gary is awesome!  I was upset when the actor was killed off on Bones, but now that he's here, I am kind of glad it happened! 
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 01:21:53 PM

Show cancelled http://tvline.com/2013/01/16/alphas-cancelled-syfy/

I was liking it, and it goes without saying that the show ended on a pretty epic cliffhanger, oh well.  cry
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 01:27:01 PM

Sad to see it go but funny to see that gary basically won the show at the end gary is the last man standing!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 01:31:04 PM

Man, fuck you, Syfy. That was the only fucking show of theirs I thought was worth watching. Goatfuckers.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:37 PM

A pity. I liked it (mainly for Gary).
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 01:25:57 AM

I have to say it's another example of a series that really fails to deliver a proper ending  swamp poop
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 12:12:23 PM

There should be a law against cliffhanger endings for shows that haven't been renewed yet.

I am the .00000001428%
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:18 AM

just treat it not like a cliffhanger it is what we saw and gary won as last man standing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 09:45:30 AM

Syfy's business model really confuses me a bit. I'd be perfectly happy if my cable providers dropped them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Alphas  
Jump to: