Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Summer update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer update  (Read 21874 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

on: July 14, 2011, 03:17:14 PM

Summer update: Rift in the future.

Some good stuff.  One thing in particular stands out for me:

NEW INSTANCES: CHRONICLES OF TELARA

We've also been working on ways to get a similar sense of involvement with key story characters, and new key areas, in a way that's available to more people.

The story involvement with world events is a good first step here, but we think there's even more we can do. Chronicles of Telara are solo/small group instances that get everyone involved with key characters and villains in the worlds’ ongoing story.

We're aiming to do this in a way that is accessible to solo and duo people who may well be great players, and excellent friends who really enjoy Telara, but may not have the uninterrupted time they’d like. These are shaping up to be a really fun way to make sure you can stay involved with the story.

We're going to be working on these in a way such that they're fun to do for the most casual of players, all the way to the people who are already enjoying the raid game and interested in new things to do in their downtime. (Even the hardest core raider doesn't raid 24/7!)

Telara needs to be a world that's capable of entertaining all kinds of people, who like all different kinds of things - When we succeed there, everyone wins.

Love Letters  Yahoo!

It's like he's seeing right into my brain.  I don't know how many times I've asked for the above here.  

Even if this is far off, this is something that'll pull me back from just about anything.  I'd kill for SWTOR or WoW to do something similar.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:20:08 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:20:52 PM

Heart

That sounds fantastic. I look forward to seeing how they try to pull it off.

Next thing they'll tell us they are somehow implementing player designed content  awesome, for real

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:32:33 PM

Very interesting.

I just hope 'the future' doesn't mean 'when TOR releases', because I'd actually like to see those adventures.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 06:32:41 AM

It'll be interesting to see how they manage this. The question I've always had with 1-2 player content is it either eliminates grouping (LOTRO soloizing) or becomes an additional grind for group/raid content (WoW dailies).

They've also admitted they're going forward with a cross shard looking for grief tool, which I view as a tragedy.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:38:15 AM

It'll be interesting to see how they manage this. The question I've always had with 1-2 player content is it either eliminates grouping (LOTRO soloizing) or becomes an additional grind for group/raid content (WoW dailies).

Interestingly, I never would consider WoW dailies and LotR Solo content to be similar.

WoW dailies are a chore, plain and simple - they are something you do (or don't) while waiting to play the actual game (Raids, or, perhaps heroics).  LotR Skirmishes and solo content are alternate activities for playing the game.  Perhaps on a spreadsheet they are identical if you parse all the details, but I can say that if one is comparing solo content, LotR pisses rings around WoW.  Having Solo/Duo content in LotR doesn't make me avoid groups, it just gives me things to do when not in a group.

If Rift can break from their WoW fetish and iterate on the LotR model, I predict good things.

Also of note were vague allusions to alternate advancement post-50... this also could be a major boon if not tied to Experts/Raids.

The biggest flaw I see in Rift today is the slavish emulation of the WoW Raid to loot to Raid endgame.  If they can "fix" WoW with a metagame that does not require (only) raiding, then they will actually do the unthinkable: beat WoW.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 07:44:30 AM

I was thinking in particular of the solo-ification of the epic content. That ended group experience of that content and that really made me sad because while the system was totally borked, those were some really truly fantastic group instances. But once something becomes possible solo, it becomes mandatory to solo it.

For example, if Rift makes it possible to earn emblems by soloing something, you've just ended all group content prior to raids. People could still do it, but they won't.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:47:46 AM by Numtini »

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 07:58:26 AM

The biggest flaw I see in Rift today is the slavish emulation of the WoW Raid to loot to Raid endgame. 

This. 

As the population declines, I hope that they shift their focus to content that caters to 5 man, and smaller groups.  Even more 10 man content would be nice.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 08:18:34 AM

For example, if Rift makes it possible to earn emblems by soloing something, you've just ended all group content prior to raids. People could still do it, but they won't.

Unless perhaps they actually WANTED to experience the game with other people?

(Queue usual comments to the effect that the ONLY correct way to play in or design an online persistent multiplayer game is to constantly be grouped with and forced to interact with large numbers of other people and any attempts to play otherwise or support those who would is heresy and THOSE PEOPLE should go back to solo games and stop trying to meddle with OUR game genre dammit!)

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 08:49:20 AM

I was thinking in particular of the solo-ification of the epic content. That ended group experience of that content and that really made me sad because while the system was totally borked, those were some really truly fantastic group instances. But once something becomes possible solo, it becomes mandatory to solo it.

I take your point, but I still don't think it need be an either/or proposition.  But you are right, it is the age-old Dragon Slayer vs. Orc hunter dilemma.  I personally favor a model that allows me to slay dragons for guaranteed loot, while also allowing me to hunt orcs for a "chance" at loot.  From that perspective, the problem with WoW is not that my chances at badges or purples are reduced when in the world, it is that they simply don't exist.  I think it is a bigger crime that the *world* is devalued at the expense of specialized (gated) content.  But yes, this is not a new observation... Its just my view, and it hasn't changed since the first MMOs.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:20 AM

I wish they would just detect and ban people who don't group.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:34:07 PM

I'll be surprised if they actually add epic solo content.   You'd think they'd at least try adding group based epic content first.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 06:59:17 PM

No kidding! There's so little for groups to do at the endgame.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 02:05:00 AM

Loot tokens are probably the worst idea known to man. They make too explicit the rotten loot whoring nature of MMOs. I'm happy my dude is only level 13.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 02:53:54 PM

Noticed in the Soul Opinions thread a comment about the comming patch. So, I went looking for notes and found some here.

Some things I noticed:

Quote from: 1.4 Notes
GENERAL
* Souls are now available from your friendly neighborhood Calling trainer. Removed the Soul Quests, although players who currently have these quests will be able to turn them in normally.

QUEST SYSTEM
* Collected quest items that are placed in your bank now count toward the total required for the quest and will be withdrawn when the quest is turned in.
* All characters now have a 'quest bag' attached to their quest log which holds items that are either gained during or required for quests the character is currently on.
* Looted quest items will automatically go into this new quest bag.
* You can move quest items around inside the quest bag or move them into your general inventory if needed.

PVP
Addressing issues with healing in PVP focusing on instant and passive healing, reducing the effectiveness of healing for targets involved in PVP combat. This should help with a number of issues related to general Cleric survivability and effectiveness. These changes only affect active PVP combat, they have no impact on normal PVE gameplay.

UI/SETTINGS
* Moveable notification popups! You can now move previously un-movable popup or confirmation windows that appear on screen, such as Warfront or Dungeon queue join/decline notifications.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 03:50:23 PM

GENERAL
* Souls are now available from your friendly neighborhood Calling trainer. Removed the Soul Quests, although players who currently have these quests will be able to turn them in normally.
What? Was helping to close rifts really that hard? Though I must say collecting a bunch souls this weekend on my newbs required a lot of tedious traveling. At least all the major invasions cut down the time it took to find rifts.

QUEST SYSTEM
* All characters now have a 'quest bag' attached to their quest log which holds items that are either gained during or required for quests the character is currently on.
Oh thank the gods.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 08:16:44 PM

There are level 20+ characters in Sanctum asking how to get new souls pretty much daily.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

There are level 20+ characters in Sanctum asking how to get new souls pretty much daily.
That I can understand. There needs to be a "feeder" quest that pops up when you hit 13 that has you talk to somebody that explains how you get new souls. Or not since they are changing things.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 10:55:51 PM

QUEST SYSTEM
* Collected quest items that are placed in your bank now count toward the total required for the quest and will be withdrawn when the quest is turned in.
* Looted quest items will automatically go into this new quest bag.
* You can move quest items around inside the quest bag or move them into your general inventory if needed.

This right here needs to go in every MMO coming out hereafter.  Particularly the bank bit.  I can't count the number of times I flew all the way to the far ends of the map, only to realize I left a bear ass in the bank.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 08:30:05 AM

Wish they had lifted the alpha nda.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 10:14:52 AM

GENERAL
What? Was helping to close rifts really that hard? Though I must say collecting a bunch souls this weekend on my newbs required a lot of tedious traveling. At least all the major invasions cut down the time it took to find rifts.

It's not hard, but it is annoying. I'm glad they're changing it.

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 11:42:28 AM

Having just gone through it, I found it went very quickly as part of regular gameplay. Did a soul or two a day, just turning in and grabbing a new one when I hit town to do whatever. If you couldn't figure out how to acquire them, you need to be euthanized for the good of gaming, not have it patched out. The green and gold exclamation point that showed up on the fucking map over the guy named <Necromancer> or whatever was pretty fucking subtle.

I wish they'd make more interesting origin-style quests for soul acquisition, like an assassin does some assassiny stuff or a paladin is all knight in shiny armory questage or whatever.

But hey, grab it off a vendor. You stay classy, Trion  why so serious?
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:37 PM

I found the mage souls the least tedious. The other three were all in Sanctum. If they were all in what ever that town was like the mage souls, I would agree. Sanctum, however, is comparatively out of the way.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 12:31:48 PM

When your game's best feature is the flexibility of your classes, it's not a bad thing to make unlocking those easy and painless instead of the current "fuck me, the travel time already pisses me off and I'm still in the newbie zone" irritation. Yeah, the mage ones are least annoying since they're all hanging out in a major quest hub to start with, but they're all pretty damn annoying. Especially when - and this has happened to me - you're all ready to start doing them and there isn't even a goddamn TEAR showing on your map.

God Save the Horn Players
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 01:36:44 PM

yeah what is up with the travel?  I don't need a magic giant port machine at every quest hub, but an NPC stable between places would be nice. 
Rasix

Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 02:00:52 PM

Word of advice, buy the lvl 40 mount as soon as you possible can. It's a world of difference at 40+. 

But yah, overall the travel is horrid.  Plus if you port from zone to zone, they charge you for the trip back to Sanctum and the trip to where you're going.  Gloamwood during invasions is nearly impossible to navigate.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 03:54:33 PM

Word of advice, buy the lvl 40 mount as soon as you possible can. It's a world of difference at 40+. 

My advice: pvp for 14k favor and get the pvp mount at 40.  Use the plat to buy your level 50 mount. 

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 03:57:04 PM

I've yet to PVP  awesome, for real  I didn't even know you could do that.

-Rasix
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 04:40:27 AM

I've yet to PVP  awesome, for real  I didn't even know you could do that.

They don't make it obvious. Its the last thing for sale by the guy selling the lvl 50 weapons for favor.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 11:10:07 AM

But hey, grab it off a vendor. You stay classy, Trion  why so serious?

Heart
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Summer update  
Jump to: