Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: M12 is trash. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: M12 is trash.  (Read 13210 times)
schild
Administrator

on: July 12, 2011, 11:45:06 AM

That is all.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:21:49 PM

He's alive!
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:28:12 PM

How do you make a set thats mostly re-prints trash?  swamp poop

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:46:18 PM

Ok, Solemn Simulacrum is not trash.

Otherwise, it's trash. It's unfun to draft. It doesn't add anything exciting to the environment. Baneslayer turned into an enchantment, interesting but stupid. It's the least played card-type. The titans did NOT need to come back as after Valakut and BU control rotates, the titans are second to Wurmcoil again (though they kinda are already, see: Architect Control). It's just not a good set.

Sundial of the Infinite is begging to be broken. But it wont' be broken by Standard players or drafters.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:35:33 PM

That is what I generally like about the 'numbered' editions- not too many arcane new mechanics to learn. I will probably do a decent amount of M12 drafts 1-August and beyond.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:55:19 PM

So you can buy M12 cards today, but there are no drafts until after downtime Wednesday? WTF.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:14:35 AM

Is Wed when they're going to update the new player stuff to M12? I think I'm finally going to cave and buy this, but I don't mind waiting a day to get more current cards.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:13:16 PM

They updated the cards on Monday- today is the first day for drafts. Did an M12 Swiss this morning and crippled myself in the deckbuilding stage. Decided to go monoblack, which ended up with too much mana in my deck. Retooled during sideboards, but it was too late. Got a walk in my third match since the dude dropped before we started, so hopefully I get a booster pack out of it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:43:58 AM

Ahh thanks. I'm in, slowly figuring out the UI. I started with 1 booster, but the internet seems to suggest I'm supposed to sell that rather than open it; how would I go about doing that (and hell, how do I trade with players in general)?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:14 AM

My favorite way to accumulate cards is doing drafts. Buy 3 boosters and 2 tickets from the store, join an 8-man draft, draft 45 cards, build a deck of 40 cards (including lands, so you use about half the cards you drafted in your deck), play some matches, and keep everything you drafted afterwards. You can even win boosters depending on how well you do in the matches and what format you play. 8-4 is most profitable (and the hardest to win), 4-3-3-2 is easier to finish in the money, and Swiss (Everyone plays 3 matches, for each match you win you get a booster pack) is the easiest to win back at least something.

Drafting is tough, but it is really interesting, and can be very rewarding those time you draft well/get lucky and get a really good deck going. I am still pretty terrible at it, and I think I have only played 1 Swiss draft where I went 0-3 and didn't get ANY boosters back.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 03:22:43 PM

Has there ever been a good core set?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:17:53 PM

Revised?

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:13:21 PM

M11 with the titans,  lorwyn planeswalkers,  bolt,  and leak was insane until mirrodin block brought wurmcoil,  ratchet bomb and go for the throat. In fact,  I'd say m11 is the best core set since revised.  For m12 they simply shouldn't have reprinted the titans. Those fatties were not needed going into innistrad block. Also, really,  all the mythics are horrendous. The rares are second rate at best.  We still have leak but it doesn't fit the meta well. The big upside to m12 is goddamn solemn simulacrum. What. A. Card.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 11:53:48 PM

Given the short lifespan of core sets I think letting mythics ride for 2 sets is OK. Otherwise it would get even more annoying cost-wise I think.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 06:00:44 AM

I would absolutely agree if they hadn't gone out of their way to print not only a better titan in Wurmcoil but hoser cards like torpor orb and tumble magnet as well. If they're gonna print mythics twice they need to think about the environment they're going to be in and not just how long they've been around.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: M12 is trash.  
Jump to: