Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:14:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season 4 Playoff Speculation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Season 4 Playoff Speculation  (Read 35650 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #70 on: July 13, 2011, 07:03:10 PM

Is it because he's better at a video game than we are? Are we that insecure?

It's like this is the exact reason I never said anything. Because it couldn't possibly be that he's a douchebag. It's because he wins.  Ohhhhh, I see.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #71 on: July 13, 2011, 07:04:22 PM

I'm sure if we really try we could hit a 20 page thread on the merits of turn 16 fouls. My only opinion on the ones in the AndyDavo-Sjofn game was that it was pretty dumb of Andy to throw them in the first place. It is poor strategic thinking to throw fouls at a team that probably won't make the playoffs when you're ahead of them in the standings; would be better to leave players uninjured so they have a better chance to go on to hurt the teams you're actually worried about.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #72 on: July 13, 2011, 07:05:26 PM

I don't like too much frosting, but a frosting layer in the middle can be tasty.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:05:46 PM by Sky »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 13, 2011, 07:10:36 PM

That's actually on me. He apologized to me during our game.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 13, 2011, 07:18:09 PM

I've never made a post complaining about Andy before, and I don't mean to make any more. I was just expressing my view. I don't give a shit about turn 16 fouls, I do them too if I feel like it. I've also never played him in the league.

I do wish he would post using capitals and the like, though.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:41 PM

People have told me he's a bit of a dice-whiner in game, but we have a lot of that.  (And it is annoying no matter whom it comes from.) Ohhhhh, I see.

I imagine it comes off quite a bit more annoying if you're up 3-0 when you do it, though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:26:30 PM by Ingmar »

Celer
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: July 13, 2011, 08:37:55 PM

It's like this is the exact reason I never said anything. Because it couldn't possibly be that he's a douchebag. It's because he wins.

Can't it be both?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #77 on: July 13, 2011, 11:49:38 PM

You people are fucking disgusting.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #78 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:14 AM

The winner of the Playoffs and the Failoffs should fight each other in a sort of fucked up World Series.

Seconded!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #79 on: July 14, 2011, 12:42:35 AM

Andy hasn't in any way engaged with the forums here outside of the league, and still posts like a 10 year old.

He is not the only one though. Personally, I shared Sky's sentiment for a while. Then, I feel that we are the "League" and that almost as important as the f13 thing. AndyDavo pisses me off when he doesn't use proper caps, grammar and punctuation, but other than that he's been helpful to the League, helpful to players, he actively participates in the Blood Bowl forums (actually more than some other f13 old farts) and after two seasons I think that him and anyone else is somewhat part of the family. As I said this is my personal feeling, but while it wasn't fun to play him (or Drogg, or Bann, or ice Cream Emperor, or Reborne, or anyone else I didn't really "know" outside of the Blood Bowl League) last Season, things changed over time. Now I am fond of every single coach, and since I now "know" everyone here, I don't really care too much if they post in another section of f13 or not, or how long ago they joined. Hell, if I tried to be friends with Dusematic (serious personal/political differences I'd say that are quite painful) I am sure you can all stomach any AndyDavo out there.

The only thing that pisses me off of AndyDavo is that he seems unbeatable. The problem is not really that he's an outsider, he's an outsider that came to the party and swooped the whole cake. Possibly twice in a row. It IS irritating that he's so good at the game, but I think that was much worse the first time around. Now he's the hated player that everyone wants to beat and have a fair shot at. Pretty much everyone has a sporty or unsporty feud with him, and I think that's quite cool. My only real HUGE regret has been allowing him to change his team. He won last year with a crippled band of Dark Elves, and I should have forced him to keep them to defend the title. That has been very stupid on my part.

So yeah, while I think the whole "f13 outsider" issue had legs in Season #3 (for Andy and others), I don't think it does this time around. Sure, this is the f13 League, it will always have a f13 taste and will always favour f13 players over outsiders (I'll make sure to that for next season) but it's not like f13 cares so much about us anyway. We had to struggle hard, me and a few others, to get the thing going, and we had to beg in several languages to have a stinky subforum. We had to yell and over-post to get some of the old residents to join, and while they were busy not giving a shit we had to "hire" a few mercenaries to fill the ranks. And I think those mercenaries earned their place, if not on f13, certainly in the f13 League.

Also, please PLEASE I BEG YOU (for real this time): let's not ruin this. If it isn't obvious enough this little League we built is precious to me. Call me emo but I would be honestly hurt if we ended up growing any kind of angst among us DUE to one person that someone dislikes and having people leave because of that. Tired of the game? Fine. Too busy to play? Ok come back anytime. Quitting because of forum bullshit? Just please, no.
Insulting everyone IS the f13 way, but giving up because of that is not. So yeah, disgust each other at will but please do not ragequit cause that would be really, really sad and disappointing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:45:50 AM by Falconeer »

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #80 on: July 14, 2011, 12:46:10 AM

I don't have an issue with the way that Andy plays, I've played him in both the last two leagues and he plays BB like a spreadsheet which is a valid if dull way to play. I strongly believe that anyone who joins our league should at least make a token effort to engage with the community whose league they have just gatecrashed but, as noted, Andy isn't alone in this failing. We have forums where we talk about books, TV, video games, movies, random shit, politics and Darth Vader pictures, what are the odds that someone who plays Bloodbwl online has no interest in any of those things? For me it's more interesting to play people I sorta-pretend internet know than guys who are just a screen-name and a bunch of win/loss stats and that seems to be the general consensus with the rest of us. That's where my problem lies, not with literacy-free posts, turn 16 fouls or min-maxed team building.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #81 on: July 14, 2011, 01:17:34 AM

Also, please PLEASE I BEG YOU (for real this time): let's not ruin this. If it isn't obvious enough this little League we built is precious to me.

I'll be here even if it's just you, and I.  The f13 league is the closest thing I've ever had to a regular Blood Bowl group, which is something that I've wanted for well over decade.  I think the majority of folks here feel similarly and are just happy to play.

The only thing that bothers me about Andy is the same thing that you mentioned: he's unbelievably good.  Having the same person winning championships over and over again gets a little boring, but I can't fault him for that and have simply gotten over it.  I enjoy the game by setting my own goals for myself and seeing if I can meet them.  This season I have, and so I'm satisfied.  If Andy wins again so be it.  That just means there will be more AV 7 and 8 elves that need a severe crushing from the Presidents next season.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #82 on: July 14, 2011, 01:56:36 AM

Andy isn't invincible though. This season he's 7-0-0 and certainly the hot favourite for the title. Last season though he was 5-1-1 in the regular season, beaten by Comstar and drawn by me.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 14, 2011, 02:21:21 AM

Indeed. If Llyse had choked in the semi instead of the final I'd have won last season anyhow. ;)
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 14, 2011, 02:25:51 AM

I post outside this forum and have lurked here since the WAR-release-era, but obviously I'm a lot more active here, because here I don't have to worry about establishing whether or not my posts are legitimate. My relevance and credibility are ensured by the fact that I am in the league. Because like Falc says, by now it's its own thing.

I do think that having Andy in the league is a bit like a pick-up game of soccer with that one dude from Manchester United (well, maybe Leeds United; let's not give the guy too much credit) -- but there are positives and negatives to that, and I'm hard-pressed to find any mean-spiritedness in it all. Not everyone is going to approach things with the same degree of competitiveness, and that's fine as long as people don't feel shut out for the way they like to play the game.

I mean, for whatever reason I seem to be pretty invested in getting better at this random computer game, but it doesn't piss me off that other people don't look up 2d6 probabilities or whatever. They probably make killer pastries or speak four languages or could wipe the floor with me in a rap battle. And I expect people to call me out if I get to be a dick about the game (see: my rant after losing to Lamaros), just as much as I expect them to cope with the fact that I'm going to play to win as resoundingly as possible.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:28:50 AM by Ice Cream Emperor »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #85 on: July 14, 2011, 03:41:45 AM

Guys, seriously...this is getting a bit silly.

Sure, crowd surfing and fouling late in already-decided games might be a little douchey (especially if you're winning), but is that really any different from when I continue to try to smash players for precious SPP?

If you guys REALLY hate him that much...cripple his damn team. If you don't want him winning, you all need to kick his elves' teeth in. You may not be able to win the game, but you can damn well try to cripple his team and make it harder for him to win the war of the playoffs.

I've talked to him once or twice outside of BB and the forums, and he didn't come off as a terrible person - even if he really needs to find his shift key when posting here.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 14, 2011, 04:27:16 AM

He was quite friendly when I spoke to him outside of f13.

The solution is obviously to make him play Halflings next year and make sure he's in a division with people who don't like him.
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #87 on: July 14, 2011, 06:39:00 AM

I'm sorry to hear that people have been having less fun playing others than I have.
As you've all noticed I'm kinda the quite type as far as groups go, so I don't tend to post a lot in forums but I've been lurking here for ages now.
My few other posts have been in things like the Rift and EVE forums but really I am on here to see what is going on and find good people to play games with.
I talk more in game which is why I like to think that others have been having fun playing matches with me.

I really don't want to add to either side of what is going on, other than to say anything more than I'm glad to be a part of this league and hope to be getting my snotlings pounded senseless for many seasons to come.

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 14, 2011, 07:34:17 AM

Have you tried a red cake?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:06:07 PM by Sky »
AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: July 14, 2011, 07:40:27 AM

Fine,

I really will try and be Sofia (sof-ier) when playing you guys. After all I am just Amman (A-Man - Jordan) and really don't mean to be a Moroni (Moron -Comoros). Maybe if you all say a little Praia (Prayer -Cape Verde) someone else may pull a Rabat (rabbit - Morrocco) out of the hat and beat me?

AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 14, 2011, 08:03:34 AM

Andy hasn't in any way engaged with the forums here outside of the league, and still posts like a 10 year old.

Also, please PLEASE I BEG YOU (for real this time): let's not ruin this. If it isn't obvious enough this little League we built is precious to me. Call me emo but I would be honestly hurt if we ended up growing any kind of angst among us DUE to one person that someone dislikes and having people leave because of that. Tired of the game? Fine. Too busy to play? Ok come back anytime. Quitting because of forum bullshit? Just please, no.
Insulting everyone IS the f13 way, but giving up because of that is not. So yeah, disgust each other at will but please do not ragequit cause that would be really, really sad and disappointing.

Falc - If it will help i will leave after the season is done. I do not wish to cause the league to break up, I know how hard it is to manage things like this and i do NOT want to help ruin it for anyone. Not even Sky.

Sky - you were here first, if it's me or you then there is no contest.
Sjofn - I just watched back that replay

The foul on turn 12 was to stop you surfing my guys
The foul on turn 13 was  because I had the guy surrounded - yes u were beaten but i was going to try and score again. If I could reduce your numbers further it would have made it easier.
The foul on 14 was also to reduce numbers/ get a stun, i didnt want you blitzing in an area behind my lines.

I do accept that the surfs on the last turn before I scored were not required, with hindsight I accept that they were not required.
However,
I have seen this more than once, Give someone a moments rest and they always end up fucking you over down the line. Norse are not a pleasant team to play when developed and you may well be in my division next season.
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 14, 2011, 08:09:13 AM

Fine,

I really will try and be Sofia (sof-ier) when playing you guys. After all I am just Amman (A-Man - Jordan) and really don't mean to be a Moroni (Moron -Comoros). Maybe if you all say a little Praia (Prayer -Cape Verde) someone else may pull a Rabat (rabbit - Morrocco) out of the hat and beat me?

Heart
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #92 on: July 14, 2011, 08:20:33 AM

The only time I ever got pissed was when I played Llyse. He showed up really late so I had to leave for work (in my first game ever), but he was already leading. So I just left the game running and he ran in an unnecessary 3rd TD instead of just end-turning the game while I was AFK at work.

Which now that I've played several games strikes me as fucking classless, and I hope he gets his head kicked in for the playoffs  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: July 14, 2011, 08:21:45 AM

Don't limit yourself to cake, pie is also great.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:06:36 PM by Sky »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 14, 2011, 08:24:30 AM

you are not being singled out by me

This is mindblowing
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 14, 2011, 08:32:51 AM

The only time I ever got pissed was when I played Llyse. He showed up really late so I had to leave for work (in my first game ever), but he was already leading. So I just left the game running and he ran in an unnecessary 3rd TD instead of just end-turning the game while I was AFK at work.

Which now that I've played several games strikes me as fucking classless, and I hope he gets his head kicked in for the playoffs  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Open up a can of worms and look what comes out! Yikes!  awesome, for real

The league will keep going as long as you want it to Falc, don't worry about that. Most of us love it and will play regardless.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:34:47 AM by lamaros »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 14, 2011, 08:34:14 AM

In fact, I prefer a nice slice of pie.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:06:59 PM by Sky »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 14, 2011, 08:40:03 AM

Slightly smaller than the balls it takes to backpedal one page after explicitly singling him out.

Unless "If he wins again, I doubt I'll play next season if he's still in the league. It's not the kind of f13 gaming I want to be a part of." is directed at some general group I'm not aware of.

If you want to back out graciously, I am 100% for it. But don't lie just because people were pretty content to obliquely point out that your harping on things is a bigger problem than Andy. Or drogg now, I guess, because you lost 4-0.

Also, it's a conversation between you and someone else when it's in PM. If you want to do this in private, I suggest you, you know, do it in private.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: July 14, 2011, 08:56:03 AM

Popcorn

I sort of like the Orcs I have in the feeder league. If anyone I meet in the fail-offs is up for it, I propose a DEATHMATCH. Whoever loses must delete their team. Bring it.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:56 AM

You're on. I will actually delete Team Snoosnoo, not just retire them for a season or two, if I lose to you.

Assuming we play.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: July 14, 2011, 08:59:16 AM

ACK!

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 14, 2011, 09:07:16 AM

You're on. I will actually delete Team Snoosnoo, not just retire them for a season or two, if I lose to you.

Assuming we play.

Looks like it'll have to be the finals. I'm looking forward to it. Tell Freight Train Joe to say his goodbyes.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 14, 2011, 09:08:05 AM

He has a gun in his mouth already.

I'll put the same offer Bann has. Who wants in?
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: July 14, 2011, 09:10:16 AM

He has a gun in his mouth already.

I'll put the same offer Bann has. Who wants in?

Could be a SnooSnoo/Necco matchup in round 2 of failoffs.  COUNT ME IN.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:24 AM

This is what I like to see. Serious, hardcore stakes. Three seasons of Snoosnoo, potentially dead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season 4 Playoff Speculation  
Jump to: