Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Anyone still playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone still playing?  (Read 4231 times)
WayAbvPar

on: July 01, 2011, 08:35:47 AM

DOTP gateway'ed me back into MTGO. Built a terrible black zombie deck with my old cards and played a few Constructed Classic single games to reacquaint myself with the interface, then did a couple of M11 drafts. First one was 4322- built a white deck with a sprinkling of green, got manastarved for two straight games, and was out. Argh.

2nd was a Swiss draft- built a black deck with Captivatiing Vampire and some discard stuff to match 'opponent loses 2 life when he discards a card' enchantment. Absolutely destroyed my first opponent both games. 2nd round, won the first game and then lost 2 straight. 3rd round, lost the first, won the 2nd, and then lost the third, which finished me out of the money. I did raredraft a Chandra card when I had nothing decent in the third booster however, so I can probably flop that for a ticket or two.

Any suggestions on how to acquire enough 'recent' cards to play Constructed Standard? Most of mine are from 8th Edition era and thus are no longer valid or something. Classic decks are just built to rape and I don't have the library nor the deck building savvy to compete there just yet.

Also- I am wayabvpar on there if anyone wants to play some friendly matches. Just don't tell my wife I am playing =)

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:35:02 PM

The new commander decks are pretty decent and anyone that doesn't like multiplayer EDH hates fun.  Although I don't even know if/when they will be on MTGO.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:50:32 AM

DOTP gateway'ed me back into MTGO. Built a terrible black zombie deck with my old cards and played a few Constructed Classic single games to reacquaint myself with the interface, then did a couple of M11 drafts. First one was 4322- built a white deck with a sprinkling of green, got manastarved for two straight games, and was out. Argh.

2nd was a Swiss draft- built a black deck with Captivatiing Vampire and some discard stuff to match 'opponent loses 2 life when he discards a card' enchantment. Absolutely destroyed my first opponent both games. 2nd round, won the first game and then lost 2 straight. 3rd round, lost the first, won the 2nd, and then lost the third, which finished me out of the money. I did raredraft a Chandra card when I had nothing decent in the third booster however, so I can probably flop that for a ticket or two.

Any suggestions on how to acquire enough 'recent' cards to play Constructed Standard? Most of mine are from 8th Edition era and thus are no longer valid or something. Classic decks are just built to rape and I don't have the library nor the deck building savvy to compete there just yet.

Also- I am wayabvpar on there if anyone wants to play some friendly matches. Just don't tell my wife I am playing =)

To open packs, Limited is the way to go.  Swiss is a good combination of a couple hours of entertainment and good potential to win packs.  I'd stay away from 4-3-2-2 and 8-4, as those are single loss eliminations, unless you're a good to excellent drafter.  8-4s are the means to "go infinite" which means to win more than you spend.  Realistically, the data I've seen says that you don't break even until your Limited rating is in the low 1800s.

As I was telling Schild the other day, I'm the most inconsistent drafter in the world...  My limited rating generally bounces around through the 1700s.  I stick to Swiss with the occasional 4-3-2-2.

Most non-mythic card prices are pretty low....  rares don't even hold value too well, with only a couple staying out of the "couple of tix" range.  This does make it easy to buy the cards you need.

Check out the Magic Store.  Under the "Theme Decks" and "Special Sets" are some good product that sell a selection of decent cards.  The theme decks labeled "Event Decks" are usually about twice the price of other theme decks, but they are meant to be much more competitive than typical product.  The "Commander" decks are usually pretty decent buys as well.

Probably the best route to enjoying some occasional MTGO is the alternate formats.  Check out things like the "Pauper" format (can only use commons), or Commander (limited colors based on your selected "Commander" legend, limit of one individual card rather than four).  Also, there is a format called "Momir Basic" which uses the Momir avatar and all lands which many people love.  Basically, Momir's ability allows to you to create a random creature of Converted Mana Cost equal to X.

I'll drop you a message in game.  Feel free to hit me up for free commons/uncommons, as I have about 50k in my collection with a ridiculous number of play sets of recent blocks.  Yes, I draft ALOT.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:51:12 AM

The new commander decks are pretty decent and anyone that doesn't like multiplayer EDH hates fun.  Although I don't even know if/when they will be on MTGO.  awesome, for real

EDH is supported as the "Commander" format online, though I think it's only 1 vs. 1.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:33:44 AM

EDH is supported as the "Commander" format online, though I think it's only 1 vs. 1.

It's 4 player multiplayer, I just meant I wasn't sure if the new Wizards Commander Decks were in MTGO yet.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:49:13 AM

It's 4 player multiplayer, I just meant I wasn't sure if the new Wizards Commander Decks were in MTGO yet.

They're on the store front now.

Also, there are Legacy pre-built decks that aren't terrible.... well, at least the burn one is supposed to be a couple cards out from a reasonable burn deck.  The other one was worth buying for a couple of cards (I want to say Enlightened Tutor was in that).
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:24:04 PM

Did another draft the other night...couldn't decide how to build and ended up with a wishy washy piece of shit. Luckily my opponent in the 2nd match disconned when I played a 1 mana creature in the first turn (either he was playing blue and didn't want to get islandwalked to death, or his internet connection went down), so I won a booster pack anyway  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Will probably be on over the weekend intermittently. Msg me in game (or give me a shout on Steam and tell me to get in game!)- would love to build a couple of shit decks and get some critiques during a friendly match or 2.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Anyone still playing?  
Jump to: