Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:08:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011  (Read 81220 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #210 on: July 06, 2011, 07:18:21 AM

Bought Guild Wars. Wish I had bought Drakensang. Dammit.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: July 06, 2011, 08:14:54 AM

Give it a chance.  If you really need help, let me know.  I'm waist-deep into EVE right now, but I could pop over.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: July 06, 2011, 08:19:12 AM

Not sure it's anything you can help with. As I said in the "What're you playing" thread, I just don't like the controls. I'll definitely give it some time, but with the things I don't like about Rift, the controls are definitely not one of them.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:47 AM

This is why I linked the trial instead of telling people to buy the game. 

The bulk of what I do, when playing solo, is hitting ctrl + 1-8 or spacebar to mark targets for your heroes, and to cause you to get into range of your targets at the same time, while also using the flags to move the hero blob away from pathers.  I treat the game more like Baldur's Gate than WoW, but I also don't play with anyone else usually.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #214 on: July 06, 2011, 09:59:51 AM

No! Somebody broke the store!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #215 on: July 06, 2011, 10:20:35 AM

GTA 4 - $9.99
SIMS 3 - $13.60
FARCRY 2 - $4.99
L4D 2 - $4.99
LOST PLANET 2 - $19.99
GOTHIC 4 - $12.49
ATOM ZOMBIE SMASHER - $2.99
JAMESTOWN - $4.99
KILLING FLOOR - $4.99
KINGS BOUNTY ARMORED PRINCESS - $4.99
PROTOTYPE - $14.99
ARKHAM ASYLUM - $7.49

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: July 06, 2011, 10:24:26 AM

King's Bounty is awesome. It's where I wish the HoMM/Disciples series had gone. I sunk about 75 hours into Legend (the first game), and it's a steal for $3.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #217 on: July 06, 2011, 10:25:04 AM

Phew, it's back. I haven't spent enough money yet! ACK!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: July 06, 2011, 10:25:58 AM

Half those are franchise sales where the other games are also on sale.

The Sims one makes me laugh because it's barely more on sale than it was before, which I wouldn't even count as having been on sale in the first place.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #219 on: July 06, 2011, 10:27:30 AM

Kings Bounty is worth it. Stay away from the Gothic stuff. They are awful.

I think I'm going to get Atom Zombie Smasher as it looks really cool. Lots of action games I could care less about though.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #220 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:40 AM

Fine! It almost feels like an obligation to get something everyday. $7 bucks for all three games - I really won't care if I don't like it.

That silly Two Worlds 2 has me totally hooked by the way.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #221 on: July 06, 2011, 10:33:10 AM

I might pick up Atom Zombie Smasher for $3.

Rokal and Paelos are right about King's Bounty: well worth the price.

Everything else I would want on that list I already own, except for Prototype, but even that's too expensive at $15.  I have enough of a backlog to wait until Christmas when it'll be cheaper.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: July 06, 2011, 10:59:00 AM

It does strike me as odd how Steam appear to discount sequels more than the originals.

Blood Bowl: Legendary was on sale but Dark Elves wasn't and now L4D is barely cheaper than L4D2 (and not on the front page)

I picked up L4D2 during the Xmas sale (pretty sure L4D wasn't on offer then) so I feel obliged to get L4D now despite feeling it should be significantly cheaper than L4D2 is.

Already got Batman & Farcry at xmas so nothing else appears today (much to the relief of my wallet!)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #223 on: July 06, 2011, 11:04:01 AM

Legendary edition isn't a sequel, more of a huge upgrade.  Its pretty much totally pointless to buy Dark Elf edition now (since your locked out of playing against people with legendary edition), and they should yank it from even being available for purchase.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: July 06, 2011, 11:36:38 AM

Stay away from the Gothic stuff. They are awful.
So wrong. They're just a bit eurojanky. But I like them better than what Bethesda has been crapping out (I discovered Gothic while waiting for Morrowind to be released and really liked the former much more).

The thing to be aware of is that Gothic 4 is by a different developer than 1-3 (they made Risen, the actual Gothic 4). So as a Gothic fan, I still see $13 as too much! :)

The older ones are dated, so Risen is the one to play these days. I would rate Gothics: Risen, 2, 1, 3.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #225 on: July 06, 2011, 11:52:48 AM

Don't listen to Sky. He defends Gothic constantly. You could make the case that #2 is worth the $2.50, but the rest of them, including the mythical 4 that's not 4 are all ass.

Gothic 3 was not a game. It was an undefendable buggy turd. It ranks up there as one of the worst games I've ever played that was remotely functional.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #226 on: July 06, 2011, 12:22:58 PM

I tried to play Risen a couple times. No es bueno.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: July 06, 2011, 12:33:01 PM

Yep gothic isn't worth getting.   If you want to go that way you're far better off getting Risen.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: July 06, 2011, 01:00:35 PM

The Sims one makes me laugh because it's barely more on sale than it was before, which I wouldn't even count as having been on sale in the first place.

Actually, the Sims wasn't on sale at all, it was the pack that was, and for like $80.00.  I can blow $15.00 on a virtual dollhouse, $80.00 not so much, even if it lets me buy twice as many chaise longues.  I mean, some of these expansions are as expensive as the base game, yeesh.

What's the consensus on Prototype?  I've had it on my wish list for a while, but never actually seen or played it.  I'm playing the hell out of Saint's Row 2 and figure I might grab Prototype to scratch the sandbox itch when I finish.

The only other game I'm eyeing is Arcania, since I already have the other gothic games (haven't touched them yet, though).
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #229 on: July 06, 2011, 01:07:33 PM

Posting this yet again. Re: Gothic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3uG8-wyblQ#t=14s

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #230 on: July 06, 2011, 01:18:32 PM

Don't listen to Sky. He defends Gothic constantly. You could make the case that #2 is worth the $2.50, but the rest of them, including the mythical 4 that's not 4 are all ass.

Gothic 3 was not a game. It was an undefendable buggy turd. It ranks up there as one of the worst games I've ever played that was remotely functional.

I bought Gothic 1-3 in a previous sale. I couldnt do it. 1 and 2 where so dated, and 3 was just so buggy I lasted about 30 minutes. Two Worlds 2 on the other hand seems like what I thought Gothic would have been.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #231 on: July 06, 2011, 02:43:26 PM

King's Bounty is awesome. It's where I wish the HoMM/Disciples series had gone. I sunk about 75 hours into Legend (the first game), and it's a steal for $3.
You should just skip right to crossworlds. There's hundreds of hours of game play time combined with all the campaigns, and you might as well enjoy the best the series has to offer at first. Play the orcs on the march campaign before the rest.

I bought Gothic 2 but couldn't get into it with the funky control scheme. Didn't like it at all. I'm hoping oblivion will be better once I get to it.

Today's haul:

You now own Killing Floor, Killing Floor - Outbreak Character Pack, Killing Floor - Nightfall Character Pack, Killing Floor SDK, Killing Floor - PostMortem Character Pack, Killing Floor - London's Finest DLC Character pack, Killing Floor Mod: Defence Alliance 2, Killing Floor - Steampunk DLC, Atom Zombie Smasher .
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #232 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:03 PM

Would anyone mind giving a short run-down on how King's Bounty is different from HoMM, or better? Looks like similar play, though with bits where you run around with your avatar directly like a dungeon crawler.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: July 06, 2011, 04:16:27 PM

It's basically HoMM without the city building or defending.  It's more exploration and story based.  The combat is nearly identical otherwise.
Strazos

Reply #234 on: July 06, 2011, 04:21:06 PM

Hmm...I don't mind city building but can do without...and I don't mind defending, but hate trying to finish the AI off on large maps, where they run around with hit-and-run tactics with no hope of actually winning.

Welp, sign me up I guess. Is there a reason to play all three? Are they all 1 integrated game, or separate?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: July 06, 2011, 04:28:26 PM

The Legend and Armored Princess are both separate campaigns, with slightly different rules.  I believe Crossworlds is an addon for armored princess that introduces things into it, and also adds it's own campaign, but I can't remember for sure and haven't played it yet myself.  At the price they're selling it at, unless you'd need to sell a kidney or a child into slavery, I'd just buy them all since they're pretty solid games.  They're honestly the best HoMM series of games to come out since HoMM3.

That said, take any suggestions from me with a grain of salt.  I have odd taste in games.  Armored Princess has a demo up on steam if you really want to check it out first.

edit:  ah yeah, looked up crossworlds, and it indeed adds stuff to armored princess, and also adds two other campaigns.  Between all 3, it's a retarded amount of content if you like this style of game.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #236 on: July 06, 2011, 04:30:14 PM

Note that if bad dialogue translations bother you, you will find a lot to be bothered by in the King's Bounty games.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Strazos

Reply #237 on: July 06, 2011, 04:54:27 PM

I got KB and that weird zombie game Trippy alluded to.

I'm so weak - Damn you, Steam!

Fear the Backstab!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #238 on: July 06, 2011, 05:33:35 PM

No! Somebody broke the store!
Server clock is drifting awesome, for real
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #239 on: July 06, 2011, 05:59:46 PM

Grabbed L4D2 since I never picked it up before. Also Atom Zombie Smasher, which is fun, but hard.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #240 on: July 06, 2011, 06:53:57 PM

Atom Zombie Smasher is fun and tough.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: July 06, 2011, 07:15:54 PM

Atom Zombie Smasher is fun and tough.

Really?  I thought it looked pretty meh...I haven't bought a single game today, don't make me break that!  swamp poop

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Strazos

Reply #242 on: July 06, 2011, 07:17:30 PM

It's an interesting, but seemingly simple game that looks like it can get pretty deep quickly.

Fear the Backstab!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #243 on: July 06, 2011, 08:08:24 PM

What's the consensus on Prototype?  I've had it on my wish list for a while, but never actually seen or played it.  I'm playing the hell out of Saint's Row 2 and figure I might grab Prototype to scratch the sandbox itch when I finish.

I enjoyed Prototype a lot (on 360) not long after it came out. Right up until I got stuck on a mission involving a scientist and a tank - and just couldn't get past it. It's been sitting in the pile ever since.. stuck between not wanting to go back to it, not quite wanting to get rid of it, and not wanting to restart on a lower difficulty level because of the sheer amount of time I put into collecting almost all of the orbs in the city. Annoying.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:28 PM

That's the rare scenario where I just cheat through it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011  
Jump to: