Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 08:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2012  (Read 50107 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #140 on: April 21, 2012, 09:56:09 AM

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/21/shanahan-sets-precedent-raffi-torres-suspended-25-games-for-hossa-head-shot/related/

Phoenix’s Raffi Torres was suspended for 25 games by the NHL for his illegal check to the head of Chicago’s Marian Hossa.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: April 21, 2012, 10:37:58 AM

I only watched hockey from about 1993 to 2003,

Christ man, why would anybody do that to themself?  You never saw a dangerous hit because you never saw anybody take more than one stride without Hal Gil wrestling them to the ground.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: April 21, 2012, 10:47:14 AM

Christ man, why would anybody do that to themself?  You never saw a dangerous hit because you never saw anybody take more than one stride without Hal Gil wrestling them to the ground.

Actually, there were quite a few dangerous hits in that time frame, largely from defensemen able to cut across the blind side of players entering the offensive zone. A few.. specialized in it.

Also, it was the era of the knee-on-knee goonery. Marchment says hello!

Interesting that Torres got hit that hard. Nice to see the NHL remain utterly inconsistent in punishment.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #143 on: April 21, 2012, 11:06:02 AM

I didn't know any better!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #144 on: April 21, 2012, 12:56:01 PM

MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: April 22, 2012, 10:30:39 AM

I think its the right call and the right level of severity.  Now I wish they would work on eliminating that double standard though.  I don't know how anyone can look at that hit and say that it was clean.  It most certainly was not.

On another side note, the Blues are past round one.  I will predict that if they face the LA Kings they are done in 6.  If they get the predators then my prediction will be win in 7.  The Blues just don't in my opinion stack up well against the Kings.  The only wild card here will be the goaltending.  Both Halak and Elliot are capable of stealing a series. 

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #146 on: April 22, 2012, 01:53:00 PM

I watched hockey as a kid until about 1990, then stopped.  I picked it up again once they did the rules revamp.  Fuck that two line pass bullshit.  Glad it is gone.

I have never played WoW.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: April 22, 2012, 02:45:50 PM

I watched hockey as a kid until about 1990, then stopped.  I picked it up again once they did the rules revamp.  Fuck that two line pass bullshit.  Glad it is gone.

I don't miss it, but I think it was interesting that they basically changed the rule just because the neutral zone trap was making the game too boring.  Although somewhat ironically, the rules they made to open up the game a bit were designed to make the game more watchable and bring in more viewers.  But the playoffs which they tend to call much looser still get the most views.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #148 on: April 22, 2012, 08:03:45 PM

Man the Kings really played hard in Vancouver. What a finish.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: April 22, 2012, 09:21:58 PM

Canucks and Penguins out make me quite happy. Had hoped for the Caps to close out Boston, but I'll take what I can get. My two most hated teams out first round, after being expected to face each other for the Cup? Awesome. If Ottawa, Phoenix and the Caps can close out their series' it could be very much a guessing game of who wins the Cup with all the favourites out. I'd like to see Washington go all the way, but so long as its not Phoenix, I'll be pleased.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #150 on: April 23, 2012, 06:16:50 AM

Yup, I'm glad I didn't blow any money entering a pool this year.

Guess I'll cheer for Phoenix. At this point, Nashville might be the bloody favorite to win this thing.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: April 23, 2012, 07:01:01 AM

How mad is Winnipeg that they were a $25 million contribution from Glendale away from having a playoff team this year  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Extremely happy to see the Kings win. I really like that team actually and I don't think it was as much of an upset as just saying it was 8th beating 1st. I'm sure there's somewhere that shows it, but the Kings had to be one of the better teams in the NHL in the second half just to make the playoffs.

Plus, fuck the Canucks - though I'm very tired of the lame 'bring on the riots' comments that flooded my Facebook and Twitter last night.

I don't have the hate on for the Penguins like some do, but was also glad to see the Flyers advance.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: April 26, 2012, 10:06:19 AM

Racist comments towards Caps forward Joel Ward, who scored the winning goal against the Bruins last night.  Stay classy, Boston fans. Ohhhhh, I see.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Washington/2012/04/26/19681606.html
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: April 26, 2012, 10:32:15 AM

How mad is Winnipeg that they were a $25 million contribution from Glendale away from having a playoff team this year  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Second round playoff team even.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: May 23, 2012, 08:52:00 AM

Holy shit LA is in bizarro world. This time of the year and the Lakers are sitting at home and the Kings are pillaging the playoffs.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #155 on: May 25, 2012, 01:10:54 PM

I am now rooting for Flyers West.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 07, 2012, 06:25:23 AM

Man, I was really hoping the Kings could close it out last night.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #157 on: June 07, 2012, 06:31:12 AM

AHAHAHHA  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #158 on: June 07, 2012, 11:59:29 AM

Damn at the tits.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: June 08, 2012, 01:12:24 PM

Thought this was a funny title to an article. http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/330552-fedorovs-khl-team-ready-to-come-after-semin?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a8

"Fedorov's KHL team ready to come after Semin" awesome, for real
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #160 on: June 11, 2012, 05:58:39 PM

Those huge fake cans have been behind the opposing bench in the LA games for multiple series. Rather funny when they cut to the coaches' reaction shots.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #161 on: June 11, 2012, 08:03:38 PM

3 years running the Canucks have been knocked out by the eventual champs. Sigh.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: June 11, 2012, 08:42:03 PM

Was nice to see the Kings win.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #163 on: June 11, 2012, 09:02:46 PM

No it wasn't, but it was better than seeing the Devils win.

Now, if only the Thiunder can put the Kibosh on LeBron's quest for a ring, my summer will be complete.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
WayAbvPar

Reply #164 on: June 11, 2012, 09:16:24 PM

I am still holding out hope for a surprise lockout or a meteor strike.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: June 11, 2012, 11:54:59 PM

No it wasn't, but it was better than seeing the Devils win.

I actually like the Kings -- they were one of the two teams I was hoping would win the cup going into the playoffs (didn't expect them to, however). Of course, this is in spite of their GM and coach, but I like a lot of their players and their playing style. Additionally, they have a fair number of ex-Oilers and it was nice to see Mr. Pancakes (or the Flying Fridge as he was called here) win a second cup as a kind of middle finger to the Oilers and local media who drove him out.

And they were a better option, imo, than the other choices in this year's playoffs. Can't stand a lot of the teams in the league these days.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 12, 2012, 07:40:13 AM

I was really happy the Kings won, they were definitely my playoff bandwagon team (dispatching Vancouver so easily got me on their side immediately). I like a lot of the players on that team, but I can imagine that the 2 Colombus fans in the world are rather pissed that Carter whined his way onto the eventual Cup winning team.

You also cannot argue the fact that the Stanley Cup is the best trophy in professional sports. There's nothing even close to it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:56:52 AM by murdoc »

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 12, 2012, 07:49:17 AM

I like the way Carter & Richards winning the cup really sticks it to the Flyers.
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: June 12, 2012, 09:25:58 AM

I was really happy the Kings won, they were definitely my playoff bandwagon team (dispatching Vancouver so easily got me on their side immediately). I like a lot of the players on that team, but I can imagine that the 2 Colombus fans in the world are rather pissed that Carter whined his way onto the eventual Cup winning team.

You also cannot argue the fact that the Stanley Cup is the best trophy in professional sports. There's nothing even close to it.

Well I could argue that simply because of the obnoxious size of it, but I won't because every other major sports league's trophy is rather silly... though I do like the MLB trophy - too bad I hate baseball.

Cheers to the Kings. I like the underdog when they are truly the underdogs, added bonus for the historical ramifications as well.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 12, 2012, 12:46:56 PM

It's not obnoxious...

They inscribe the rosters of all previous winners on the ring, kind of important to the appeal of it, that everyone gets immortalized right on the trophy. Then the large bowl ontop is also essential to the trophy's appeal, since that allows you to pour booze into it and drink out of it.

Don't see anything obnoxious there.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #170 on: June 12, 2012, 12:59:22 PM

Was really cool that Brown handed it off to Willie Mitchel first (oldest guy on the team).

He'd probably still have been a Canuck if not for Malkin nearly killing him a couple years ago.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #171 on: June 12, 2012, 02:21:41 PM

It's not obnoxious...

They inscribe the rosters of all previous winners on the ring, kind of important to the appeal of it, that everyone gets immortalized right on the trophy. Then the large bowl ontop is also essential to the trophy's appeal, since that allows you to pour booze into it and drink out of it.

Don't see anything obnoxious there.

The bowl also allows you to pee in it. Yes, that and worse. Though I'm still a fan of it ending up in Patrick Roy's pool, even though I hate him and the Avs to this day.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #172 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:12 PM

I like the way Carter & Richards winning the cup really sticks it to the Flyers.

I'm not really sure it does - both had plenty of chances in PHL and just couldn't get it done. Happy to see Flyers West win it, what with them having Gagne, Richards, Hextall in the front office, and others.

Still not a Carter fan - dude was one of the most over-rated scorers I've ever seen.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #173 on: June 12, 2012, 04:47:02 PM

Good for LA. I hate Devils and hope their fans cry. They ruined hockey and raped my childhood.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: June 12, 2012, 05:00:59 PM

They ruined hockey and raped my childhood.
You too? I've hated the Devils ever since the 1995 Finals.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2012  
Jump to: