Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good character for a total newb  (Read 209081 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #490 on: October 27, 2011, 01:36:08 PM

Naw Noct is pretty easy, not sure if he can jungle without runes but once you can jungle him its pretty easy to gank since people can barely handle a jungler walking to their lane let alone flying in from half the river away.

None of his skills require difficult micro or decision making and Q is a prettty fast skill shot. Knowing when and what to spellshield comes with experience but if you are interested in jungling (read: if players at your level can utilize a jungler instead of just feeding in a 2v1 lane so that having a jungler is a detriment) I think Noct is a good choice though Warwick might be a better starter jungle champ.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: October 27, 2011, 09:46:53 PM

Is there a method to the rune-buying madness at all?  To this point I have totally ignored the whole thing but I'm about to roll over 20 and want to avoid dumb purchases.  Should I just make AP and AD general sets or are there some runes that get tonnes of mileage no matter what that I should get first?
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: October 28, 2011, 01:42:15 AM

Here you go.

If you want a TLDR I can give you a summary.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #493 on: October 28, 2011, 07:07:01 AM

No matter what, buy Armor pen and magic pen marks.

I love speed quints.

I personally got good mileage out of flat armor, dodge, and Hp/lvl seals.

Glyphs I used MR/lvl and cooldown ones (I think I used celerity cause they were cheaper and still good).

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: October 28, 2011, 07:45:15 AM

Yup armor pen and magic pen marks should be the first things purchased. You will want one or the other on just about any character I can think of. Other good ones are flat armor and scaling magic resists. If you don't have anything else being more durable is always handy.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: October 29, 2011, 03:51:21 AM

Flat mana regen and mana regen per level seals are useful for a good number of champions.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:05 AM

I think an important note here is also whether you plan on buying rune pages: if you're not, then you should be aiming towards the two pages which cover the most.

For that, I'd say, in order of buying:

Red: ArPen/MPen
Quint: HP Quints. They're always useful.
Yellow: Armor.
Blue: MR/lvl or CDR (If I could only have one, I'd pick MR/lvl)

Note, that if you're just going with the basic two rune pages, you should pretty much stop here.

If you get more rune pages, I'd fill in with:
Quint: ArPen
Yellow: MReg/lvl
Blue: CDR

If you decide you're going to be all jungly, then instead:
Quint: ArPen
Blue: AS

Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: October 29, 2011, 07:50:22 AM

There are some sweet quints available during the halloween event they have.
Just bought 3 24HP ones for 1k IP apiece  instead of the usual 26HP ones for 2k IP each.
There are some others avaliable too, like dodge and stuff. Can be found under Tier 2.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:52:10 AM by Hoth »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #498 on: October 31, 2011, 08:53:31 AM

Is there a tough, survivable AP carry (preferably with some range) that would be not too difficult to play?  I'm not sure I'd like Kassadin and most Kassadin players are assholes.  Would Gragas fit the bill here?

It just feels dumb to pick my usual Gangplank/Jax/Irelia when we're already loaded up on AD and sometimes you see a team comp where Singed would be mostly wasted.  Plus, sometimes we're tanky enough and I just want to blow people up.

Since the family has gotten home (they were gone Sun-Fri), I've had a rotten run.  Big ass losing streak combined with having to leave a game last night when my son woke up in the middle of a pretty competitive game.

edit: 

So far I'm confident in my AD carry/bruiser play (GP, Irelia, Jax) and offtank/tank (Singed, Cho) play.  My ranged everything is pretty shakey (I can play Annie/Cait in a pinch) and I've yet to do anything with support/jungle, which aren't really part of the game at this level.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:01:46 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: October 31, 2011, 09:35:09 AM

Gragas, definitely. Morgana as well. Cho is fun to play as a carry, though less bursty than a pure damage caster.
Rasix

Reply #500 on: October 31, 2011, 09:43:36 AM

Hope he goes on sale or is free for a week soon.  At level 18, I'm a bit loathe to spend IP and he's still a bit expensive RP wise.

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:10 AM

I've been playing Annie or Fiddle in those scenarios usually (team has lots of AD already).  Fiddle has pretty good survivability because of his drain spell, but if he gets CCed he can be bursted down kind of easily. 

Pretty much all AP focused characters are cooldown/combo dependent though, so there are always a bit more difficult to play in my opinion than a ranged AD carry like Ashe in my opinion.  Though I have a friend that thinks just the opposite and has a harder time playing AD characters, so I don't know if thats just me.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: October 31, 2011, 11:01:55 AM

Ryze can get a bit tanky since the mana items he builds tend to have armor or health on them as well.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:37 PM

Morgana can be pretty durable, her normal item build + her shield and passive make her a good self-sustaning hero.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #504 on: October 31, 2011, 03:29:00 PM

I am really starting to dislike characters like Ryze, who can be all sorts of tanky and damaging at the same time, without really building both.

I mean, it takes a lot of thinking out of the equation - if you want damage or tank or whatever, you should have to actually build it, not get it for free somehow.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: October 31, 2011, 04:33:14 PM

If one more person describes Ryze as 'tanky' I fear my head might asplode.

Am I missing something? An item build that includes incidental health does not really qualify a champion as tanky, right? Kassadin can build a Rod of Ages and Rylai's, that doesn't make Kassadin a tanky AP caster.

An AP Cho is still 'tanky' because of his Feast stacks (and probably better than average armour/health growth, though I could be wrong); Gragas is tanky because he's a huge fat dude with a self-heal and a built-in escape. Morgana is tanky because she can be immune to CC and because she has to build that way to guarantee successful ult use.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: October 31, 2011, 04:38:28 PM

Probably a difference in the use of the word Tanky.
Strazos

Reply #507 on: October 31, 2011, 04:57:59 PM

Dude ends up getting a butt-ton of HP, and enough "incidental" AP to melt people without having to actually buy AP items necessarily. Kind of like how Jax can get really fat just buying attack items.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: October 31, 2011, 05:07:23 PM

Dude ends up getting a butt-ton of HP, and enough "incidental" AP to melt people without having to actually buy AP items necessarily. Kind of like how Jax can get really fat just buying attack items.

This is true, but I wouldn't classify Jax as a tank.  He melts away pretty fast even with his reasonable HP pool, HP alone doesn't make a tank, it helps, but mitigation and the ability to prevent damage matters too.  At least that is how I look at it.  Granted, I realize you aren't calling him a tank, but something closer to "kind of tanky."
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: October 31, 2011, 05:27:20 PM

I am in love with Talon lately, I just love his burst and his ability to farm like crazy. It is a bit difficult to convince people to let me play mid, but if I succeed I can shut down almost any other champion the enemy throws at me. I had one game where they switched mid 3 times against me.  Heart

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Strazos

Reply #510 on: October 31, 2011, 05:30:11 PM

No, I definitely wouldn't call Jax a tank.

I have the same problem with Singed, who ends up being so tanky that he's nigh unkillable, while having enough AP to murder people - I'd prefer that the player have to actually make a choice.

Kind of like how the DH in the AL is completely retarded, because the managers there never have to think making a double switch (unless you're in the WS, then it's funny to watch them squirm because they have to consider whether to have the pitcher hit or double switch).

Fear the Backstab!
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: October 31, 2011, 05:44:03 PM

Yeah, "tankiness" can mean a lot of different things in this game. I probably should have said "survivable".

I don't think it's unfair to call anyone with Frozen Heart, Banshee's, and Rylai's "a bit tanky" though.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: October 31, 2011, 05:46:10 PM

An unkillable Singed can only murder people if those people don't ever buy defensive items. Which is, of course, pretty common, but I can't really pin that one on Singed to be fair.

And my reaction to the Ryze thing was taking 'tanky' in the context of AP carries. I've just never seen a Ryze that could not be annihilated by even a little team focus -- and if I did it was because his team was protecting him well, not because of his huge HP?

Is the assumption that every Ryze builds Banshee's, Rylai's, and a Rod of Ages?
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: November 01, 2011, 01:55:22 AM

Ryze gains damage from mana (Rylai's is a funny item to build on him), allowing you to build items that give durability and mana; ROA, Frozen Heart and the Banshees Veil. He also gains a pretty good amount of spellvamp from his ultimate. Ryze is a lot harder to kill than other mages.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: November 01, 2011, 07:34:54 AM

I thought Rylai's gave mana for some reason. Never mind that then.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: November 01, 2011, 08:31:51 AM

Oh, I bought one of the big character packs and boy was it worth it.  I have a nice spread of characters.  It cost something in the range of 30 dollars, but buying the pack ends up saying you quite a lot compared to buying them all individually, like more than 50%.  In fact, even just the 5 or so characters that I "really" wanted from the pack would've cost me something similar in price alone, and then I got like 8 more on top of that that I am enjoying, and a few I don't really care about to be fair I suppose.  Also came with a few runes and Goth Annie skin, and a bonus of 1380 RP.  Really happy with that purchase.

I'm putting that in this thread because it might be a cost effective way for people to get a bunch of champions if they are new, without breaking the bank.
Rasix

Reply #516 on: November 01, 2011, 08:48:19 AM

Yah, I bought one of the champ bundles.  It was a pretty good bundle as I mostly play Gangplank and Singed and they were included in the deal.  While, I haven't played a lot of the champs, it came with some support, junglers and others in case I want to expand what I play.  A lot of solid champs.  With perfect hindsight, it wasn't the best of deals, but I bought it early and had no idea what sort of groove I'd fall into.

-Rasix
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: November 01, 2011, 09:15:51 AM

I've spent a fair amount of time so far without spending any cash at all.  There are quite a few champs I want to try and the free rotation doesn't bring them up fast enough.  Looking at the rune IP prices I'm tempted to pick up one of the bundles and just stop buying champs so I can rune up in a reasonable time frame.  RP pricing isn't near as bad as I thought it would be.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #518 on: November 01, 2011, 10:59:27 AM

So is Malazhar just crazy overpowered or was I playing against some bad players? Got a game at lunch and tried him out. I died more than I wanted, but could actually just stand toe to toe with a Wukong and spell him to death. His ult seemed crazy good. I didn't quite get the hang of the Q spell, but he could put out some sick damage.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #519 on: November 01, 2011, 11:13:36 AM

His ult is retarded. He is quite a strong caster, IMO. He seems pretty reliant on that sucker, though. That's not too uncommon with AP carries anyway.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #520 on: November 01, 2011, 07:30:15 PM

So is Malazhar just crazy overpowered or was I playing against some bad players? Got a game at lunch and tried him out. I died more than I wanted, but could actually just stand toe to toe with a Wukong and spell him to death. His ult seemed crazy good. I didn't quite get the hang of the Q spell, but he could put out some sick damage.

Malzahar suffers from the same problem as Jax; beaten by a single item. Once you start running into people who buy Quicksilver Sash his 'wow' factor drops off significantly. Despite that, he is still a very good pusher and scales well because of his percentage AOE pool.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Rasix

Reply #521 on: November 01, 2011, 09:54:12 PM

OK, Galio is fun as hell.  Wasn't easy at first, but damn.   Own those damn team fights, and they had a bunch of AP that didn't bother building any magic pen other than boots.  Still could have been tankier, my HP pool at the end wasn't great.

edit: On further testing, hard to play well.  For me.  ><  In my defense, ran into the same smurf team twice in a row. Brutal.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:20:18 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #522 on: November 02, 2011, 11:03:30 AM

How do people have bad games with Tryndamere? I just played him in 2 games at lunch (one SR, one Dominion) and did pretty goddamn good without much effort. I think I've only played him like once or twice before. The SR game I was partnered up with an Alistar against a Miss Fortune played by a paraplegic muppet and a decent Malazhar. I got fed HARD by the Fortune. I think I killed her 3 times before level 6 and got Mal once. By the end of the game, I was almost singlehandedly taking down turrets and just facerolling. Ended with like 15/8/6 or something. It was just stupid crazy easy to level and kill people. The game was over in 27 minutes and I mean OVER, nexus destroyed, all inhibitors down, all turrets down, done. I had a bit more trouble in the Dominion game, but still ended up top score on my team, with 15/11/6 or something. Most of my deaths were from my overconfidence and over aggressiveness.

I've seen players play Trynd and die all the time without ever getting kills. How do you do that?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: November 02, 2011, 11:17:42 AM

How do people have bad games with Tryndamere? I just played him in 2 games at lunch (one SR, one Dominion) and did pretty goddamn good without much effort. I think I've only played him like once or twice before. The SR game I was partnered up with an Alistar against a Miss Fortune played by a paraplegic muppet and a decent Malazhar. I got fed HARD by the Fortune. I think I killed her 3 times before level 6 and got Mal once. By the end of the game, I was almost singlehandedly taking down turrets and just facerolling. Ended with like 15/8/6 or something. It was just stupid crazy easy to level and kill people. The game was over in 27 minutes and I mean OVER, nexus destroyed, all inhibitors down, all turrets down, done. I had a bit more trouble in the Dominion game, but still ended up top score on my team, with 15/11/6 or something. Most of my deaths were from my overconfidence and over aggressiveness.

I've seen players play Trynd and die all the time without ever getting kills. How do you do that?

People don't understand that you need to play differently based on what part of the game it is.  A hell of a lot of people just seem to think "end game" Tryn is how you are supposed to play him all the time, or at least when I see them that is how it looks like they are thinking.   And then of course they have a shit early game, and then they DON'T have that end game, or at least get there a lot later and with their team already far behind.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: November 02, 2011, 11:26:18 AM

Malzahar suffers from the same problem as Jax; beaten by a single item.

What's the item that deters Jax?

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb  
Jump to: