Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good character for a total newb  (Read 209083 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #420 on: October 06, 2011, 02:47:24 PM

Ways to know that someone is going to be bad:

1. They claim they did great in their last game
2. They bitch because you failed to ban such-and-such character
3. They bitch as soon as one of the first people on your team chooses a completely reasonable character
4. They choose a character because they are "OP" rather than because they are good with them

Everyone person I've ever had say "Don't worry, I do great as X and I always win mid." has fed their lane and lost us the game.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #421 on: October 06, 2011, 03:36:29 PM

Ways to know that someone is going to be bad:

1. They claim they did great in their last game
2. They bitch because you failed to ban such-and-such character
3. They bitch as soon as one of the first people on your team chooses a completely reasonable character
4. They choose a character because they are "OP" rather than because they are good with them

Everyone person I've ever had say "Don't worry, I do great as X and I always win mid." has fed their lane and lost us the game.

I had a guy go AP Janna mid in a recent ranked game. He did pretty well against a bad brand! But 95% of the time this is true. I am SOOOOO tired or 5th picks running our 2nd AP carry.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #422 on: October 06, 2011, 03:58:02 PM

Why not just try whoever you want to try?

If you need a list like this you probably aren't very good, might as well have some fun, learn, and play whoever you find appealing.

Because the #1 mistake people are making, if they care at all about winning and playing with and against better opponents asap is trying out every single champion. It takes more games then most people are willing to admit to "get" a champ let alone start playing decently with it. Considering this is f13 there is no way posters here have the time to play 20 games with every champ as it comes out.

Your best bet is to find a role you enjoy most and slowly master all the champs in that role and for variety try to pick up a champ or two that can play other lanes for when you start playing ranked. Trying to be good at over 3-5 champions is such a waste of time when you are playing with people who aren't even worried about cs yet, don't ward, don't ever take CV, don't go for dragon let alone baron, don't control map/neutrals/buffs, there is rarely a jungler on each team etc. etc.

Once you are playing the game at a higher level you will be able to learn champions faster because you will understand the game in more depth. That's my theory at least.

If not that, there are 83 champions and you only get one week to try ten of them, there isn't enough time or ip to try and buy all of them so I think its useful for someone to tell newbs, hey, try these first they are more likely to be valuable teaching tools, kick ass, be worth your time and ip etc.

There are a decent amount of stories about 2k+ elo players from season one who were unremarkable until they found a champ that they were great with and just played that champ in 95% of their games to get to high elo. Once there they branched out but there are a couple of people who fuck themselves in almost every ranked game because they want to pick the perfect champion for team comp or matchup reasons instead of picking their best champ.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:00:27 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: October 06, 2011, 05:29:35 PM

As a new (not good) player my thought process goes something like this:

a) There are a TON of champs so there are going to be many that aren't good.
b) I don't have the tools or time needed yet to cull the field down myself.
c) The community as well as the game itself pretty much dictate champs should fit into specific roles.

Therefore I should try the 'top' champs from several roles and pick a couple for each that I want to learn.  I can have fun either way so I might as well take the long view to prevent wasting my time mastering someone that's totally outclassed once you reach a certain level of play.  So listening to people bitch and moan, or rave, about various champions can be pretty instructive.

Also I'm not playing really dumb looking champs no matter how good they might be.  I want to look cool damnit!
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: October 10, 2011, 08:05:35 PM

Fresh champs!
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/new-free-champion-rotation-preseason-week-4

I was chanting Udyr, Udyr, Udyr as it came up, but no luck. But Sona is on my "buy as soon as she goes on sale" list, and Yorick and Ez should be fun to mess around with.

Leona...way too much micro the last time I tried her.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #425 on: October 11, 2011, 06:02:27 AM

Oh Leona is not that bad - just load up her stun and shield, throw your sword at someone, and laugh.

And when they run away in a straight line, smack them with Solar Flare and laugh some more.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: October 11, 2011, 04:40:23 PM

So as much as I like Morgana, JESUS Sona can really change a whole game. Maybe I'm used to bards/support classes but my second game with her was 6/4/30

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: October 11, 2011, 06:08:51 PM

Oh Leona is not that bad - just load up her stun and shield, throw your sword at someone, and laugh.

And when they run away in a straight line, smack them with Solar Flare and laugh some more.

Leona, like Karma, is completely dependent on your team. You have good initiation tools and two stuns, but if your team doesn't take advantage of your openings, you won't accomplish anything. This is opposed to other tanks that can dish out better damage (like...every single other tank in the game). Good for organized teams, bad for solo queue.

New champion looks fun.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #428 on: October 13, 2011, 12:03:49 AM

The Leona on my team today was fucking terrible.  She didn't tank shit and missed every single one of her skill shots and ultis.  Was dead nearly the entire game.  I ended up having to build my Jax tanky because she just couldn't get the job done at all.

Played Jax fairly well for once, but I die a goddamn ton when I play melee DPS.  I think the deaths this game were a case of being focused down really hard due to the Warwick and Leona on my team being useless.  I did really well 1 v 1 and 1 v 2 all game.  Still don't know the character well, so I think have a lot of room to improve.

-Rasix
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #429 on: October 14, 2011, 12:56:57 PM

If I was to tell people 10 champs to play until they are no longer nubs (have level 30, get all the good runes, are playing ranked and are over 1200, hit good cs numbers, know where to ward, understand most champion abilities etc) I would include Jax on that list.

Reality is that you wish you had dodge runes but Jax is one of those champs that goes top lane, farms farms farms (how soon you can win the game is ENTIRELY dependent on your cs) has literally one item build and it works so well. Once you have gunblade you are decent and it gets hard for them to fight you while you push top. Once you have gunblade and rageblade its basically "gg" for anyone to try to take you 1v1 unless they are equally farmed AND using one of the other dueling gods of LoL. Once you have both blades and appropriate tank / support items? Its over. If you farmed effectively and are ahead on cs in the game you will be able to kill 1-3 people even if they 5v1 you.

Which means Jax is a champ that encourages you to learn to farm. Then put your stupid teammates on your back and just win every teamfight. Cat herd them into getting dragons, baron and neutral buffs and push nexus.

If you honestly feel you are better than your teammates in every game and the reason you think that is because you out cs your opponents in lane and out cs other carries on both teams...  Play supercarries and you will be able to win 70% or more of your games despite leavers, afk'ers, ragers, shitheads, trolls, bad comps, feeders and all that bs.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:59:39 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rasix

Reply #430 on: October 14, 2011, 01:09:58 PM

I've continued playing him and it's been a pretty positive experience.  In close games you can carry your team, facilitate easy and fast Baron kills, and farm pretty brainlessly once you've got your ultimate.  And if you're winning? It's all downhill.  

Early, you're not that bad, but it depends if who you're playing is awful or not.  If they're bad you can get fed pretty easy, because the leap, dodge, counter hit, and your ulti makes you pretty effective.  It's even funny when they think they're safe sitting under their tower and you just leap, two shot them, and get away easily.

And yah, with him I've found it's incredibly easy to control the neutral buffs and take them for yourself or give away as needed.  I've started cutting down on the dumb ass deaths too, although I seem to have at least one dumb tower dive / trade death per game.  

I'd be interested to see that list, Hoax.   I appreciate the tips for improving my overall play.

edit:

I've got to ask, and this is probably the wrong thread, but what the fuck is up with Teemo players? They're all headcases that think they are super awesome.  They make such a big deal out of every kill or whenever someone steps on a fucking mushroom.  You shit explosives.  Good job.  Now stop feeding their fucking carries, you twit.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:12:37 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #431 on: October 14, 2011, 01:17:57 PM

I tried Ezreal again today in a game of SR, since he was free. The first time I tried him, I didn't care much for him. After this game... I still don't care for him. He's supposed to be a carry, right? Which means he sucks early game but is hell on wheels in the late game? My experience was the exact opposite. Early game, I did pretty good, driving back the Yorick/Yi combo in top lane with the help of a Heim that just sort of wandered between mid and top. But by like level 12, I was just getting facerolled. It didn't help that the Yi on the other team seemed to be just tearing through motherfuckers left and right on our team. I might have built him wrong or just not farmed enough but he just seemed like fodder late game.

Then I played a game of Dominion with Katarina and absolutely owned. 10/3/4 and our team won and I mean won HANDILY. The other team just seemed to suck so hard. I think they had 2 people on their team who had 0 captures and 1 neutralize.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: October 14, 2011, 01:32:26 PM

Dominion seems really volatile, I think a lot of people use it just for trying out champions to get a feel for what they can do before trying them in SR, so sometimes 1/2 a team will have never played their champion before, and not really be playing with the purpose of winning, etc.  Meanwhile, some people use the character they are best with and are trying do win full on.  Its still fun for a quick match here and there, but its a bit odd.

On the topic of characters, none of the free to play ones this week really speak to me.  I might pick up Sona but thats about it.  I'm not a "total newb" anymore, but my friend and I who have been playing together are still pretty new all told, and we've been having success laning as Alistar/Annie.  His only problem with Annie is that people ask him to mid a lot, and he isn't confident at all in his ability to play solo.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #433 on: October 14, 2011, 01:47:40 PM

Sona is a BEAST when paired with a damage dealer, especially late in the game in big team fights. She's one I want to buy at some point just to have.

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: October 14, 2011, 02:01:23 PM

I've been thinking of picking up support, mostly play tank or tanky dps (rammus, nasus, renk). My problem is I can be a tad aggressive, though I've tempered that in favor of farming creeps.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: October 14, 2011, 02:14:12 PM

Janna is pretty fun as well.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: October 14, 2011, 02:17:34 PM

I tried Sona last night in Dominion and it was pretty fun. My team wasn't very good at "grouping" with me, but when they did we were able to knock some teeth out.

- Viin
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:26 PM

If I was to tell people 10 champs to play until they are no longer nubs (have level 30, get all the good runes, are playing ranked and are over 1200, hit good cs numbers, know where to If you honestly feel you are better than your teammates in every game and the reason you think that is because you out cs your opponents in lane and out cs other carries on both teams...  Play supercarries and you will be able to win 70% or more of your games despite leavers, afk'ers, ragers, shitheads, trolls, bad comps, feeders and all that bs.

Hmm maybe I am wrong but there is counter to every "super carry". In fact all carries are relatively easy shut down by tanky dps and assassins. I dont really think one single champ can win vs 70% of comps. I mean exhaust alone shuts down most ofl ad carries easily.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: October 14, 2011, 04:46:44 PM

Out of this week's champs, Sona is the closest I've come to purchasing.  She seems decent but a bit passive for me and super reliant on your teammates.  I'm hoping Janna comes up soon or I might just buy Soraka to try as she's cheap and seems like decent support.  Not sure why I want a support champ next given that I solo queue but whatever.

They dropped Karthus down in price.  He looks pretty sweet.
Strazos

Reply #439 on: October 14, 2011, 05:52:16 PM

So, I feel real dirty when I say this, but...

I've been playing Tryndamere lately, and I think I like it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: October 14, 2011, 05:54:13 PM

Sona is great. The only thing about Sona (and all supports really) is that it sucks when you do an awesome job and your team just can't take advantage.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: October 14, 2011, 07:56:17 PM

What sucks is when you spend the entire match being bitched at for picking sona in the first place, being told how much you suck. Then, after not dying a single time and helping your team to victory, not a single thank you.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: October 14, 2011, 08:55:05 PM

What sucks is when you spend the entire match being bitched at for picking sona in the first place, being told how much you suck. Then, after not dying a single time and helping your team to victory, not a single thank you.

See, this is old hat to anyone who players healers in an MMO.

Edit:  By the way, I'm still trying to figure out what to get next.  I still don't have anything that is magey at all, Morgana and Fiddle were both pretty fun from last week, but I can't decide if I want one of them for sure.  I'm also thinking that something like Jax would be a lot of fun, seems like an interesting middle ground between something like Alistar and something like Tyrndamere (both of which I already have). 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:57:40 PM by Malakili »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #443 on: October 15, 2011, 12:27:15 AM

Jax and Morgana are both awesome as well. Rasix and I just lost a game with him as Jax and me as Sona, and we were doing well. Unfortunately, the team got screwed by a level 5 Ezreal who couldn't kill anything and a level 26 Katarina who did less damage than my Sona. The burst damage Jax gets up to with Sona buffing him was ugly. I haven't gotten bitched at for picking Sona. Morgana is probably a more popular magey type because she can hold a lane on her own.

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: October 15, 2011, 01:46:14 AM

I spent all my ill-gotten IP on Renekton, and all he does is bitch about Nasus all game, even when there's no Nasus on either team. Dude has issues.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: October 15, 2011, 06:12:06 AM

Nasus cannot escape him forever!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: October 15, 2011, 07:20:24 AM

Vayne is a beast.  The last two SRs I played with her I was 24-5 and 20-2 respectively, well timed tumbles mean you are hard to gank and with attack and movement speed items combined with her passive and you can pretty much finish off anyone who is in a bad position against you.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: October 15, 2011, 12:16:14 PM

I picked up Xerath since he was on sale. Kinda fun to play, but boy is he a wet napkin health-wise. Fun to plant a Locus at a tower in Dominion and bomb the crap out of everyone from like 2 miles away.

- Viin
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #448 on: October 15, 2011, 12:30:51 PM

I'd be interested to see that list, Hoax.   I appreciate the tips for improving my overall play.

The list is going to need a complete rework since the gunblade overhaul will change SR especially noob SR games tremendously. Champs that don't require gunblade and can supercarry your horrible teammates:

-Ezreal
-Irelia (best choice in a post Kat/Akali/Jax world)
-Gragas
-Kassadin
-Tristana (best ranged ad to hardcarry games with)
-Udyr

Special Mentions (they can carry entire teams but I would advise against a total noob playing them):
-Leblanc
-Twitch
-Shaco
-Vayne
-Trynd

Everyone else has problems. Vlad needs to be WAAAAY ahead to do enough damage to win. Cho and Singed need teammates to accidentally do some damage to someone to win the team fights. Vayne is really hard to use and weak early which is bad in low skill games where everyone is attacking each other with reckless abandon from level one on. Renekton takes a lot of game knowledge and will eventually lose a 45 minute or longer game. Garen takes a very dedicated amount of farm and can still struggle to supercarry. Nasus too weak before level 11 and +400 on Q. Tryndamere teaches bad habits and has to create some wins through split push. Yi requires team to start fight for him to mop up. Sivir even with 6-item is pretty squishy and her range is still too short. <insert ap burst mage here> can't kill an entire team easily enough if they know to only worry about him. Leblanc is too squishy and takes lots of micro to get right. Lee Sin does require some team support. Sion can't win if other team can break his shield because teammates are useless. Talon can kill people but can't win team fights alone. Ditto Panth. Supercarry out of the jungle is too hard and actually the best champ to do it with is Rammus which requires insane farm, that eliminates the likes of Fiddle, Noct and Olaf from the list. Swain needs a little cc to prevent himself from being hit by entire enemy team's burst. Poppy can't kill entire teams.

Anyways, I considered all the champs and that's my list. If I was playing a smurf and all I wanted to do was win every game to get to level 30 and get away from playing in the dregs of mechanical skill games I would play champions chosen from those six, most likely I'd just play 100% solotop Irelia if teams would let me.

Until the gunblade nerf I would play Jax pretty much 100% with the occasional Akali mixed in if we needed an AP solomid. Because Gunblade is OP as fuck.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:42:59 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Rasix

Reply #449 on: October 16, 2011, 06:51:18 PM

Picked up Irelia since she was on sale.  Any tips for building/playing her?  

Tried Tristana and did pretty mediocre although my second game was a lot better. I was playing her similar to Cait, but with a better chase/escape.  Her W is great for team fights and I was able to push lanes and take down towers pretty well.

low skill games where everyone is attacking each other with reckless abandon from level one on

I find this shit pretty annoying.  But there's no way to avoid it, except if you're in mid.  Then you just have to worry about someone trying to gank you constantly.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:57:56 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: October 16, 2011, 08:00:27 PM

low skill games where everyone is attacking each other with reckless abandon from level one on

I find this shit pretty annoying.  But there's no way to avoid it, except if you're in mid.  Then you just have to worry about someone trying to gank you constantly.

I dunno, I kind of prefer it to the 'high skill games where everyone farms endlessly while making grumpy faces at each other across the creeps.'

Or I guess more accurately I would say that each have their charms.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:02:36 PM by Ice Cream Emperor »
Rasix

Reply #451 on: October 17, 2011, 12:12:33 AM

Yes.  I'd like a happy medium.  Right now the games tend to be a giant 30 minute team fight once everyone has their ulti.  People are so antsy to initiate something; I've been ignited or exhausted just for running in someone's general direction.    awesome, for real

Irelia is fun.  Trying to go Boots (ninja or merc depending on opposition) -> Trinity Force (sheen/phage, then zeal) -> tanky stuff.  I played two games and I liked her ability to take on the other team's carries.  It was funny melting a Lux with my ulti or using it a wipe out an entire minion wave.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:14:04 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: October 17, 2011, 12:17:56 PM

Anyways, I considered all the champs and that's my list. If I was playing a smurf and all I wanted to do was win every game to get to level 30 and get away from playing in the dregs of mechanical skill games I would play champions chosen from those six, most likely I'd just play 100% solotop Irelia if teams would let me.

Hmm what about Gangplank ,Nocturne, Morgana, Annie, Brand  .All very strong champs who can carry. And really irelia is squishy as hell - Talon is better imho
Strazos

Reply #453 on: October 17, 2011, 04:37:24 PM

I don't know if he is good for newbs, but...Xerath seems interesting.

Fear the Backstab!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: October 17, 2011, 07:23:08 PM

I don't know if he is good for newbs, but...Xerath seems interesting.

It seems like the Xeraths I've seen are either really good or really bad. 
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb  
Jump to: