Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:26:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good character for a total newb  (Read 209114 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: October 05, 2011, 10:01:56 AM

I'm not sure how she's supposed to kill people outside of using her ulti.  

Other than snaring and pooling people already low on health she's not.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #386 on: October 05, 2011, 10:04:37 AM

Awesome, I was on the right track then.  awesome, for real

The Ashe was funny, "Put down a trap a next time. It'll help both of us."  This was while we were both running for our lives.  She didn't make it.

"I think you have me confused with someone else. "

-Rasix
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: October 05, 2011, 10:08:05 AM

I tried Fiddle, Vayne and Morgana last night.  Fiddle was hilarius.  I had no idea what I was doing with him.  I couldn't lane worth crap (probably should have just jungled) and my gank attempts were pretty bad.  I had probably my worst PVP game ever with him.

My trouble with Fiddle was that his auto-attack damage seemed awful.  Once you get his AP up it doesn't matter but early on you really have to make the most of his life-drain if you want to get any sort of serious harassment going.  When I tried that I felt like I had to take huge risks or just let them push to tower and fight with it for last hits. 

I'm leary of jungling at all because I'm under level 20 so a) I have no runes yet and b) it forces someone else into a 2v1 lane most of the time.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: October 05, 2011, 10:10:04 AM

Morg doesn't really kill so much as facilitates kills.

This.

Kills on Morgana are very dependent on her ultimate. In principle running her ult until it stuns the person, then dropping the pool and re-snaring them (+on use items if you have them) is the highest burst option, but even then it isn't going to bring anyone tanky from 100%-0. On the flip side, you are very hard to gank yourself, and you are good at wearing people down.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: October 05, 2011, 10:29:08 AM

Though to flip it around just a bit, her kills on dominion can get pretty sick when you consider your tower as the person you're assisting. Rooting enemies and ult'stunning them next to your tower racks up kills like nobodies business.  Plus, the little line when they're channeling on your tower? Perfect aiming guide for a surprise Q-root

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: October 05, 2011, 10:35:50 AM

Awesome, I was on the right track then.  awesome, for real

The Ashe was funny, "Put down a trap a next time. It'll help both of us."  This was while we were both running for our lives.  She didn't make it.

"I think you have me confused with someone else. "

I find that against mediocre lane opponents, it's pretty easy to get a lvl 6 kill by ulting, snare, soil, ignite. (repeat if they flash). If you've worn them down, but they're not getting close, you can do the opposite: snare / flash/ ult/ soil.

Against people who aren't good at last hitting, it doesn't really matter: you should be able to dominate them in CS. She's hard enough to gank that you can just push to their tower (even their second tower, as long as you're warding) and watch them lose CS left and right.

Also, if you are pushing them back/out of lane, you are going to have some awesome ganking opportunities top/bottom. Any snare landing in a gank will force a flash.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:43:08 AM by tastyhat »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #391 on: October 05, 2011, 10:51:26 AM

Though to flip it around just a bit, her kills on dominion can get pretty sick when you consider your tower as the person you're assisting. Rooting enemies and ult'stunning them next to your tower racks up kills like nobodies business.  Plus, the little line when they're channeling on your tower? Perfect aiming guide for a surprise Q-root

She's one hell of a defender in Dominion. I died like 2 or 3 times trying to take a Morg who wouldn't engage me until I tried to take the tower, then she'd slow me until the turret finished the job. I was playing Shen. Luckily I realized I had no chance to get her out of there without some serious focus fire and went to take another tower.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #392 on: October 05, 2011, 01:42:17 PM

Wow there is a lot of what I would consider dubious advice to downright misinformation in this thread.

Since it seems like we have a contingent of people who are working on finding champions they will enjoy here is my personal rundown on why you should or should not bother with the champs that are free this week.

Fiddlesticks:
Why you should -- because he can jungle without runes and rape people who don't ward and aren't disciplined enough to find fiddle before they engage in a team fight next to that bush... Also he can lane against almost anyone who can't break his lifedrain channel.

Why not? -- he is really really squishy which means mistakes = death, you must know all the abilities that can break your drain.

Kassadin:
Why you should -- because assassin champs can carry games almost by themselves, thrive in games with lots of dying going on and prey on bad map awareness. Kass' escapes mean he will forgive you for your mistakes.

Why not? -- he is insanely weak pre-6 but you still need to get farm. If your jungle doesn't exist or will not gank well you may have a hard time getting the power needed to one shot kids. Also you need the jungle to give you every blue from the 2nd spawn on and you can't solo it for shit. YOU MUST SOLO LANE THIS CHAMPION if going 1v1 intimidates you still or your games are so unorganized you can't really count on getting a lane to yourself Kass is a poor choice.

Malphite:
Why you should -- his ult is a super fast, effective engagement tool. If you find games at your level basically come down to which team has the better ad carry since teams can't prioritize targets for shit and the ad carry just stands in the back and kills everyone Malph can be your solution with his hard to stop damage on the carry and his attack speed debuff.

Why not? -- Malph is pretty garbage. He needs farm but can't get it against most opponents. He needs a solo lane but is a weak solo laner. In a duo lane unless you run two mana based heavy harass champs and take Clarity your lane will be garbage.

Morgana:
Why you should -- because she has been consistently amazing since the dawn of LoL. Her kit will always be good. She can get her farm in any lane setup and isn't the worst duo laner in games with no jungle and no thought put into team comp.

Why not? -- people ban her in ranked and draft quite often. Her skill shot is very slow. Her gameplay could be considered quite passive until she farms up AP + Hourglass at which point she can initiate fights.

Nidalee:
Why you should -- In a game where you are being forced to duo she at least has a heal a big poke and traps can be fun to keep them out of brush.

Why not? -- Nidalee probably requires more practice to learn how to effectively use her cougar skills to cs than anyone in the cast. She requires a very high level of micro and also you need to know where you can jump through walls and where you can't. After all that practice you are left with a fairly mediocre champion that really only shines in coordinated games where split pushing is a useful strategy.

Shen:
Why you should -- You can save your idiot teammate's life from anywhere on the map.

Why not? -- Your better off carrying the game not saving your idiot teammate's life. Also nobody has unlocked a good build for Shen he's basically weak across the board.

Garen:
Why you should -- He's simple, his kit is ridiculous, his item builds are fairly simple his playstyle is fairly simple. You can ks shit with your ult. He can duo lane with the right partners and really devastate squishy enemies in a duo.

Why not? -- Garen seems to make people turn into retards. Top men are trying to figure out why. Teemo is a borderline hard counter to Garen.

Kog Maw:
Why you should -- Huge damage. Long range pokes.

Why not? -- Because Kog Maw can't survive anything and your teammates aren't good enough to protect you and peel for you. You wont do that much more damage than many other AD carries and you will die ten times easier.

Vayne:
Why you should -- Tumble is fun, her runes are fairly cheap (she uses lots of attack speed), she can escape with tumble, her ult and her knockback. Also in your scrub elo nobody is going to get oracles or pink ward a lane to stop you. WIN!

Why not? -- Because she is a shorter ranged AD carry, which means if you are at the point where AD carries go bot against another AD carry means you are at a disadvantage that takes good play to overcome. She also asks more of her lane partner than someone like Ashe or Cait which can be a bad thing if your lane partner is likely to be a sack of shit.

Riven:
Why you should -- No mana. New car smell. Pretty good damage.

Why not? -- Because Riven isn't that great, her stun is very short duration and therefore she doesn't add much of anything to a duo lane. She probably (I don't know for sure) can't jungle for shit without runes and her solo top game requires some metagaming and knowledge of matchups that you probably don't have. Its still really early on Riven, if you just started playing its probably best to play champs that have established guides that the majority of the game agrees work, Riven is not at that point yet.

tl;dr aka final recommendations:

DO TRY:
Kassadin, Morgana and Fiddlesticks.
Also worthwhile are Garen and Vayne.

DO NOT TRY:
Kog'Maw, Shen or Nidalee.

If anyone found this useful enough that they'd like a similar post next free week pm me or post here otherwise I probably wont fucking bother. Also if anyone disagrees I'll cut you and then explain how I'm right and you are wrong.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:46:49 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: October 05, 2011, 01:47:40 PM

Hoax forgot to mention (I'm assuming) that he is reffering only to Summoner's Rift, not Dominion play since so many people here are talking a lot about it.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:49:33 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #394 on: October 05, 2011, 01:51:01 PM

Yes. If you want to play TT or Dom figure shit out yourself. That said Kass is probably S-Tier or AAA-Tier on Dominion and decent on TT so I maintain that of all the free week champions you absolutely must try Kass, doubly so because he has some of the cooler skins in League and nice particle effects.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: October 05, 2011, 02:26:14 PM

I agree with most of Hoax's list but I disagree pretty strongly that Kog'Maw is not worth trying. Against new/poor players you pretty much have a click-and-win button in your W, since said players rarely compensate for the range boost. More importantly, I think learning to use your R effectively is going to teach a myriad of transferable skills -- the most obvious being 'how to predict enemy movement and hit skill shots', but also mana management and effective-vs.-pointless harassing.

Also he just has the most ridiculous auto-attacking output, and it is hilarious to chew through enemies once you get your bloodrazor/W maxed. He's a great hero to learn proper positioning on, not because he is good at it but because the rewards for standing in the right place in a teamfight are so remarkably satisfying.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: October 05, 2011, 02:36:48 PM

I'll add that Kassadin is very much a counter pick to mages. Getting matched against a physical character in blind pick makes you way more likely to get stomped in lane phase.

Also: oracle's in lane to counter Vayne? Is that... a thing? That happens?
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: October 05, 2011, 04:05:00 PM

The first char I ever played was Zelian. and this was pre bot games, so I was kinda thrown into the fire.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: October 05, 2011, 05:01:23 PM

Why not just try whoever you want to try?

If you need a list like this you probably aren't very good, might as well have some fun, learn, and play whoever you find appealing.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: October 05, 2011, 05:29:43 PM

Pretty much. Even if you end up sucking with a free week character, you've learned about that character's abilities, strengths, and weaknesses if you ever face them in a game. No reason not to try free week characters, basically.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: October 05, 2011, 05:38:47 PM

I bought the physical package with like twenty chars which was probably a mistake playing morgana for twenty levels.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #401 on: October 05, 2011, 06:03:39 PM

If you need a list like this you probably aren't very good, might as well have some fun, learn, and play whoever you find appealing.

Agreed. Amumu is supposedly not all that great but I have fun with him.  Meanwhile Aklai is supposed to be fantastic and I don't enjoy playing her at all.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:05:21 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:21 PM

Mainly, because if you are just coming to the game and there are like 75 champions, its pretty intimidating.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: October 05, 2011, 08:37:26 PM

Agreed. Amumu is supposedly not all that great but I have fun with him.  Meanwhile Aklai is supposed to be fantastic and I don't enjoy playing her at all.

Amumu is probably the best initiating tank in the game. He gets banned in pretty much every game I play, which is sad, because I love playing him. He jungles like a boss and his damage scales off AP so you don't have to stack armor to be  threat like Malphite.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #404 on: October 05, 2011, 09:24:58 PM

I've never once seen anyone complain about having an Amumu on their team :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: October 06, 2011, 12:08:20 AM

Only three true tanks in the game. Amumu is the unofficial 4th. And arguably the best.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Rasix

Reply #406 on: October 06, 2011, 12:17:37 AM

So many bad Kassadins tonight. Every game I went into, Kog on my side was picked right away.  Ended up playing Cho twice and Garen once because all anyone was playing were the available carries.  Come to think of it, most of the Kogs were awful as well.  I think I saw an AP Kog and another Kog that thought he could face check a 2 on 1.  Repeatedly.  Guy must have died like 20 times.

I liked Garen.  Waiting for cooldowns was a bit annoying at times, but he can bully like a boss. 13/6/12 my first game with him.  Should have had more kills.. but ulti on CD.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:19:47 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #407 on: October 06, 2011, 04:44:01 AM

Must just be my low-level ass then.  I've had people grouse at me for picking him instead of Alistair.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: October 06, 2011, 05:21:41 AM

Faced off against a BRUTAL Vayne last night.  Granted, it didn't help that she was the only one with Flash due to being over level 12, but yowza.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #409 on: October 06, 2011, 07:31:50 AM

Must just be my low-level ass then.  I've had people grouse at me for picking him instead of Alistair.

If you haven't noticed, people in this game will bitch about ANYTHING as they proceed to wander around the map getting killed or not helping you when you get killed.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: October 06, 2011, 07:50:15 AM

I liked Garen.  Waiting for cooldowns was a bit annoying at times, but he can bully like a boss. 13/6/12 my first game with him.  Should have had more kills.. but ulti on CD.  awesome, for real

Yeah you can push  make people hug tower and feel like bitches early game. Too bad Garen is mostly non factor mid to end :(
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: October 06, 2011, 07:56:15 AM

Yeah you can push  make people hug tower and feel like bitches early game. Too bad Garen is mostly non factor mid to end :(

YEAH, Garen is horrible mid game... as he spins and silences and eats people.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

Reply #412 on: October 06, 2011, 08:42:01 AM

Since I was getting a lot of kills and our Alistair couldn't tank worth dick (and liked to wander around the forest on his own); I built atmogs (that's atma's impaler + warmogs, right?) to go along with a trinity force (first), merc treads, and was working toward I think a FoN (probably not the best idea).  I was doing good damage and taking a fair beating.  The Jax on their team was a bit difficult to handle, but anyone else on their team I was just blowing up.  Decisive Strike was knocking 33-50% health of the squishies and Judgment was tearing it up in team fights. 

I felt a bit limited at the end, but I was still a force in the game and they had to focus me or watch their team get torn up.  I think I did pretty good for my team being pretty bad. Our Annie, while beastly, was a bit dumb.  She was initiating really bad team fights with Tibbers. Racking up kills but dying a whole lot.  With better application of my shield I could have done better, but I'm so new to Garen, I honestly forgot it was there some of the time.  awesome, for real

I think I could end up playing him about as well as I play my pirate.  Definitely fun to not have to be passive in lane. I was really taking it to a Kassidin/MF combo. 

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #413 on: October 06, 2011, 10:53:20 AM

Just played a great game of SR as Morgana, on a team with Garen (who laned bot with me to start), Vayne, Ashe, and Kass. How can you NOT succeed/farm/rack up assists with Morgana? Holy shit, she is AWESOME. Ended up with 5/9/16 - I expect to die more than I killed especially with a support role. I don't use her E shield enough at times in big team fights. The team we were against had a Fiddle, Gangplank, Vayne, Kog'Maw and the worst Teemo I've seen. He kept running too close to me, so I'd soil him and even when he had Fiddle laning with him against me and Garen, either I would kill him or Garen would. We ended up losing no turrets and just raping faces left and right. Something like 57-34 K/D ratio.

statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: October 06, 2011, 11:21:57 AM

Get used to hitting opt-e (ctrl? alt? I have no idea what these things are on windows keyboards) on Morgana. Being able to instant self-shield yourself is crucial.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:28 AM

You can set your Self/Smart cast to E, and then when you don't have anyone targetted it will self cast.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: October 06, 2011, 12:10:46 PM

Only three true tanks in the game. Amumu is the unofficial 4th. And arguably the best.

"true tank" = taunt?  Shen, Rammus, Galio?

In all honestly imho true tank = beefy character with peel(=cc) and initiate. Leona, Malphite,Cho , Amumu,Alistair, Singed   all fit perfectly .  Taunt is not the end of it. On the other hand no matter how tanky you build morde its not a friggin tank - as it does not have CC, initiate  or heck anything to make other team pay attention to him
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: October 06, 2011, 12:12:54 PM

YEAH, Garen is horrible mid game... as he spins and silences and eats people.

Garen scales well into late game depending on how you build him. Most people make the mistake of building him with a lot of tanky items, but a hybrid build works best.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #418 on: October 06, 2011, 12:22:23 PM

If you haven't noticed, people in this game will bitch about ANYTHING as they proceed to wander around the map getting killed or not helping you when you get killed.

Good point.. I had an Alkai the other day boast that he'd been 15/3/6 in his previous match but still lost so we'd better not suck like his last team.  He proceeded to go 4/8/0 to an Alistair/ Pirate Bitch/ combo and was mouthing off in TC quite a lot before we surrendered.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: October 06, 2011, 12:31:06 PM

Ways to know that someone is going to be bad:

1. They claim they did great in their last game
2. They bitch because you failed to ban such-and-such character
3. They bitch as soon as one of the first people on your team chooses a completely reasonable character
4. They choose a character because they are "OP" rather than because they are good with them

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb  
Jump to: