Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good character for a total newb  (Read 209094 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: October 03, 2011, 10:56:15 AM

Nasus is one of my favorite champs, great early sustain, deadly late game if you get that Q farmed up. I'd check out Hyfes guide on any LoL site.  Thing I like most about him is most people don't expect you to be able to take off 1/3 or more of their life with a really short cooldown ability.

My biggest issue with Nasus (who I am also a big fan of) is that currently he almost has to solo to get his levels and Q farm.  But he loses lane to a LOT of champions 1v1 if the two players are of equal skill level.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: October 03, 2011, 10:59:57 AM

Nasus is the best. A crit siphon strike is just broken. I've seen hits for over 1500 damage with that thing.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #352 on: October 03, 2011, 11:02:07 AM

He's cheap. I'll have to give him a shot.  A problem with low level games, however, is that you're more than likely going to have a lane partner.

Sometimes you'll have support, and most of the time they'll be just trying for ganks or cs.   Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:12:16 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: October 03, 2011, 11:13:55 AM

He's fine with a lane partner, just make sure you get last hits with your Q as much as humanly possible. If you are getting zoned out and can't feed your Q, switch gears to maxing your AOE so you can hold your lane and get a ton of gold. I've pulled off an AP Nasus in that situation a couple times and it worked really well. It's not as good as criting for 1500, but you'll still be useful.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: October 03, 2011, 12:23:50 PM

Anytime anyone on the other team chooses Nasus I choose Cass and counter-lane them. They have to switch lanes or they can't farm Q at all, at least until they buy a lot of magic resist.

I also play a fair amount of Nasus, I have a set of runes with MR and one with Armor depending on who I think I will be laning against. In general if you can make it to level 6 in good shape you're ok.

Farming with AOE is kind of a waste, Nasus without farmed Q is not particularly valuable.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:52:07 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: October 03, 2011, 12:50:36 PM

I agree he's not fabulous if he can't farm his Q, but using his AOE lets you get way more gold than most other melee champs would be able to against a Cass. I feel like Nasus can still bring a lot to the table in teamfights through his slow and armor debuff even when he can't bring damage, which is a fallback position other melee carries don't have. His AOE also makes it nearly impossible to push down his tower without killing him. I just really like how fault tolerant he is.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: October 03, 2011, 01:39:55 PM

Uh. This is the thing. Out of that list, the only ones you can reliably claim to be good in every solo-queue are Annie, Brand and Kennen. Nocturne maaaaybe (is he snowballs out of control and the other team has no brains).

The solo queue list is for heroes that you can carry with by being better than the other team.   Janna isn't even tier 1 on that list for obvious reasons.   In some respects it's probably only a list you use when you are first or second pick.
Rasix

Reply #357 on: October 03, 2011, 11:57:52 PM

Ohh god, this next free week of champs is going to be hell.

edt: Altough, I do admit there are a few here I'd be trying.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:00:01 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: October 04, 2011, 06:55:32 AM

What? What? No stealth champions. Only Vayne and Kassadin as assassins, and not too much derp potential. It's going to be awesome!

I'm actually really excited to be playing Nidalee, Riven, Kog`Maw, Yorick. They're all on my "try out/maybe buy when they go on sale" list.

That said, it's been literally 17 weeks since Irelia has showed up. Booooo.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: October 04, 2011, 06:55:56 AM

Kassadin looks fun

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: October 04, 2011, 07:02:52 AM

Kassadin looks fun

Kassadin is probably one of the most enjoyable characters in the game to play if you get fed.  You just riftwalk in, kill the person of your choice, riftwalk out and skip away until you feel like doing it again.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: October 04, 2011, 07:09:07 AM

Could have sworn Irelia was free like 3 weeks ago.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: October 04, 2011, 07:12:35 AM

Nope. :( June 14th.
Rasix

Reply #363 on: October 04, 2011, 10:29:33 AM

What? What? No stealth champions. Only Vayne and Kassadin as assassins, and not too much derp potential. It's going to be awesome!

I'm actually really excited to be playing Nidalee, Riven, Kog`Maw, Yorick. They're all on my "try out/maybe buy when they go on sale" list.

No Yorick this week.   Weird, says Riven on the site.  Link points to Yorick.

I'll probably try out Kog'Maw, Vayne, Fiddle, Garen, and perhaps Morg.  I think she'll be snagged pretty early as she's pretty strong at this level of competition.   I was having all sorts of problems with her on Gangplank, but I think that's because she could land that root when I came into range.  Citrus helps, but it still hurts like a bitch.  (Didn't help that center fed her pretty hard).

For some reason, I just think with these choices, this week is going to be really smurfy for those of us low level folks.  Luckily, I'm nearly level 12 so I'll be able to flash away from Fiddle in a few games.   Fucking Fiddle.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:40:15 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #364 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:10 AM

As a general rule (and one I find myself overlooking at times), don't commit to a team fight unless you have eyes on the fiddle. If you don't, assume he is in position to get all crowstorm on your team's face. Ask yourself - 'if I were a cocksucking fiddlesticks, where would I be waiting?'

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #365 on: October 04, 2011, 11:11:07 AM

I had a game last night playing as Maokai (?) where I chose my masteries wrong. Went for physical damage instead of AP, so I had a real slow buildup to anything. We won the game purely on the guy playing Nassus. He was a bragging fucker, but they just could NOT seem to kill him. Not sure why. Meanwhile, there were a few times where I popped my ult and jumped into Fiddlesticks, only to see him just hammer the shit out of me. I played him once, but don't remember his powers enough to know what the hell he was doing to me (obviously I was in melee range). So what the fuck was he doing to me?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: October 04, 2011, 11:12:37 AM

The only time I like to see fiddlesticks is when he is on my team and Thrawn is playing him.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #367 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14:14 AM

I had a game last night playing as Maokai (?) where I chose my masteries wrong. Went for physical damage instead of AP, so I had a real slow buildup to anything. We won the game purely on the guy playing Nassus. He was a bragging fucker, but they just could NOT seem to kill him. Not sure why. Meanwhile, there were a few times where I popped my ult and jumped into Fiddlesticks, only to see him just hammer the shit out of me. I played him once, but don't remember his powers enough to know what the hell he was doing to me (obviously I was in melee range). So what the fuck was he doing to me?

Probably first feared you, and then held his arms out and drained you (channeling spell). The shit hurts, especially on a fed fiddle.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: October 04, 2011, 11:43:58 AM

I played two rounds as Nasus last night and actually did pretty good the first game (first time out with him), getting several kills and dying only a few times.
But the second game, phew that stunk. Up against Kennen and one other, who were doing a really good job keeping me from farming - ended up with 2 kills and 7 deaths and a few assists. Since you need to farm for your Q as Nasus, keeping me from doing that really hurts my damage abilities later in the game. They had a Fiddle which would jump into a team fight and basically toast us all. Since they were *always* running around in a team towards the end of the game, it was pretty hard to counter (and I couldn't take Fiddle on my own unless I got real lucky).

- Viin
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: October 04, 2011, 11:46:32 AM

I played two rounds as Nasus last night and actually did pretty good the first game (first time out with him), getting several kills and dying only a few times.
But the second game, phew that stunk. Up against Kennen and one other, who were doing a really good job keeping me from farming - ended up with 2 kills and 7 deaths and a few assists. Since you need to farm for your Q as Nasus, keeping me from doing that really hurts my damage abilities later in the game. They had a Fiddle which would jump into a team fight and basically toast us all. Since they were *always* running around in a team towards the end of the game, it was pretty hard to counter (and I couldn't take Fiddle on my own unless I got real lucky).

Did you have a jungler? I've solo top laned (as nasus) vs 2 before and I was pushed back but still managed to farm up Q pretty well plus had a lin sin who came up for a gank at the right time to help. I agree vs ranged he has some short comings, best thing might be to build up spirit fire and try to zone them out.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: October 04, 2011, 11:50:59 AM

Did you have a jungler? I've solo top laned (as nasus) vs 2 before and I was pushed back but still managed to farm up Q pretty well plus had a lin sin who came up for a gank at the right time to help. I agree vs ranged he has some short comings, best thing might be to build up spirit fire and try to zone them out.

No jungler, had a lane partner but he might as well not have been there. I did get spirit fire going to keep them away but the ninja has that long-range throwing star and (now I remember) Singed with his counter Trail just made it hard on all of us. :P

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #371 on: October 04, 2011, 12:02:49 PM

That's what it was, lifesteal. I forgot he had that.

statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: October 04, 2011, 05:41:14 PM

Ugh. So Nidalee and Kogmaw both kind of require camera being unlocked to do their stuff. So how do you people who do this manage it? Are you holding down space a lot? Are you using the edges to scroll? Clicking on the map a lot? It just feels like a whole nother thing to juggle.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: October 04, 2011, 05:51:31 PM

Edges to scroll. I have no idea how anyone plays locked given how far you can zoom out.

The only time I really need space is when I lose my champion in a big fight (and I think that's just me being special). Usually keeping your champ centered is just wasting half your screen.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: October 04, 2011, 06:43:57 PM

I ended up getting Tyrn and he is pretty much just what I was looking for, thanks for the input all.  Next up, a mage!  Both Morgana and Fiddlesticks are free this week and I had fun with both of them.
Rasix

Reply #375 on: October 04, 2011, 06:55:04 PM

Ugh. So Nidalee and Kogmaw both kind of require camera being unlocked to do their stuff. So how do you people who do this manage it? Are you holding down space a lot? Are you using the edges to scroll? Clicking on the map a lot? It just feels like a whole nother thing to juggle.

I used to press space while getting use to it, but just stopped. It's pretty easy to click around and just scroll around using the mouse.  Like ezrast, I tend to lose myself in team fights, but that's just me sucking at team fights.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: October 04, 2011, 07:07:54 PM

One problem I have with the scrolling is that there is no way to adjust the camera scrolling independent of the mouse scroll speed. My mouse sensitivity is pretty high so I can move the cursor around, but it makes the camera move at ludicrous speed.

But I have gotten used to the unlocked camera more and more. Especially in Dominion.

There is also a bug that comes up occasionally with dual-monitors where the mouse is not totally captive in LoL and if you go off the side of the screen into the other monitor space your cursor moves and if you click it tabs you out (happens to me about 1/3 the time since Dominion went live).

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: October 04, 2011, 07:49:03 PM

I scroll a bit, but I also use the minimap a lot.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: October 04, 2011, 08:05:49 PM

I scroll a bit, but I also use the minimap a lot.

Not having my side scrolls is the only reason I don't play LoL across all my monitors instead of just on one.  cry

Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: October 04, 2011, 08:48:11 PM

Working my way through this week's free champs and christ is Kassadin fragile early game.  Even with a couple of HP pots I usually need to bail before I can buy anything useful.  Have to return to him later on as once he gets rolling it's pretty sweet.

Kog'Maw seems pretty hilarious once he's decked out with attack speed and proc items.

Going to play some more Fiddle next few days.  I really want to like him and I hear he's a good fuck-with-you champ but I haven't quite made him work yet.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #380 on: October 05, 2011, 08:59:30 AM

Tried Shen on a Dominion game last night. He's uhhh pretty good. We lost the game, but I ended up with a 7/6/4 - which for me is a goddamn accomplishment, not dying more than I killed that is. But we lost, so it really wasn't that great. For some reason, my record on W/L record on Dominion is horrible, but my W/L on SR is decent.

Rasix

Reply #381 on: October 05, 2011, 09:34:22 AM

I tried Fiddle, Vayne and Morgana last night.  Fiddle was hilarius.  I had no idea what I was doing with him.  I couldn't lane worth crap (probably should have just jungled) and my gank attempts were pretty bad.  I had probably my worst PVP game ever with him.

Vayne was a bit easier.  Plays a bit like Cait.  Ridiculous closer, but incredibly fragile.  I see this as a character I could get decent with.

Morgana was a mixed bag.  I didn't do great with her, but I didn't do horrible either.  They stuck me in bottom, because Ashe wouldn't get out of mid.  The GP with me was goddamned terrible and were were going against a smurf duo of Garen and Xin (serioulsy, they had matching names).   I got some kills on both of them, but not before the retarded pirate fed them.  I'm not sure how she's supposed to kill people outside of using her ulti.  The root does pretty damn good damage, what do you follow up with?

If anything, this changing of chracters has shown me that I need to have everything outside of my ulti on smart cast.  I'd put the ulti on.. but I'm afraid that'd make for some really awful GP ults in the future.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:36:04 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #382 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:04 AM

Wait, you had laning problems with Gangplank and Morgana? Goddamn, that Plank player must have been TERRIBAD.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: October 05, 2011, 09:43:11 AM

Morg doesn't really kill so much as facilitates kills.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rasix

Reply #384 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50:23 AM

Wait, you had laning problems with Gangplank and Morgana? Goddamn, that Plank player must have been TERRIBAD.

"Gangplank, they're in the bushes don't go over there."

* Gankplank runs off to the bushes and dies horribly *

Facepalm

I did fine.  I maybe died once to the that combo.  All they did was sit in the bushes, so I really couldn't push the lane.  The Gangplank was useless.  I was pretty much just zoned out and had to bait them out and gank them with the ulti, which worked well enough.

Ideally, top and bottom should have switched or bruiser should have come down in my spot.  Most favorably the Jax, who was tanky as hell all game. He would have put a massive hurtlock on those guys.  

We still did pretty good, considering our Urgot disco'd at level 8 and it was 4/5 a majority of the game. 

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb  
Jump to: