Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good character for a total newb  (Read 209179 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: September 13, 2011, 02:54:24 PM

My newb adventures have taken me to Nasus today. I got the K-9 skin so my skill was great, but he's not quite the early game bruiser Garen is. In the late game he seems to become infinitely more useful, because of his slow and aoe effects.

Next up shall be Brand. I had some spare RP and he was on a half price sale.

statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:21 AM

Brand: so fun, as long as you can hit your EQ.

Soraka: Is the point of AP Soraka just that you farm so hard, so so hard, that in late game, you might actually have a chance of doing some damage? I can't see split pushing with her, because of no escapes.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: September 14, 2011, 09:23:12 AM

I think early lane control is very popular now meta wise. I'd guess Soraka is good at keeping her lane safe.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: September 14, 2011, 09:27:03 AM

Her early game harass is pretty mean if you max starfall first, and with the recent changes to her cooldowns/AP ratios she can easily heal 2/3rds of a squishies life in one go with max AP. Toss a lichbane on her and she actually hits pretty hard while keeping her team up at the same time.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: September 14, 2011, 03:54:13 PM

I bought Morgana after seeing Totalbisuit play her, and she's pretty fun to play. I really haven't figured out her ult though, but I am getting the knack of her skillshot.

I'm alternating between her and Janna. Janna is definitely easier to win on, and getting of clutch shields and knockups is definitely satisfying. I would love to be good at playing a ganky-style hero, but for now I'll just settle on support-botting teams to victory.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: September 14, 2011, 04:13:16 PM

I like to think morgana is my main and I'll say this: don't ever expect to be high on kills. She can harass like a motherfucker, get assists out the wazoo and generally be damn good support but you won't be going around ganking all that much.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:32 PM

Ok, well that's all right then. I have my mid-farm down pretty tight, I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to turn into some sort of late-game monster, or just keep pushing.

Another thought, are there some heroes that I am only going to see on free weeks, or does the game open up more at higher levels? I see a lot of the older and cheaper heroes, even when they are off free rotation (Rammus, Tryndamere, Mordekaiser, Ashe, Gangplank, Yi, Kat etc), but there are plenty of heroes I never see. I have never seen a Cassiopeia, Gragus, Irelia, Urgot, Vayne or Twisted Fate in any game as far as I can recall.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #147 on: September 14, 2011, 04:33:09 PM

You'll see them before 30, but not till you're a little higher up as people start to purchase heroes.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: September 14, 2011, 04:40:10 PM

Yeah, morgana is also a crazy pusher. It's not uncommon for me to go mid and push two towers on my own with her.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: September 14, 2011, 05:56:58 PM

Morg is actually a pretty good ganker, you have two CC skills and a skill that lets you avoid CC.

Morg is pretty hard to play well though. There is a pretty high skill ceiling on landing bindings (especially on the right person) and putting black shield on the right person at the right time. I've played games with Morg where I got a clutch shield on someone just as Ashe arrow flew onto the screen and got a clutch flash into binding to secure a kill. You really need to hit those things to be effective with Morg though.

As far as ult is concerned, get good at using hourglass. Also CDR with Morg is extremely helpful.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: September 14, 2011, 06:55:29 PM

Keys to Morgana's ult:

1) When it is running, you can still use your other 3 skills (so if you can get a W+Q combo on them at the same time it is awesomesauce).
2) Try to move around and keep as many people with the little purple umbilical in range as possible for when the stun+dmg at the end fires.
3) Use it when you are in range of more than one enemy champ, if you can land it to full BOOM on all 5 and your team is not full of morons who focus Mordekaiser it usually leads to your team getting 3+ kills.
4) Don't be afraid to die in team fights while using your ult, just try to stay alive long enough to have it pop to get the stun off.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: September 14, 2011, 07:08:58 PM

Keys to Morgana's ult:

1) When it is running, you can still use your other 3 skills (so if you can get a W+Q combo on them at the same time it is awesomesauce).
2) Try to move around and keep as many people with the little purple umbilical in range as possible for when the stun+dmg at the end fires.
3) Use it when you are in range of more than one enemy champ, if you can land it to full BOOM on all 5 and your team is not full of morons who focus Mordekaiser it usually leads to your team getting 3+ kills.
4) Don't be afraid to die in team fights while using your ult, just try to stay alive long enough to have it pop to get the stun off.

5) Build Zhonya's Hourglass and don't be afraid to just flash into the other team and ult awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: September 14, 2011, 07:36:13 PM

You know what I said about Katarina free week being a nightmare?

Doubly so for Talon. I think people don't realize how useless he is without farm. At least Kat will occasionally pull off a "nobody's paying attention to me while I spin around" kill.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: September 14, 2011, 07:50:55 PM

5) Build Zhonya's Hourglass and don't be afraid to just flash into the other team and ult awesome, for real

Everytime I use zhonya's it somehow doesn't work right. It ends up cancelling both zhonyas and the ult. I am probably doing it wrong :p
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:53:10 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: September 14, 2011, 08:16:09 PM

Hourglass doesn't work with channeled ults like Nunu's, it immediately cancels the ult. But it works with Morg. Make sure to time it as late as you can without dying so you are invincible until the stun goes off and have as much time as possible to chase before you activate it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: September 14, 2011, 08:50:50 PM

I should rephrase, morg ganks well but don't expect a lot of kills, just a ton of assists. It's very hard to get last hit on champs with her but in the end that's not what matters.

Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: September 15, 2011, 01:31:49 AM

Also, if you are flashing into the other team to ult, make sure you have your spell shield on yourself first.

You can't activate your ult OR hourglass if any knockup or stun CC lands on you.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #157 on: September 15, 2011, 07:45:58 AM

Played Singed last night, but I didn't like him much. Having no damage on 2 of his abilities made me feel inadequate. We still won and I got a bunch of assists (and deaths) but only 1 kill. Whatever he's there for, I don't think it's something I enjoy.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:00 AM

Singed is very much a tanky type.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #159 on: September 15, 2011, 08:59:34 AM

Singed is off-tank initiator. Your abilities are also great for chasing/running (pool o goo is the shit). Get people to chase you. Position yourself so that when there team is retrreating they are going to be following you through miasma.

Quick build guide if you want to try him again:

Run teleport/ghost

I run a 0/7/23   - Strength of spirit in defense (important), and obvious shit in support

Magic pen marks, armor or health/lvl seals, cooldown reduction/lvl glyphs, movement speed quints

Start - Regrowth pendant and 1 health pot. Try for solo top.

First back, buy Boots and as much of a catalyst as you can. I sometimes skip boots if I am 6 just get get cata. Your ult/ghost/goo should keep you alive fine.

Rush Rod of Ages, get merc treads. Next up, Force of Nature. From there I go rylai's usually, or Banshees. This can vary. If i get early kills I buy a Mejai (not recommended)

Remember, singed escapes with very little health. Get people to chase and poison them. You have to live on the edge to be a good singed. With FoN and your ult, your regen is retarded. I push lanes very hard mid game, and use my escapes to get away after half the team comes up to gank. Teleport and push.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:01:25 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: September 15, 2011, 08:13:23 PM

Singed is awesome against stupid teams who chase Singed - aka most teams.

Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: September 15, 2011, 11:38:42 PM

Having to type "stop" "don't chase" while watching your team proceed to chase him through towers because he "will die in one more hit" then watching them get obliterated is one of the biggest face palm moments of the game.

Steam Profile
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: September 16, 2011, 06:36:59 AM

Incidentally, nothing funnier than rooting singed in place so he can't run anywhere.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: September 16, 2011, 07:40:46 AM

They should make the Kenyan Marathon Singed skin.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: September 16, 2011, 08:09:42 AM

Thanks for posting the thread on last hitting - I haven't played in forever but decided to try again after reading it and watching the videos.

Previously, I had kinda ignored the "farming of minions" aspect and focused on the PvP portion.. which was obviously a mistake, I died a lot to say the least.

I started playing Sivir the last couple of nights and focused on last hitting/farming in the early game - and so far, at my level (6, woo), I can easily out level and out gold everyone else. Last night I was level 18 while the opposition was still level 12! That was somewhat extreme, but it was never very hard to stay 2+ levels ahead of most everyone.

Now I just gotta figure out the right items to buy for Sivir, so I use that gold appropriately. So far I have focused on health boosts, mana regen, and attack speed.

- Viin
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: September 16, 2011, 08:18:10 AM

Manamune would seem pretty sweet on her. She has some mana issues that I think I used to get a Chalice for her off the bat.

Stark's fervor for AS and Lifesteal, maybe Aegis as well if you wanna be super aura bitch.

Black Cleaver for straight up DPS.

IIRC, Sivir loves getting a bloodthirster late. She farms so well that it really pumps up your sustain and damage output.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: September 16, 2011, 08:29:03 AM

Tips for Sivir... Blade goes through walls and can finish a low champ that is recalling at a tower. Take teleport so you can push like a maniac. You aren't a solo killing beast. Try to stick to team fighting and blade a great runner killer. Watch your richochet mana usage.

Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: September 18, 2011, 07:02:47 AM

Everyone should watch this series of videos.

Things you may not know about LoL

Steam Profile
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: September 20, 2011, 04:43:58 PM

Riven might be the most OP champ I have ever played.

statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: September 20, 2011, 04:50:14 PM

And she just got a round of hotfix buffs too.

Orianna: wow, there is a lot going on there.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: September 20, 2011, 05:33:23 PM

And she just got a round of hotfix buffs too.

OMG where?! I love her but her first week she was clearly UP :(.   They need to at least fix the wind slash.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: September 20, 2011, 06:12:22 PM

Base Stats
Attack Speed per level increased to 3.5 from 2.9
Base Armor increased to 15 from 12
Broken Wings bonus attack damage ratio increased to 0.7 from 0.6.
Ki Shout cast time decreased to 0.25 from 0.5
Valor
Shield increased to 60/90/120/150/180 from 40/70/100/130/160.
Cooldown decreased to 10/9/8/7/6 from 11/10/9/8/7.
Wind Slash
Cast time decreased to 0.25 from 0.5
Missile speed increased by 10% to 2200 from 2000.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: September 20, 2011, 06:36:31 PM

Meh she needs more but I'm glad they improved the wind slash.   If they let her dash go through walls she might become pretty viable.   She's really popular so hopefully RIOT will keep working on her till she's tier 2 at least.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: September 20, 2011, 06:48:11 PM

Meh she needs more but I'm glad they improved the wind slash.   If they let her dash go through walls she might become pretty viable.   She's really popular so hopefully RIOT will keep working on her till she's tier 2 at least.

I don't think that's something they could hot fix. I'm hoping we see some further tweaks in a real patch (like Q always following your cursor) even if those tweaks aren't 'buffs' necessarily.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #174 on: September 21, 2011, 12:00:20 AM

I'm really loving Annie so far.  First pvp game went well. 

Some of the deaths at the end were me just diving in a game that was already done because the middle and top were just getting owned by that Ryze (and their own stupidity).  I was bottom lane solo against a retarded Yi and a pretty ineffective Ashe (however, she was better than any of my teammates).  I got a nice "i h8 u annie ><" after I flattened her for like the fifth time.

Still, it was a lot of fun.  Wish I had a better  gap closer with Annie at times, but it's probably a good thing that I'm not able to dive.  I did get better at using Tibbers  to halt someone / head off gankers.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:02:49 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb  
Jump to: