Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good character for a total newb  (Read 209100 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 10:52:31 AM

8/0/10 is an amazing game, obviously!

You won't be matched with total scrubs for long if you keep that up :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 10:54:37 AM

I know that's probably not good

No, that's downright ballin', at any skill level.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 10:58:53 AM

It was a good match, what's weird it my first 15 games or so were all starting at the bottom of the map. First game I started on top I got my ass handed to me, I was like "But the blue guys are my friends!"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 04:11:23 PM

We should get the new guys in some premades before they quit in frustration and disgust with the "community".   why so serious?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 06:02:55 PM

We should get the new guys in some premades before they quit in frustration and disgust with the "community".   why so serious?

God solo queue is so brutal.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 07:19:46 PM

Being pre 30 is pretty brutal in general.   I was queueing up in off hours yesterday and I guess not enough people were on.   I kept getting queued with random levels ranging from 30 to 6 leading to a string of truly absurd defeats.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:55 PM

My summoner name is Hlem, hit me up if you want a semi-competent lane-partner.  awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 12:17:10 AM

Just unlocked Master Yi tonight. Holy shit, that's like easy mode compared to some of the other champs I've taken.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 12:56:39 AM

Just unlocked Master Yi tonight. Holy shit, that's like easy mode compared to some of the other champs I've taken.

And yet, there are people who are terrible with him.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 01:11:48 AM

So, so many people. Yi is one of my favorite things to see in the enemy lineup once the game starts loading.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 12:11:11 PM

I'm not saying I'm good with him, I'm probably quite bad since I know just about fuckall about the game. I'm still trying to get the hang of the proper items to buy. But fuck, I went from getting dickstomped constantly to pegging both bots and real players with Yi. The only other character I've had nearly the same success with is Gragas who was fun in a whole different manner.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 12:23:05 PM

Friends don't let friends play vs bots.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 01:11:30 PM

Yeah, you might think: oh, I'm no good! But I waited to start playing pvp till summoner 7, and I wish I had been doing it from 1. Because you know, you may not know what you're doing at 1, but neither does everybody else.

I use custom games for trying out new champions though.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 28, 2011, 01:14:16 PM

If I have limited time and just want my 2x bonus, a bot game is a good way to get it pretty assuredly. Then again, you can get "that" team occasionally.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 01:45:40 PM

I'm not saying I'm good with him, I'm probably quite bad since I know just about fuckall about the game. I'm still trying to get the hang of the proper items to buy. But fuck, I went from getting dickstomped constantly to pegging both bots and real players with Yi. The only other character I've had nearly the same success with is Gragas who was fun in a whole different manner.
I wasn't saying Yi is bad - he's fine. But people play him like he's an unstoppable assassin meant to chaaaaaaarge anything he sees when his real strength is his mobility and consistent damage output, making him a great roamer for split pushing and cleaning up team fights.

At least, I think that's what's going on. I'm kind of a noob myself.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 28, 2011, 02:16:48 PM

Yeah, you might think: oh, I'm no good! But I waited to start playing pvp till summoner 7, and I wish I had been doing it from 1. Because you know, you may not know what you're doing at 1, but neither does everybody else.

I use custom games for trying out new champions though.

Same, I use custom games for trying different jungle routes and learning the skill set for a new champion.  But for new players it's so much better to just jump into matchmaking and fight through it imo.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 28, 2011, 06:48:50 PM

Yi is definitely best if you can find one guy by himself or for cleaning up a fight after a few casualties. Rushing in first with Yi typically means a dead Yi who did nothing.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 28, 2011, 07:54:50 PM

If you guys run a regular team and have room for one more, I'm getting more and more frustrated w/ solo queue. Just hit 21 and splurged on tier 3 runes. woo!

I feel like I play a decent Janna and Morgana. I'm confident as jungle amumu. I also have been getting better with Cho lately as well. Look me up if you ever need someone to fill out a premade. Summoner name is Bandit11.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 29, 2011, 05:30:09 AM

Cool, I'm almost always on from 11:00pm EST till 1 or 2am. I'll add ya.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 29, 2011, 07:50:20 AM

Yeah, I'd love to get some premade games in (tastycap). I've been playing supports/junglers (Alistar, Nunu, Cho, RIP soraka support), but I should get some more carry experience (although I can faceroll Annie).

It always ends up, playing in normal, that 3 or 4 people lock in carries in the first few seconds, and then I take the support/jungle/tank.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 29, 2011, 11:28:54 AM

I would be up for playing some games with adults. Getting real tired of the only "premade" groups of people I end up running with being a bunch of kids born in the 90s who think that saying "nigger" every 5th word is the best thing ever or go afk 2 minutes into a game because their dad "is being a douche".

I pretty much am only good at supports (Morgana and Taric are my best 2) though I try to learn a bit about how other champs work and can play a few others o.k.

Play around the same timeframe as Slayerik mentioned he plays.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #56 on: August 29, 2011, 12:41:49 PM

After having played less than 10 matches in Heroes of Newerth, I can safely say this community is full of choir boys. HoN's community made me want to stab someone just so I could throw up on their corpse.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 29, 2011, 12:46:36 PM

After having played less than 10 matches in Heroes of Newerth, I can safely say this community is full of choir boys. HoN's community made me want to stab someone just so I could throw up on their corpse.
So I heard, but as has been said before, /ignore early, /ignore often, makes even solo quequed games much more enjoyable.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 29, 2011, 12:47:34 PM

Yeah, from what I remember of DotA people would bitch incessantly *every* game, usually at me. Only having to listen to bitching every other game is nice!

I'm usually playing with RL friends in the evenings but anyone can feel free to add me if they want to queue with someone who's not 30 (I'm level 22) and not a douche (well, not a total one); I'm on a lot. Same name as on here.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 29, 2011, 01:18:42 PM

So I heard, but as has been said before, /ignore early, /ignore often, makes even solo quequed games much more enjoyable.

HoN also has voice chat enabled by default  awesome, for real
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 29, 2011, 06:11:57 PM

I just found out you can now ignore players from the  ingame score screen with a single mouseclick

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 30, 2011, 06:35:43 AM

I had a friend add from Ezrast yesterday when I got home, and we teamed up for a few games. This was the first time I've ever joined as a team, or talked with someone before hand about what we ought to run together. Easily the most fun I've had playing LoL. We ran Janna + Vayne pretty successfully, with his friend diablq (sp?) splashing in for some of the later games.

For those other new players who have never ran as a group before, do it. It's so much better.

For the vets, please add/bother me for a game whenever you have room.

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 06:46:45 AM

*edit*

Whoops, double post.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 07:49:19 AM

We honestly are getting to the point again where we can do 5 on 5's :) I'll try to get everyone added and maybe we'll do that one night a week.

Once you start queuing for pre-made 5 mans, the level of play goes up very quick. You will only get matched against another 5 man. Honestly, if you are just looking to have fun and mess around it is probably best to queue 4 or less. If you want to test your skills and (kinda) try-hard, hop in our nightly 5 man.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:53:19 AM by Slayerik »

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 07:53:57 AM

We honestly are getting to the point again where we can do 5 on 5's :) I'll try to get everyone added and maybe we'll do that one night a week.

Once you start queuing for pre-made 5 mans, the level of play goes up very quick. You will only get matched against another 5 man. Honestly, if you are just looking to have fun and mess around it is probably best to queue 4 or less. If you want to test your skills and (kinda) try-hard, hop in our nightly 5 man.

I'm mostly gone, school started again this week and the little bit of free time I do have right now is going to Deus Ex I'm sure.  Ohhhhh, I see.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 06:49:28 AM

Yi is an odd duck he is really nasty damage dealer but he is also squishy as all hell. Yi seems to be a champ either you just roll over people and get tons of kills or you get sat on early and you wind up 1/20/2.

Plus side is late game even if sat on he is great at backdooring turrets due to his speed boost.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 10:02:47 PM

So, I'm looking for a champ who is
-a good jungler (rare at low levels)
-able to carry (will mostly be solo queuing)
-not tanky (I have Rammus for that, and bruisers are all too common)

I'm also not very good with Fiddlesticks, although I love having one on the team. Trundle is the one bruiser I actually like so far, but I don't know if he can carry late game.

Buy Trundle, since I like him? Suck it up and get good with Fiddlesticks? Wait to try Nocturne on his free week?
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09:33 PM

Sounds like you want Ireila to me. Most jungles are tankish tho, in one way or the other. Mostly through lifesteal. Their tank is their attack.

Jax does it through his dodge/stun.
Lee Sin does it through his ee,ww combo from what I can tell.

I'd say go with Ireila, but she can be a royal pain in the ass to master and get right. Also don't bother with her unless you are level 30 and have runes. Her pay off is great, and she is a fucking pain to get away from.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 10:12:25 PM

Akali or Gangplank are your best bet if you're looking for characters that are not tanky but can jungle and carry. Almost all of the good junglers are bruisers (like Irelia) with a few tanks mixed in.

Tryndamere would also fit the bill, since everyone builds him as a 6-second glass cannon and he can completely steamroll games.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 01:47:57 AM

Is an AD carry really the best way to make up for crappy team mates?   I consistently get way more CS and way less deaths than other people in my games but I can never turn that into anything useful.    My bad team mates always start dying right away and the game seems to be over 10 minutes in.   I can completely dominate my lane but that just means the enemy team quickly targets me in a team fight.   It almost feels like the best way is to go for extremely risky ganks early on that would be considered flat out stupid in normal play.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb  
Jump to: