Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Monetizing 3rd party apps 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monetizing 3rd party apps  (Read 12931 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 02:18:56 PM

They're already got everybody they're gonna get based on sandbox PvP...there's no more money to be made there.

It's not the PvP crowd they've milked to the max.   Really it doesn't matter what they do.   They can't get mass market appeal with the systems they have.   At the same time people will quit if they change those systems.  That's probably why CCP has been so desperate to get something else going via Dust or their shitty vampire MMO.

I'm surprised someone hasn't created the WoW version of Eve and proceeded to eat CCP's lunch.  Eve reminds me so much of Everquest in its early days.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 03:44:27 PM

their shitty vampire MMO.

When that shitty Vampire MMO turns out to be excellent, and to finally be the one that succeeds beyond its first few months, I am going to laugh at all of you.

Oh Edward! You care!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 18, 2011, 03:48:15 PM

their shitty vampire MMO.

When that shitty Vampire MMO turns out to be excellent, and to finally be the one that succeeds beyond its first few months, I am going to laugh at all of you.

Unless they name it "Twilight Online" and allow you to play as goth chicks, emo fags or native american 'rebels', it'll be a shitty MMO.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 18, 2011, 05:02:03 PM

WoD has three of the four.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 09:16:42 PM

These days? There is no BoB, and Eve is sadder for it.

There's always an evil empire packed with smug elitists who need taking down a peg or two. It's how these games work. It's why people get so sucked in.

At the moment in addition to DRF I'd say PL have some claim to be the new BoB although they have the sense not to claim sov anywhere so they're not really an empire. They are smug elitists who need taking down a peg or two, very much like Bob were 4 years ago.

Did they have meaningful opposition 4 years ago? Because the current game mechanics and political landscape is pretty much unipolar.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 11:16:34 AM

They're already got everybody they're gonna get based on sandbox PvP...there's no more money to be made there.

It's not the PvP crowd they've milked to the max.   Really it doesn't matter what they do.   They can't get mass market appeal with the systems they have.   At the same time people will quit if they change those systems.  That's probably why CCP has been so desperate to get something else going via Dust or their shitty vampire MMO.

I'm surprised someone hasn't created the WoW version of Eve and proceeded to eat CCP's lunch.  Eve reminds me so much of Everquest in its early days.

We had Earth and Beyond.  I think if E&B came out today, it'd be a huge success with all of the tech that's come since it sunk.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 02:27:52 PM

That's not the only Space-WoW. The other obvious example is SWG-NGE, which thousands of players switched away from in order to play EVE.

The Diku/EQ/WoW following is entirely different from the UO/SWG/EVE following. Treating them as interchangable has already cost various people millions of dollars.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:36 AM

We had Earth and Beyond.  I think if E&B came out today, it'd be a huge success with all of the tech that's come since it sunk.

I don't know about that.   E&B didn't fail because the tech was hard.   Making a space ship game where you can't buy new space ships wasn't exactly a testament for their future success.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Monetizing 3rd party apps  
Jump to: