Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: 1.3 Scavenger Hunted Notes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.3 Scavenger Hunted Notes  (Read 59816 times)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 06:11:51 AM

Bards suck even up to rank 6.  Im rank 5 and I am still cannon fodder.  Unless you spec with decent enough survivability from Riftstalker, etc you get nuked down hard and fast.  Its sad that a class sucks this hardcore until they reach the maximum PvP end game gear.  The biggest problem with them is scaling...there is none. 

As for rogues being overpowered, geared rogues maybe but ungeared rogues suck.  Clerics and mages that are well geared laugh at rogues who are not.  Point is any class thats geared in Rift is strong(assuming you dont spec like a moron) and this applies to rogues, mages, cleric and warriors. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 06:18:08 AM

I was going to say rogues are shitty in warfronts.

I don't have any fun playing mine at all, then again I haven't put any effort into it. Bards are hard to kill? How?  Their healing is terrible.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 08:04:00 AM

As for rogues being overpowered, geared rogues maybe but ungeared rogues suck.  Clerics and mages that are well geared laugh at rogues who are not.  Point is any class thats geared in Rift is strong(assuming you dont spec like a moron) and this applies to rogues, mages, cleric and warriors. 

Gear helps, but not as much as someone that knows how to optimize their build for pvp.  The biggest weakness I see that differentiates good pvp players from bad, is that the good player recognize that they need to have certain abilities to be effective in PvP.  Walking into the warfronts with a pve spec is a guaranteed fail regardless of gear unless you have a pocket R6 cleric following you around.  Cooldowns are king in the warfront as are mobility.  Being able to stun/silence/mana drain/ability cancel a caster gives rogues a huge edge against mages and poorly played clerics.  I've watched R6 rogues solo every class in the game effectively in the WF and it's a beautiful thing to watch. 

As for bards, they're more of a nuisance than anything.  When surrounded by a good team, they can be tough to drop.  I guess that could be said for any class.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 08:10:14 AM

After many hours of testing by many top pve warriors it seems that dual wield is by far the best option atm, for both raiding and pvp.

I am the .00000001428%
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 12:57:52 PM

I don't have any fun playing mine at all, then again I haven't put any effort into it. Bards are hard to kill? How?  Their healing is terrible.

Rogues aren't shitty in WF's. But then I pretty much only play WF's cause getting a T1/T2 group on Dimroot right now is like finding water on the moon.

That said, there are some specific builds you need to be good, like any other aspect of the game. Your Sab/Bd or RGR/Sin build is going to suck fucking hard in PvP. Others, not so much.

EDIT: "Your" as in the generic, not specific to Draegan.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:01:01 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 01:04:40 PM

I don't PVP at all, so I don't what the good or bad specs are honestly.  I should probably learn.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 02:23:29 PM

Stack bleeds, slip away, let dots tick, come back and finish me.  Seems to be all they do.

I am the .00000001428%
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 03:57:41 PM

Stack bleeds, slip away, let dots tick, come back and finish me.  Seems to be all they do.

I play more nightblade...51 points for Living flame.  You almost have to have 32 points in NB for Fell blades(50% reduction to heals) if you want to kill anything as well.  Blackout is one of the single best skills in the game for taking flags and survivaility.  Sin with bleeds/poisons is decent and Ive done it but have always found NB to offer a lot more warfront wise.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #43 on: June 16, 2011, 04:10:27 PM

44 MM/Anything for eradicate and mobility.
32 NB for Fell blades works somewhat (although NB is kind of poor now IMO).
51 assassin/15 inf is a great build but gear dependent
32 Riftstalker can win Whitefall and Port Scion single handed although you won't kill anyone.

Basically you need Mobility, Purge/Heal Debuff, Damage. Pick 2 of those and you'll be fine.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 05:40:46 PM

Yes.  Rogues are overpowered in PvP

Ah, ok. For a second I thought you meant the opposite. We agree completely.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:14 AM

I don't have any fun playing mine at all, then again I haven't put any effort into it. Bards are hard to kill? How?  Their healing is terrible.

Bards are not hard to kill.  Interrupts, stuns, or hell, just attacking them with anything.  Anyone can kill a bard faster than the bard can heal itself, and bards can't damage anyone enough to kill them before dying.

Since bards don't scale, though, it's a good choice to run as an r1 to be at least a teeny bit effective in a warfront.

On another note - the rank grind is really not much fun as more people get higher.  There is just far too much difference between the high ranks and the low ranks.  My rogue is r3 and I don't know if I possess the masochism and stamina to continue to play much.  I'm logging in less and less to play my rogue.  Ditto with my mage, although she is r2.

My cleric, though, is having a ball in the 20s bracket.  Every game is close.  Wins/losses seem about even.  It's really fun.  Warfronts just shine pre50.  Post50, not so much.  Since I don't particularly enjoy rolling other people any more than I like being rolled, maybe I'll just stick to leveling up in the warfronts.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 04:08:07 PM

The strength of the Bard is the AOE healing and the buffs. These are not 1v1 strengths. So yes 1v1 people can and should nuke down a Bard.

I quite often Bard at the start of the warfront but whether I stick with it depends on my team. If we make a pack of 5-8 I follow them we roll over everything and I never die. If all the cats run off in different directions I hit the Role button.

The Soul is fine. And other options are really pretty good. Nightblade has high dps and healing debuff. Assassins are excellent. Marksman are very hard to kill if you have the sense to lurk behind other juicier targets. And even with no gear a debuffing MM is extremely useful. People whine about Wardens when there is a class that can literally shoot the hots off. Many Souls are rubbish if they lose their buffs (I'm looking at you, Justicar).
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 08:55:25 AM

I just switched to this "battle bard" spec - it's really fun.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MVcM.Vf0Abs0o0o.Vcb0iRskVz.0V0c

Thread with discussion here:
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?189724-Battlebard-%2832bard-26-bladedancer-8-assasin%29-good-fun!&s=c2bdf713084aceb4fadc8b914e13ecf1

This bard spec is more gear-dependent, but still useful at low ranks.  MM using eradicate to strip clerics/mages/warriors also quite helpful early on.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 08:05:56 AM

That's not a bad PVE spec for 5 mans. 

For PVP: here's something I'd like to try to see if it actually works, Bard/RS/BD:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVcp.E00h.Eczo0qso.x0xchqb0zz

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 08:20:08 AM

Why would anyone play a bard for a 5 man?  1.2 made 5 mans so easy that you really just need a tank, a healer, and 3 dps.  I guess if the tank is overgeared, you could play bard as main healer. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 08:37:06 AM

Why would anyone play a bard for a 5 man?  1.2 made 5 mans so easy that you really just need a tank, a healer, and 3 dps.  I guess if the tank is overgeared, you could play bard as main healer. 

I quite agree.  But some people love playing Bards.  If you over gear the instance, that Bard spec can heal during some boss fights and trash though.  Bards are pretty shitty all around though.  Even in Raids they are the third best buffing class behind Warlords and Archons.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:15 AM

I recently tried a bard build with a lot of Riftstalker for the phase shifting and subsequent 15% crit bonus that lasts 10 or 15 seconds after.  Cadence hitting and subsequently healing for 180-200 dmg per tick(crit) is actually pretty dam nice.  Using virtuoso with fury with that crit bonus is pretty nasty spammable dmg to a lot of people.  Its sad though that I need my level of gear and high crit to pull it off. 
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:17 AM

For PVP: here's something I'd like to try to see if it actually works, Bard/RS/BD:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVcp.E00h.Eczo0qso.x0xchqb0zz

I'm going to try it.  Looks like a great spec for running shards.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 10:03:19 AM

I'd probably tweak it even more with 1 pt into reprisal instead of Dodge.  Also maybe put some points into heal on death instead of +crit from shifting.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 10:31:18 AM

I'm still messing with my bars, but I gained a bunch of hps.  Now at just under 7k.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 07:21:29 AM

Since this seems to be the current build thread, how nerfed have clerics been since beta?

I used to like the Inq mixed with Sent/Just but they took out a lot of the life synergy. Then I rolled a Shaman/Just/something (Inq? Druid?) that was pretty cool for melee. I just started with a Shaman/Just.

I was kind of thinking of something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00nja.Eedx0rsAz.V0xz.Vq0o

I remember the Shaman/Druid being pretty nice for melee but needing a bit of help in the healing department. Set up mostly for straight physical damage and crits.

The Justicar method is nice for a bit of extra armor and some passive heals, though the nerf to make it proc mostly on Justicar abilities kinda hampers the effect. Something like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00nra.Eedx0RsAz.Eu.Va
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:48:50 AM by Sky »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 08:42:15 AM

Clerics are extremely OP as healers, not sure how they do at anything else.  If you like winning though you are gonna be healing.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 21, 2011, 11:39:50 AM

Since this seems to be the current build thread, how nerfed have clerics been since beta?

I used to like the Inq mixed with Sent/Just but they took out a lot of the life synergy. Then I rolled a Shaman/Just/something (Inq? Druid?) that was pretty cool for melee. I just started with a Shaman/Just.

I was kind of thinking of something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00nja.Eedx0rsAz.V0xz.Vq0o

I remember the Shaman/Druid being pretty nice for melee but needing a bit of help in the healing department. Set up mostly for straight physical damage and crits.

The Justicar method is nice for a bit of extra armor and some passive heals, though the nerf to make it proc mostly on Justicar abilities kinda hampers the effect. Something like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00nra.Eedx0RsAz.Eu.Va

Leveling is still your typical Druid(Satyr)/Shaman type of build with a little Justicar on the side.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 11:49:09 AM

Except I don't like Druid/Satyr.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #59 on: June 21, 2011, 12:03:16 PM

I'm having no issues as a shaman.  Doesn't have a lot of buttons, however. It's shaman/druid/warden. Warden just for a hot and ranged pull with waterjet.  Take jolt, it's a free attack off the GCD if you crit.

I switch to a just/shaman/x build for soloing elites and tanking rifts.  Gal was able to solo down that elite 3 man quest in Silverwood.

I may switch to a druid build soon.  Shaman just isn't active enough for me.  It's tough to kill (2 damage shields, 1 hot (warden), Glory of the Chosen, faerie) and kills at a decent pace, but I don't like it a ton right now. It just feels SLOW.  Could be the whole cleric + 2 hander thing, however. 

-Rasix
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 12:08:05 PM

I'm doing the same thing, except I'm shaman/druid/sentinel for the instant heal rather than the hot. I think it may kill faster than my warrior did, but geezus, it's boring. You basically do nothing but spam either the single or aoe macro for the whole fight.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 12:29:14 PM

I'm having no issues as a shaman.  Doesn't have a lot of buttons, however. It's shaman/druid/warden. Warden just for a hot and ranged pull with waterjet.  Take jolt, it's a free attack off the GCD if you crit.

I switch to a just/shaman/x build for soloing elites and tanking rifts.  Gal was able to solo down that elite 3 man quest in Silverwood.

I may switch to a druid build soon.  Shaman just isn't active enough for me.  It's tough to kill (2 damage shields, 1 hot (warden), Glory of the Chosen, faerie) and kills at a decent pace, but I don't like it a ton right now. It just feels SLOW.  Could be the whole cleric + 2 hander thing, however. 
A shaman/druid/sent build with the instant can solo elites in blues (maybe a couple purples), but it does have to be a crit build. It was better when Justicar would proc off abilities outside that soul. I wish I had kept track of my beta builds. I really like warden, but with sentinel you can pull some utility for the melee side (+att power and crit and a crit+ active).

My healing build was pure warden for a while, but it's too hard to keep up with the spikes and I didn't group enough to practice with other builds.

I was looking at Jolt, but not sure how to fit it in. In that first build I don't even have Rage of the North, and that needs to go in for the crit stuffs. But Jolt slots in great for a crit build, so I'll have to rejig a bit. I could pull a point out of Luminous Gaze (5% chance of crit for 15s) to get RotN (7s of autocrit, 1m CD).

/ramble
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 12:46:58 PM

What's a good pvp dps cleric spec to level up in warfronts with?

I usually play my warden/sent/purifier for healing, but every once in a while there are too many healing clerics in a warfront.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 01:02:19 PM

What's a good pvp dps cleric spec to level up in warfronts with?

I usually play my warden/sent/purifier for healing, but every once in a while there are too many healing clerics in a warfront.

I'm just going to quote myself from the Soul Opinions thread.

I tried the melee cleric builds and found them surprisingly squishy when compared to my necro/lock at any similar level with the added bonus of being way slower. In my 20s I got tired of dying to caster clerics in WFs and decided to out a caster. That was a game changer. With the right spec it was like playing a cross between my necro and a tank warrior and things died fast. like Inquisitor/Justicar/Sentinel starting at 31.

Vex the crap out of as many as you want. Find a tree to hide behind to LoS casters. Soul Drain, Circle, Circle, Soul Drain then use your instant cast macro to finish off anything left standing. Repeat. Add Reparation for more healing. Occasionally fight a mob solo for Aggressive Renewal mana and call it a day. I like Sentinel for 20% more crit (Walk in the Light) and another instant cast DD (Life's Vengence), but the bubble in Purifier is handy early on. Past the 11 points in Justicar and the 10 in Sentinel, I just filled out Inquisitor in ways that fit how I like to play.

Other than the tree portion, the instructions are the same. In the case of WFs, find the biggest group of casters standing around, run up to them Soul Drain away.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 21, 2011, 01:22:02 PM

I hate macros.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 21, 2011, 01:25:36 PM

I hate macros.

If it wasn't for macros and how they handle skill order/execution, I'd have given up on this game a while back.  Is it cheesy that one could put a bunch of abilities into one macro and spam it for win?  Sure.  But if you can come up with a better way for this multi-class system they've got here that allows me to get things done without giving myself carpel tunnel, I'm all for it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rasix

Reply #66 on: June 21, 2011, 01:26:02 PM

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 21, 2011, 01:39:06 PM

But if you can come up with a better way for this multi-class system they've got here that allows me to get things done without giving myself carpel tunnel, I'm all for it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Remove macros and may the best man win.

I should probably stop playing Rift now before it reminds me how much I hate mmo before TOR is released...
Rasix

Reply #68 on: June 21, 2011, 02:11:57 PM

Too many buttons and reactives.  I'm not 19 anymore. 

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 21, 2011, 02:40:24 PM

Except I don't like Druid/Satyr.

Ok then play a gimped build until an Inquisitor Soul Drain build works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: 1.3 Scavenger Hunted Notes  
Jump to: