Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Your teeth and people who drill them 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your teeth and people who drill them  (Read 78712 times)
ghost
The Dentist

on: May 19, 2011, 09:24:15 AM

Okay. I just had another patient that had bugs crawling all over him.  ACK!  I can't even describe how gross this is.  That's two in a week. 
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:54:08 AM

How does that even happen?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:11:54 AM

I have no idea.  And these weren't lice.  They were bugs you'd expect to find on a corpse.  /shiver.  ACK! ACK!

Edit:  I'm actually going to start a thread on E85, I think
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:23:42 AM by ghost »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:56:13 AM

I think I'm going to just take a sledgehammer, locate ATT's IS department, and start hitting their damn servers with it.

All I want to do is LOG IN AND PAY MY GODDAMN BILL. I can't DO THAT because whatever fucking moron is running their system has decided the proper response to a "login request" is a "404 error".

Brilliant show there, old chap.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 12:16:05 PM

Welp, just put braces on the wife.  If I don't post again you know it's because she stabbed me.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:17:03 PM

I have no idea.  And these weren't lice.  They were bugs you'd expect to find on a corpse.  /shiver.  ACK! ACK!

Edit:  I'm actually going to start a thread on E85, I think

Was there necrotic tissue or were they just that filthy?  ACK!

As to how it happens, I'd go with psychosis of some sort but hey, you'd know better.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 12:18:00 PM

The guy was actually relatively clean-ish, but just had these bugs crawling on him.  They looked like little cockroaches.  I think you're probably spot on about the psychosis. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 12:25:49 PM

Welp, just put braces on the wife.  If I don't post again you know it's because she stabbed me.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Was she struggling or did you drug her first?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:26:53 PM

No, she actually asked for them.  Trust me, it was not going to happen until she did.  Not only am I married to her, she's a pediatric dentist so she knows somewhat about what I'm doing. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:27 PM

Maybe you have some kind of weird reverse acid flashback where you see bugs crawling on other people.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 01:06:53 PM

The guy was actually relatively clean-ish, but just had these bugs crawling on him.  They looked like little cockroaches.  I think you're probably spot on about the psychosis. 

Wait.  Does ghost equal grunk???
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 01:13:40 PM

ghrost?

Edit:  And that may have been possible, Ingmar, but my assistants saw it too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:32:45 PM by ghost »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 02:48:20 PM

Meh, dentists always said my teeth were pretty borderline as far as needing braces, and since the decision was left to me (a child at the time)... Ohhhhh, I see.

I kind of want to get invisalign some day, but it's going to have to be in a few years...and by then I'll be past 30, so I'm not sure there will ever be a reason to.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 04:38:30 PM

If you've made it this far there's probably no point.  The dirty little secret of orthodontics is that braces won't make your teeth any healthier at all.  You won't be at less risk of periodontal disease or cavities, and recent research actually points in the opposite direction for periodontal disease.  It's almost 100% an esthetic venture. 

I just had the staff put braces on me.  This should be an adventure.....
Strazos

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 06:26:02 PM

Right, I would just be doing it for looks, as I have some small gaps in the upper teeth, and minor crowding on the bottom.

I've been pretty lucky with dental health up to now, so that's not the issue.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 07:05:14 PM

Here's another pro tip.  If you have crowding on the bottom and spacing on the top you might be able to save yourself some money by simply going with veneers or bonding.  When you have that going on the normal deal is that the upper incisors are too narrow.  Even with braces you might have to have at least bonding, and probably veneers.  Nobody sees your bottom teeth typically so just save yourself a step and some money and get the veneers.  Unless they are grossly out of whack, then you'll probably need both.
Strazos

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 07:07:34 PM

How much do braces cost? Last time I was at the dentist I priced out veneers...would have needed 4, and it was not cheap.

Fear the Backstab!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 07:18:01 PM

NOTHING from a dentist is ever cheap.

Thus why they always have tons of free toothbrushes and pens! :-p

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 07:33:43 PM

I typically charge around $6000 for Invisalign.  The thing I am trying to save you the pain of is getting Invisalign for a similar price and then having to pay for veneers, etc. on top of that.  The best thing you can do is get to see a very good dentist (preferably one that isn't trying to sell you Invisalign, to take out bias) and see if they can do veneers on you as is.  If so, it may cost you $6000, but that is it, and your smile looks better immediately.  Whereas with Invisalign it may take a year or more.  

Edit:  As Chimpy said, nothing at the dentist's office is cheap.  You will be doing yourself a great favor to get a well respected dentist that will help you to spend the least amount of money possible to get the result you want.  It may not be cheap, but you'll want to get the best value, which means cost, appearance and longevity.  If you spend half as much but it lasts a tenth as long you haven't won the battle. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:39:00 PM by ghost »
Strazos

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 07:59:03 PM

Yeah, the office wasn't actually trying to sell me anything. Shoddy maintenance aside ( Ohhhhh, I see. ), the hygienists were saying they thought my teeth were actually alright and were actually sort of trying to dissuade me from the idea. Part of the concern was cosmetic, but I've also chipped my front 2 pretty well and I thought veneers would provide protection (once as a child, and then once as an adult when it was cold out and my teeth with chattering and one of the incisors somehow got *caught* on a lower tooth and chipped).

I ended up coughing up a few hundred dollars to get all my back teeth sealed, since at the time (Sept 09) I thought I was going to a 3rd world country with no dental care fairly shortly.

Fear the Backstab!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 08:01:23 PM

I ended up coughing up a few hundred dollars to get all my back teeth sealed, since at the time (Sept 09) I thought I was going to a 3rd world country with no dental care fairly shortly.

That was actually a pretty wise investment. 

Well, I personally think Invisalign is a pretty shoddy product in a lot of ways, and from what you are telling me I almost always expect that the upper teeth are too narrow.  It's tough to tell and I think some expert help would be in order.  Just go see an orthodontist and see what they tell you.  It can't hurt and they usually won't charge you anything for the consult.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 08:19:15 PM

My ortho had to widen my mouth with an activator.  Really, I'd not do it again if I had the choice.  I could have lived with the overbite.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 08:20:50 PM

Yeah, we used to believe that shit worked.  I had to wear a headgear, which come to find out can make about a 2-3 mm difference when all is said and done.  Sounds like great results for the year and a half I had to wear that thing.  

Edit:  Anyway, I guess let's stop shitting up the entire board with teeth  ACK!.  If anyone has any questions about anything feel free to PM me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:23:09 PM by ghost »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 08:50:39 PM

My dentist's first words upon seeing me as an adult (late 20s, first time I vistied the guy. Used another dentist prior) was "So, your orthodonist just give up on your bite then?"

He's agitating to get me to have my jaw fixed (surgery), insofar as I'm apparently damaging my soft teeth and it can cause 'migraines and other problems'. I'm 35. If it starts CAUSING migraines I will revist the issue.

As it is, I have soft teeth. I have yet to have one pulled, cracked, chipped, I have not had a root canal, I've basically been okay on the teeth front, despite soft easily ground away teeth. (Apparently too much flouride? I can't remember the reasoning. I know my orthodonist had a hell of a time getting brackets to stick).

Other than that, he just cleans them and does an occasional filling. He's approximately 94 million years old, and the guy is awesome. Part of it is because he grasped early that I'm happier when someone is explaining WHAT they're doing to my mouth as they're doing it. So I get stuff like "This? This is basically a cheese grater. For your teeth. I've got to grind off a bit to get this filling to sit properly between your molars. Sadly invented by Nazis. Useful tool, sad experimental process."

Which reminds me, need to get my kid to an orthodonist before Oct 1.
Strazos

Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:11 PM

Unfortunately I dropped the ball late last year and wasn't able to sign up for dental during open season, so... Ohhhhh, I see.

Even if I really could see someone for free, we're not allowed to take time off during training, so I'm SOL.

Fear the Backstab!
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 04:21:31 AM

How much do braces cost? Last time I was at the dentist I priced out veneers...would have needed 4, and it was not cheap.

Just got out of my mine after 8 months (they were only moving like three teeth).
I got them done at the Ortho school clinic at our local teaching university.

Cost me $100 per tooth and since they put on 6 brackets it cost me $600 bucks. This included all follow on maintenance/check ups as well.
Had to go back to get three brackets re-attached as they popped off my teeth which had porcelain veneers on them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 07:17:35 AM

Last time I was in the chair, the dentist asked if I'd been grinding my teeth. Now, I obsessively and constantly grind my teeth, in fact it's one of my secrets to good timing when playing music, I've always ground left-right-left-right to the beat. I promised him I'd try to stop and went home and saw what concerned him - cracks showing up on several of my front teeth. Now I'm constantly trying not to grind my teeth, but it's so automatic.

I also wish I'd have had my wisdom teeth removed as a kid, to relieve some of my lower jaw pressure, it's tight in there. Always break some floss.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 07:37:04 AM

So who's ready for Saturday night?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 09:04:55 AM

This cup of coffee tastes great. I think I'll make a second pot, then go powerwash and scrub all the winter detritus off the boat.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 09:19:53 AM

I just split this into it's own thread. I find it interesting.

I've had teeth whitening, unfortunately while it made my teeth's color look great I do have discoloration near the gums on one of my incisors. My dentist said that it's likely calcium deposits and that a veneer is the only way to get rid of it.

Sadface.

I also have one root canal and a bunch of cavities. I get them near the gumline which makes it really difficult to manage. Fortunately my dentist is one of the best in the nation, he was apparently voted so in a thing where all the dentists in the country vote on themselves. He's done me good!

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at once about 5 years ago. I was so incredibly loopy from the meds, I didn't care about anything that week.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:24:48 AM by bhodi »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 09:42:10 AM

Oh fuck me another terrifying thread... I have a solid aversion to dental visits due to the fact my childhood dentist never actually believed me when I said I could feel white hot pain when he was drilling. Never seemed to numb me up effectively enough to drill without me noticing or shooting my ass off the seat when he hit a sore spot.

That said, I am now dealing with his deep drilling by having most of my molars root canalled because, a) over the years, decay set in on the edges of the old fillings and b) I never go to the dentist given my past torturings. However, all three of the root canals were perfectly painless and the last was insane with the dentist only using a single shot of septocane and a follow up when I started feeling a twinge once he opened the root. The prior ones were painless, but novocain was used liberally.

Anyone have teeth pulled? Christ it sucks... no real pain, but pressure up the ass and watching the dentist struggle and feeling his arm shake from all the force he was putting into the extraction is enough to push me to the panic attack envelop.   ACK!

I hate this thread.. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 09:47:20 AM

Anyone have teeth pulled? Christ it sucks... no real pain, but pressure up the ass and watching the dentist struggle and feeling his arm shake from all the force he was putting into the extraction is enough to push me to the panic attack envelop.   ACK!

He wasn't doing it right.  Always try to go to an oral surgeon for your extractions, if you can. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 09:57:22 AM

I got an oral surgeon in Amsterdam.  She was truly talented.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 10:08:36 AM

I would have to  assume that she was doing it right.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 10:27:40 AM

He wasn't doing it right.  Always try to go to an oral surgeon for your extractions, if you can. 

Give me some reference as to how it is SUPPOSED to go... Since I need two more pulled.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Your teeth and people who drill them  
Jump to: