Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift Releases "Ascend-A-Friend" and "Free Trial" Programs 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift Releases "Ascend-A-Friend" and "Free Trial" Programs  (Read 19743 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: May 10, 2011, 09:19:33 AM

Rift has just released their recruit a friend program called Ascend-A-Friend which is basically a 7 day free trial with perks for both parties ala the WoW Recruit-A-Friend program.

They have also released the 7 Day Free Trial. Pretty self explanatory.

**Selfish stuff below.  awesome, for real

If anyone is planning on trying this, could you use my ascend a friend link, as I would like to get the mount. I don't think there would be any downside.

Morv's Ascend-A-Friend link.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:04:33 AM

I got my rewards this morning from the last trial. The mount is really nice and definitely stands out below 40 among the turtles.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:10:54 AM

Three friends for the horse?

That explains the hat and the dog I got yesterday.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 05:44:48 AM

Sorry, didn't see this in time.  I did the free thing over the weekend.  Biggest problem was it logs you off for taking too much time dl'ing the 15-16 hour patch.  So, the first night it stopped around 3-4 a.m. and then my Windows program rebooted after installing a patch....the whole dl was lost.  Did it during the day the next day and had to kick start it once (didn't lose what it had dl'ed,) and it worked fine.

Played a ton last few days.  I'll probably buy to at least get a month in.  Seems worthy of that at least.  Been off WoW for over a month now playing Single Player games on PC and PS3.  Been liking single player, which at least the early stages in RIFT feel like.  Yet, they have this dynamic thing going with all the rifts, etc.  Not sure if the weekend is the only time for these huge across the map battles (sorry, don't have the lingo down yet,) but man that felt pretty epic.  Anyway, neat game so far.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:31:48 AM

Rift is an ok game 1-50 and well worth the box.  Like any MMO, it gets exponentially better once you find a good group of friends.  I was about to cancel my sub two weeks ago and met a nice group of people to play with.  Now I'm getting to see content and look forward to logging in just to be social.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:38:56 AM

Without a better PVP model, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who expects strong end game PVP.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:42:02 AM

I can't imagine anyone seriously expected that. 

-Rasix
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:51:13 AM

I will eventually try the PvP, but with any MMOG, I grab my enjoyment while I can.  Once that is gone, I can always quit.  I've seen enough to play and pay for a month or two.  I'm confident I'll get enough out of it for that. 
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 12:26:06 PM

I've been trying the 7 day trial for the past few days but so far I'm nonplussed. It's not a bad game, it's well made, looks pretty, has an interesting system but so far I just can't seem to get excited over it. It's missing something in the overall atmosphere department but I can't put my finger on what that something is. The only thing that I can say is that to me it feels tedious to play. LotR and DDO felt the same way. I really hope it's not because I'm so used to WoW after all these years.

I think I installed it last Thursday or Friday so I've got a couple more days to tool around with it. I do kinda like my druid build (I forget what the other two souls are right now). I first tried a rogue (hated it) and then a mage (hated that slightly less). If it doesn't grab me in the next few days I might check it out again in 6 months to a year when the box price has fallen and it's matured a bit.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:30 AM

I will eventually try the PvP, but with any MMOG, I grab my enjoyment while I can.  Once that is gone, I can always quit.  I've seen enough to play and pay for a month or two.  I'm confident I'll get enough out of it for that. 

My advice is, if you have any interest at all in pvp, play the warfronts on the way to 50, don't start at 50.  In my opinion, they're much more fun pre-50. 

Once you hit 50, you're a baby 50 without gear or pvp skills (which you get by earning prestige ranks which open up the pvp talents in the pvp soul), but you're in warfronts with people who have these things.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:05:53 AM

My advice is, if you have any interest at all in pvp, play the warfronts on the way to 50, don't start at 50.  In my opinion, they're much more fun pre-50. 

Once you hit 50, you're a baby 50 without gear or pvp skills (which you get by earning prestige ranks which open up the pvp talents in the pvp soul), but you're in warfronts with people who have these things.

I've been playing the warfronts as a bare, ungeared 50 and I'm doing fine.  Most people are so terrible at pvp that being successful is easy so long as you accept that there will be a few geared folks that will grossly outclass you. 

The warfront queues are fast and the games go quickly.  It's a nice distraction from PvE but not good enough as a standalone.  It's pretty much identical to WoW in that regard.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:50:54 PM

a) Did you get your mount?
b) If so, does someone else want me to free trial on their behalf?

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:35:31 PM

Trialing it. I may not make it to even level 10, the 'push this button every time you don't have another button to push' attack is a really irritating piece of design (if I'm going to push a button, it should do something meaningful, not be a glorified auto-attack), and the game so far takes the prize for 'least compelling setting' ever in an MMO played by me, wrestling the title away from Champions Online.

I do like the way the spec system works in theory, although I can't imagine there's any semblance of class balance yet, too many moving parts for that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:00:21 PM

I really, really, REALLY, wish the setting could have been compelling to me in even the slightest way. I mean, I'm not asking for 100% immersion here, just something that wasn't that blandmatic world. Either that, or by the time I come back around they have patched in leveling speeds to be in-consequential.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:43 PM

and the game so far takes the prize for 'least compelling setting' ever in an MMO played by me, wrestling the title away from Champions Online.

It's a race between Rift and Aion for me.  They're both fairly bland. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 06:36:42 AM

I'm still somewhat shocked people care about things like that, i could not tell you what the setting was of a single mmo. 

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 06:37:48 AM

I really, really, REALLY, wish the setting could have been compelling to me in even the slightest way. I mean, I'm not asking for 100% immersion here, just something that wasn't that blandmatic world. Either that, or by the time I come back around they have patched in leveling speeds to be in-consequential.

Leveling takes about 2-3 days of played time.  That's pretty quick.  As for immersion?  I guess it's kinda tough to feel attached to an MMO world when you never played the IP before.  There is a theme and storyline in the game that you can follow, unfortunately its mostly in quest text and dungeon scripts.

Trialing it. I may not make it to even level 10, the 'push this button every time you don't have another button to push' attack is a really irritating piece of design (if I'm going to push a button, it should do something meaningful, not be a glorified auto-attack), and the game so far takes the prize for 'least compelling setting' ever in an MMO played by me, wrestling the title away from Champions Online.

I do like the way the spec system works in theory, although I can't imagine there's any semblance of class balance yet, too many moving parts for that.

How do you compare RIFT combat to WOW combat?  Seems the same for me.  The class systems is pretty balanced considering the game's age and the variables involved.  At least on the PVE end of things.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 08:06:39 AM

Do not put immersion elements into an MMO I'm playing unless it has no impact on makig it play less like a game.  Most often, that isn't the case, thus lack of immersion.  Single player games have plenty of it because you don't "live" in a single player game.  You go through it once or twice and then you're done.  If I have to "live" in a game that tries to be too much like real life, I won't play for long.

Combat?  Same as WoW, but with a few more buttons/abilities and less wait time between them.  I do see a difference in that the instant powers with only the GCD really are basically the autoattack since the real autoattack is way way slow.  But you could also look at it as being able to time your other CD powers with your autoattack more effectively...  I dunno, not a big enough difference to bother me.  Compared to some WoW situations (Paladins,) too many button pushes is better than falling asleep poking a button every 10 seconds.

Levelling isn't a big deal, but I'm not in any big rush to get to max right now.  I might be that way after I get one char there later.  I've never had a problem with that though.  I'll only have 4 alts for this game, so that is a vast improvement and puts less emphasis on lvl'ing speed for me.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 11:34:05 AM

I'll give this thread a couple more hours, but if no one says "Yes, Sjofn, here is my referal link" I'm not going to trial for anyone. Nyah!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 11:41:07 AM

I got my flaming horse last night with a 3rd referral conversion!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47:38 AM

I got my flaming horse last night with a 3rd referral conversion!

Well aren't you just the king of turdtown.  why so serious?

(and I am only jealous... if I still played that is)

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:41 AM

I'll give this thread a couple more hours, but if no one says "Yes, Sjofn, here is my referal link" I'm not going to trial for anyone. Nyah!

I'd give you mine, but I don't have enough care to figure out how to do it.  Nyah!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 12:01:52 PM

Yes, Sjofn, here is my referal link

I am the .00000001428%
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:11 PM

Leveling takes about 2-3 days of played time.  That's pretty quick.  As for immersion?  I guess it's kinda tough to feel attached to an MMO world when you never played the IP before.  There is a theme and storyline in the game that you can follow, unfortunately its mostly in quest text and dungeon scripts.

Oh I know, leveling might be quick, but for a world this dull and quests this rote, it has to be almost instant for me. I recognize that there is a good end game up there, but I'm not doing those horrid quests to get to it.

The way I looked at it when I was leaving, is that the game isn't just competing with WoW (or whatever your favorite MMO happens to be), but it's competing with my current WoW toon, already maxed out and halfway geared. That meant that, given the similarities of the games, I went back to WoW.

If this game had come out 3 years ago it would be king of the pile right now; but it didn't. It came out in an age of advanced MMO burnout, and their wasn't enough slight of hand in it's setting and world to mask that for me.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:06 PM

It came out in an age of advanced MMO burnout

Is this really true? I know it's true on f13 certainly, but aren't there plenty of people who just got introduced to MMOs in more recent years?

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 05:03:01 PM

Yes, Sjofn, here is my referal link

Heart

EDIT: omg, Threash, apparently we will be linked FOREVER. Forever!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 05:09:55 PM

How do you compare RIFT combat to WOW combat?  Seems the same for me.  The class systems is pretty balanced considering the game's age and the variables involved.  At least on the PVE end of things.

I do appreciate that when I hit the button, the thing actually happens rather than going into the animation queue like some games, but otherwise I get more of a WAR feeling than a WOW feeling from the game in terms of the actual play so far. But it is just a feeling at this point.

I am already starting to see the overpopulation of aggro mobs that I've seen other people complain about.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 09:24:48 PM

It came out in an age of advanced MMO burnout

Is this really true? I know it's true on f13 certainly, but aren't there plenty of people who just got introduced to MMOs in more recent years?
Anecdotal experience, but from my guild (~30 people) almost all of us bought RIFT.

6 of us got to level 50; the rest either cancelled already, or have not logged in after they got to level 20-ish. The general reaction was "oh great, I have to grind up via WOW BC era quests again... is it 2006?" and "so when is SWTOR coming out?".  awesome, for real

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:57 PM

"oh great, I have to grind up via WOW BC era quests again... is it 2006?" and "so when is SWTOR coming out?"

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? I assume it was deliberate on your part but that is some hilarious sad irony.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 09:37:36 PM

Maaaaaaaaaaybe...  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

(I'm looking forward to GW2 and nothing else basically, but I'll still get suckered into SWTOR for the 'free' month)

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 04:10:41 AM

The "brawl" skill (here is a filler skill, enjoy!) feels like busy work, but otherwise I am liking it so far. Of course, I'm all of level three on my little warrior. I made an alt already, who is also level 3. I do not like the lady armor thus far, please tell me eventually my ladies will get to wear armor. Real armor. My cleric wants pants, not a silly little miniskirt, for example.

Maybe I will catch up to Ingmar on my Sjofn and we can see how DUOING works.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 05:41:01 AM

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 06:08:48 AM

I do appreciate that when I hit the button, the thing actually happens rather than going into the animation queue like some games, but otherwise I get more of a WAR feeling than a WOW feeling from the game in terms of the actual play so far. But it is just a feeling at this point.

I am already starting to see the overpopulation of aggro mobs that I've seen other people complain about.

This game doesn't have Mythic seconds, so I don't see the comparison to WAR at all.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 11:07:09 AM

The "brawl" skill (here is a filler skill, enjoy!) feels like busy work, but otherwise I am liking it so far. Of course, I'm all of level three on my little warrior. I made an alt already, who is also level 3. I do not like the lady armor thus far, please tell me eventually my ladies will get to wear armor. Real armor. My cleric wants pants, not a silly little miniskirt, for example.

Yes, females start off looking ridiculously naked.  You should almost instantly get a quest piece that goes completely to moo-moo style.  Then, you'll complain about looking dumpy for many more levels until you get something that resembles armor.  Now that was a mage I tried out, so different classes and factions may differ.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 11:42:29 AM

This game doesn't have Mythic seconds, so I don't see the comparison to WAR at all.

Like I said it is just a 'feel' thing for me at this point. Certainly the interface is copied almost wholesale from WoW. I definitely rolled my eyes when I hit "I" and got the dungeon finder instead of my inventory, and "B" opened my bags. That's one place where I really hope WoW doesn't become the standard, on the "I is not inventory" thing.  tongue

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift Releases "Ascend-A-Friend" and "Free Trial" Programs  
Jump to: