Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW raid IRL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW raid IRL  (Read 3767 times)
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

on: May 04, 2011, 05:49:34 PM

Article here (and slightly dated).

FBI agents recently raided at an apartment at University Towers in Ann Arbor as they investigate potentially fraudulent sales or purchases of virtual currency that people use to advance in the popular online role-playing game World of Warcraft, records show.

I thought the barrier for getting the FBI involved in cybercrime was pretty high...  Is this Blizzard pulling strings, or something far beyond RMT?

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:53:23 PM

It might be high, but this isn't just cybercrime.

Agents are investigating whether at least one person engaged in a scheme to set up fraudulent bank accounts to buy and/or sell "virtual currency" or "gold" to be used in the game, federal court records show.

Monetary and banking fraud is a prime mission of the FBI.  Investigating the above quote is fully within their mission and theirs alone.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 06:14:29 PM

Selling Gold in WoW, FBI doesn't give a shit.

Pretending to sell Gold in WoW and just taking peoples money, FBI does give a shit.

That's my understanding.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:24:34 PM

I saw the topic and instantly imagined 40 cosplayers beating up a flaming cardboard Ragnaros in Times Square or something. Glad it's just finance fraud and not something really egregious.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:00 PM

Man, now I want someone to do that.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:08:06 PM

As long as they youtube it and at least one person dies while three people seriously try to rez him/her.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW raid IRL  
Jump to: