Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:38:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Killing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Killing  (Read 3411 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: April 17, 2011, 08:59:54 AM

On Sunday nights at 10pm on AMC.  Stars Mireille Enos as a detective investigating the murder of a teenage girl.

I can't say much more without spoiling it, so I won't.  I watched the first episode skeptically, because I expected it to be like CSI, and I'm not a CSI fan.  It's not like CSI whatsoever.

Terrific show, it's sucked me in.

Can see the first 3 episodes here:
http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-killing
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:21:49 AM

Its apparently based on a Scandinavian TV series. It looks rather good, more Wire than CSI.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:59:08 PM

I've got the original two Danish series on DVD, but haven't watched them yet. I worked for the TV network that aired them in Australia and they had a fiercely loyal following, discovered when we were flooded with complaints when the online catch-up copy of the final episode had some initial problems. It's said to be a bit like Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:08:54 PM

I watched the original, 20 episodes was more than enough for me so I won't be watching the remake.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:31:58 PM

I watched the original, 20 episodes was more than enough for me so I won't be watching the remake.

Just burned out, or did you not like it?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 11:43:43 PM

If it had been 6 or 10 episodes it would have been great, imho but they had to play with your expectations too much to stretch it out as far as they did. 
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 02:37:49 AM

Just started the first episode.

1) no one lives(or is around) under the bridge to West Seattle, so there are going to be no hangars on if someone is murdered there

2) Cop has an umbrella. Who the fuck uses an umbrella in Seattle?

edit: also they haven't beat up any black people. I just don't believe it.

edit: From the Blue Moon to Mercer Island? quite a trip
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:46:09 AM by Goumindong »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:15:18 AM

was filmed in Vancouver, btw.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:14:28 AM

was filmed in Vancouver, btw.

makes sense, not many recognizable areas by me except the skyline and the first area(supposed to be harbor Island). The only really jarring thing is just how damned far these kids are supposed to be going. They have the "rich kid" who lives on Mercer Island (but doesn't go to school there were everyone else would be rich, since they mention "going to the Island"*), this kid supposedly had Marginal Way as a haunt, which is downtown Seattle and simply unlikely that anyone who isn't a street kid would ever get to (because no kids but street kids live in the city, parking is shit down there, its entirely industrial and anyone on Mercer Island could score what they wanted elsewhere easier) and you need a car unless you live in the city because public transport outside of downtown is pretty bad), but also hits up famous Seattle bars in the University District; a place on the other side of town with an entirely different vibe.

*In addition, there would be no schools that someone who lived on Mercer Island could reasonably attend off the Island. The closest is probably Franklin(pretty much Urban), or something in Factoria(where no one would ever go into Seattle ever).

Its just jarring. People seem to be all over the place and their high school seems to be at least an hour and a half (given the park behind it) from those locations.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:46:16 AM

This may come as a surprise but TV does that all the time.

Television shows, even when they are supposedly representative of a real life area, take great liberties - whether it's with geography, careers, or whatever.  I mean, look at how computer science or IT is portrayed - or the legal profession - or the medical profession - and so on. 

One of the funniest things to me watching '24' was how Jack Bauer could get around Los Angeles any time of the day or night within minutes.

Don't get bogged down in the minutiae of all that, just suspend what you happen to know and go along with it.  When Seattle is depicted on TV, think of it as "Seattle" not the place you are familiar with.

I suppose that Vancouver is more friendly (meaning cheaper) to film companies than the states, as a lot of things are filmed there when they supposedly take place in Oregon or Washington.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 04:58:34 PM

At least when I watch Law and Order the characters say "how did he get from here to here" or "what the fuck was he doing in X"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 05:21:19 PM

Television shows, even when they are supposedly representative of a real life area, take great liberties - whether it's with geography, careers, or whatever.  I mean, look at how computer science or IT is portrayed - or the legal profession - or the medical profession - and so on. 

Watching "architects" on any show is enough to make me blind rage at times.  Ted Mosby on How I Met Your Mother is only the latest offense in a string stretching back to at least Mike Brady.

Long ago I realized the only profession ever presented remotely accurately is "writer for a comedy show."  However, even then they're still a little too hip, cool and sober compared to their real life counterparts.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 02:17:35 AM

Try watching Irish accents, the first ever episode of burn notice should be considered a war crime.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Killing  
Jump to: