Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Depressing Pet Death Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Depressing Pet Death Thread  (Read 112927 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #175 on: April 30, 2019, 12:57:51 PM

I love a dog whose favorite game is "CHASE ME" and does not know the meaning of "too far." Annoying but so cute.

Sorry about Maggie, Shannow.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #176 on: July 24, 2019, 06:36:13 PM

Mr B went away today, last week he was fine, but asthma and pneumonia did him in. 11 years is a good run, but not good enough. I'll miss him grooming my beard at bedtime every night, and his head-down rolls at my feet for attention. A good cat.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #177 on: July 24, 2019, 07:37:40 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. 11 years is too short of a time.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: July 25, 2019, 06:34:10 AM

Sorry to hear, Rattran.  Heartbreak

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #179 on: July 25, 2019, 08:29:02 AM

Thanks all, it never gets easier.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #180 on: October 07, 2019, 06:40:18 AM

I generally avoid this thread.

About a week ago, we had 7 cats. Today we have 3. These have been moved indoors until the perpetrator is dead.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #181 on: October 07, 2019, 07:51:37 AM

Oh no, that's horrible. I'm so sorry - hope a resolution comes quickly.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 07, 2019, 09:11:36 AM

Oh no!  That's got to be horrible, Yego!  Hope you can find out what's been hunting your cats.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #183 on: October 07, 2019, 09:31:59 AM

I found out what it is last night. Coyote. I missed. Need a better rifle and some legs for it (and to be a better shot). Those should be coming this week (minus suddenly being a good shot). A shotgun that is effective at 50 yards might exist, and I'll use that if I can get one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #184 on: October 07, 2019, 09:39:29 AM

Go practice at a shooting range.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #185 on: October 07, 2019, 10:09:30 AM

Typically practice in the backyard when I do. Not often enough to hit a coyote at 75 yards.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 07, 2019, 11:45:18 AM

You need to zero in the sights first.  You can’t hit anything until you do that.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #187 on: October 07, 2019, 04:39:22 PM

12ga shotgun with BRI sabot slug is accurate that far... if you are. There's always more coyotes than you'll see though. Coyotes are pretty neat, but they're a reason why I have indoor cats and the ducks go into a 1/2" mesh hardware cloth hut at night.

[edit] Have you considered an M20 claymore? I'm sure they can be bought in Atlanta. "This side toward enemy"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #188 on: October 07, 2019, 08:49:03 PM

If you can airmail him to San Francisco, I promise he'll have all the feral cats and raccoons he can eat.

If he's housebroken I'll let him sleep in the garage and he can deal with the mice too.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #189 on: October 08, 2019, 11:06:42 AM

12ga shotgun with BRI sabot slug is accurate that far... if you are. There's always more coyotes than you'll see though. Coyotes are pretty neat, but they're a reason why I have indoor cats and the ducks go into a 1/2" mesh hardware cloth hut at night.

[edit] Have you considered an M20 claymore? I'm sure they can be bought in Atlanta. "This side toward enemy"

You seem to be kidding, and I can dig it. I'll answer seriously anyway.

I have a friend bringing some weapons that should fit the project. He doesn't have a 12 that he has fired, so we are going with a Ruger 6.5 precision bolt action, a Chinese SKS, and a Winchester 1892 which was requester by my wife. The 1892 is absolutely overkill but is a lot of fun and very, very accurate. Unlike my wife's rifle, he has been shooting his recently and they are definitely sighted correctly.

I've thought about traps a lot. The claymore and similar are far too indiscriminate for what I'm trying to do. The outcome will probably be armadillo, possum, or raccoon bits. The armadillo "threat" is pretty low on my list, and I probably could take care of that guy with a melee weapon based on seeing him in the same area on the same night... if I was of a mind to eliminate him. Similarly, I'm not in favor of poisoned bait. The raccoons and possums comprise the Cleanup Crew here, removing all things that the cats don't eat.

Likewise, I don't poison off all the anthills. Worse things appear if there are no ants. Hakuna Matata, Circle of Life, etc.

If you can airmail him to San Francisco, I promise he'll have all the feral cats and raccoons he can eat.

If he's housebroken I'll let him sleep in the garage and he can deal with the mice too.

I'm not above using a live trap since the kill traps are pretty dangerous, IMO. If this happens, I'll ask him if he is housebroken and if so, will buy him a bus ticket.

If he was eating feral cats, that would be one thing. Three trusting kittens and an established Perimeter Defense Fatty-Catty is another matter.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 09, 2019, 12:04:13 PM

Although there are always more coyotes, only one may have gotten the taste for feline, and be brave enough to come get it.

It's "funny" (in a non funny way) how different the same critters can behave in slightly different biomes. Since you're shooting at them I assume you are in the country, but how close to urban are you? I mostly hear about urban coyotes killing pets.

Anecdotal of course, but out here waaay to the west of Atlanta we have no shortage of coyotes (I enjoy hearing them at night), but have never lost a pet to them, and we have to keep the cats outside due to spouse allergy.

As for armadillos, after I observed them digging up both fire ant nests *and* yellow jacket nests in the yard I've let them be. Those divots they dig out are probably good for aerating the ground...

Edit: just remembered that you live over west of Atlanta too. Hope the coyotes out here aren't picking up a new diet...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 12:05:56 PM by Mandella »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #191 on: October 11, 2019, 01:03:50 PM

My house is about 27 miles northeast from downtown Carrollton. I live in a 40-acre field and we shoot away from any houses, and always downhill in any case.

I think you're right about the individual coyote, since we have lived here for 17 years and not had this sort of problem. Of course we usually lose a young cat when we get a new set of them but in this case the coyote was definitely plucking them on a regular. No doubt the cats being super trusting probably tried to rub on him and play, and what predator can say no to that?

I have learned a lot in a few days. They are rather lingual, for one thing.

I almost got him last night, but night hunting is HARD. The Ruger isn't able to hit anything closer than 60 yards (where the bait is and where I saw him last), and I can't see the iron sights on the 1892 in moonlight, so when he came across broadside 20 feet from us, my friend didn't even get a shot and I missed. The 410 shotgun was inside the house, lesson learned there. Saw a 12 gauge Mossburg today while looking/learning about night scopes for $550 and considered buying it.

Anyway, no luck yet. He doesn't seem to care for the bait I put out, which consists of a chicken covered with sardines. Meanwhile I have 2 litter boxes in my house and am counting the days until I find mouse scat indoors.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #192 on: October 19, 2019, 03:57:00 PM

And a second cat gone this year. Random was 22, so a good long run for a rescue. He was just worn out, kidney disease got him.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #193 on: October 19, 2019, 06:25:12 PM

Sorry to hear that, but let me just say 22?? god damn that is pretty old.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: October 20, 2019, 12:56:20 PM

22 is a helluva run for any pet - cat or dog.  Sorry for your loss, rattran.  Heartbreak

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #195 on: October 20, 2019, 02:03:41 PM

The official "world's oldest living cat" in 2014 was 24, so 22 is quite a life. Farewell Random, and well done cat and family.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #196 on: November 08, 2019, 12:18:17 PM

Fuck you, 2019. Dagmar had to be put down today, she was a little over 20. Her feline dementia had progressed to where she couldn't see, and stopped eating. 3 lost in under 6 months.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #197 on: November 08, 2019, 12:31:01 PM

Damn, man. Sorry about that.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: November 09, 2019, 09:19:05 PM

Heartbreak

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: January 03, 2020, 11:42:37 AM

We're trying to decide what to do about our 16-year old Boston terrier buddy. He's blind (he can sense light and darkness a bit) and deaf (unless there is a REALLY loud noise). He can still smell pretty well, he eats healthily, likes to go for a good walk. Mostly sleeps, gets very anxious if he thinks no one is home. He's having trouble standing up normally--he kind of locks his hind legs together like a mountain goat--and he's not metabolizing the food he puts away very well, so he looks somewhat skeletal despite eating quite a lot. It's really hard to know when his quality of life is low enough that it's not fair to keep him going, but we know it's coming soon.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #200 on: January 03, 2020, 07:35:49 PM

Hopefully you have a good vet to help guide you through. Both my oldsters looked like skeletons for their last few years, and one was entirely blind, but had decent quality of life until the end. Having a good vet to let us know when it was time helped.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #201 on: January 03, 2020, 08:48:40 PM

If he's not metabolizing food very well, make sure he's checked for diabetes. We almost lost Fluffy about 3 years ago for the same thing but with daily insulin shots, he seems to be doing ok. Of course, he got cataracts and thus went blind shortly after that and it's only the last 6 months or so when that's started to affect him. He's begun circling a lot for no reason whatsoever when we walk - which may be a sign of the onset of dementia. He'll be 14 this year so none of that would be a surprise. This is the last dog out of the 3 we've gotten since we haven't yet replaced Snow Beast. I've been hesitate to get another dog with him being blind and once I got laid off, I put it off until the job situation stabilizes.

Getting old sucks balls. Watching your pets do it just seems to come out of nowhere.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: January 04, 2020, 06:17:39 AM

Sorry about your cat rattran. I know how you're feeling. My 19 year old cat Stuart died the week before Christmas. He just got weaker and weaker until he couldn't even walk and he lost interest in food. I guess I had to do it but it's hard to lose a pet you've had for almost 20 years.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: January 05, 2020, 06:57:45 PM

Yeah, he circles a ton--he clearly has some form of mild dementia.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #204 on: January 07, 2020, 07:42:48 AM

I've stayed out of this thread since Bart passed, so I apologize for being remiss on a pile of condolences for you fine folks.

Here we are 3 1/2 years laster (!!) and it's still really hard on me. Lot of pressure from the old lady to get a new kitty around the house. I was probably ok with it last year, almost adopted two 5 mo old brothers over the xmas holiday but some cretin adopted ONE of them :( Still debating getting the other one because I feel bad for the lil dude, losing his brother like that.

Re: coyotes. We have 'em in my city, and they suck. Found a neighbor's cat in my next door neighbor's yard. Well, the front half. The old lady internet-sleuthed and found the owner two blocks over, and we went and shared the news to give them closure, it was fucking hell. The thing that pisses me off is a new neighbor lady with several cats was also at the scene and still lets her cats out.

I live in a school zone, so unfortunately the varmint rifle is not an option and I'm not practicing the bow just to kill varmints...yet...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: January 07, 2020, 08:50:23 AM

Bonus for previously mentioned remission on my part:

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #206 on: January 07, 2020, 10:56:46 AM

Coyote trapping is hard but might be the alternative to shooting. Trouble is possibly the cats, or other wildlife, but I'm not 100% convinced that a cat would be heavy enough to trigger a trap larger than 4".

I'm somewhat certain that coyotes are too smart to be caught in live traps but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: January 07, 2020, 11:13:33 AM

We've got too many chonk critters from the neighbors feeding off their back porch to do any trapping. One neighbor across the street tried trapping a fox (!?! I gave him a piece of my mind on that one), but karma kicked in and he got a skunk in his trap. We call it skunktown (skunks are what the neighbors are trying to feed, but everyone comes in for it, coons, fox, coyotes, etc).

Honestly none of them have really been a problem for me, aside from a few aromatic evenings when the youngin's who can't control their butts get too randy... And I do love my backyard zoo.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #208 on: January 07, 2020, 01:37:16 PM

It's only because the coyotes are eating the zoo that I'm engaged on this. The Cleanup Crew still comes around despite staff rotations but we are rather attached to the Rodent Patrol. Used to have a turkey family but haven't seen them for a few years now.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: January 09, 2020, 01:56:29 PM

Coyotes are basically too smart for live traps, yeah. You might get one every once in a while, but every other one in the area will learn to avoid the trap at that point.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Depressing Pet Death Thread  
Jump to: