Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:48:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Snagging space sample return with helicopters? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snagging space sample return with helicopters?  (Read 3079 times)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

on: April 06, 2004, 11:46:10 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/04/06/solar.booty/index.html

The article is somewhat confusing to me, I am not really sure what they plan to learn from this matrix of exotic materials exposed to solar radation/light.

The part that leaped out at me was the following:

To preserve the delicate solar particles in their matrix of gold, sapphire and diamond, specially trained helicopter pilots will snag the return capsule from mid-air using giant hooks. The flight crews for the two helicopters assigned for the capture and return of Genesis are former military aviators, Hollywood stunt pilots and an active-duty Air Force test pilot.

I had no idea we could do that.  I would have thought they would have crashed it into the ocean to recover it there.  Snagging it out of midair with helicopters???  I had no clue.

Have we done this sort of thing before?  Am I just way out of date?  Anyone know why they would do this experiment in the first place?
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 12:30:32 PM

They used to retrieve early spy satellite film canisters in a similar manner.  They would yoink them in mid-air using a cargo plane.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 12:38:25 PM

I am not really sure what they plan to learn from this matrix of exotic materials exposed to solar radation/light.

It isn't so much just exposing something to sunlight and see what happens - they are actually collecting the solar wind itself, to see what the Sun is vomiting into space.

Have we done this sort of thing before? Am I just way out of date?

Yeah, you're out of date - that's like 40+ year old technology.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 12:47:36 PM

Thank you, and apologies for being way out of date.  I suppose grabbing it on the way down with a parachute is easy.  For some stupid reason I had this image of them grabbing it at full speed and not lazily wafting to the ground with a parachute.  Total mental block there.

I took a double dose of stupid this morning I guess.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 01:08:42 PM

Some sci-fi authors have postulated that starships (or at least inter solar system ships) could travel using "solar sails" that collect and are driven on particles contained in the so-called "solar winds." Who knows? Maybe there's some super-duper rocket fuel in them thair winds.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 01:50:44 PM

That was more about the physical impact of the wind particles.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Snagging space sample return with helicopters?  
Jump to: