Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: New GW screenshots -- things of beauty 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New GW screenshots -- things of beauty  (Read 3255 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

on: February 05, 2005, 05:59:53 AM

Over the past couple of years I saw many discussions about the visual styles of EQ2 and WoW, comparisons of their engines, critiques of their art direction, or lack thereof, etc.

The game that really shines, to me, is Guild Wars. It has:

- a visual style all it's own -- a definite look and feel to characters and armor and settings
- a variety of zones with distinct differences between them
- silky smooth performance even on machines with cards as old as the GF3 Ti 200 (which I used as recently as last November to play in the GW Preview events)

They're still lacking in the spell effects dept. (I'm hoping most of the current effects are just placeholders.) And their camera controls aren't all that hot.

But overall, the bloom effect combined with stunning lighting and imaginative terrain and architecture just make me smile when I see screenshots like these.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 08:38:18 AM

I can only agree:  It seems they've taken the brilliant use of color/textures from WoW and put it in a better engine pushing more polygons.  Considering that it runs as well as it does, quite impressive.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 10:34:09 AM

The jungle island at the end of "Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow" looks a lot like the druid areas in GW (especially the mossy tree they cross).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: New GW screenshots -- things of beauty  
Jump to: