Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  (Read 250677 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:15 AM

I recognize rift for what it is, a good game that will sustain a healthy amount of subs for a long time but, it's not a great game. Hell I may even continue playing well past the free month but it's got its flaws.

I think the big question is "at what pace do the refine/improve things"?

I'm impressed with the level of polish and stability at launch.  There are certainly some annoyances but it seems like the core design and technology work well.  If they can start tidying up some of the issues upthread in various updates, they're going to make me very happy.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 05:18:23 AM

Copied from the "what went right" thread:

Mega-invasions/events.  I believe we had the 1st post-release ones during peak time tonite.  The devs opened the floodgates for a huge Life Invasion (whole map was green) + lvl 20 uber elite and 1 hr. later did it again a bit smaller.  By the end of the 2nd invasion, I had every bit of meaningful rare planar gear the zone gives you plus some lvl 20 stuff to open.   

After this, leveling became much easier and I also opened up the scholar's gear.

I agree with the quote, but the guy tanking the lvl 20 uber elites was a lvl 35.  In fact, there were a few upper level players hanging out, somewhat trivializing the invasion. 

If the rift mobs have gone grey con to you, then attacking them should spawn level appropriate mobs that attack only you and despawn if they kill you, or something. 
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 05:58:58 AM

That sounds horrible. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 06:12:10 AM

Here's a launch gripe... it appears that when they added the 20 +/- new servers for launch, they failed to offer a single new PvE RP server in that mix... now the 3 RP servers are completely full.

On to game Gripes:
1. Bag Management... wtf?  I hate this dinosaur design feature and this deserves sub-issues:
a. Limit size? Why?  Are we really in a bag-size arms race? against whom? You... the author of my fun?
b. Don't put quest shit I *must* have in order to play your game in my limited bag space.
c. If I have to manually find things in my bag, then make your icons OBVIOUS... colours, sparklies, anything for things like Artifacts, Quest initiators, etc.
i. The Fang of Epic Wolf quest starter should not look like the four other wolf teeth I have from trash or crafting materials.
d. Re: c above... don't make me manage my bags... Arkinventory from WoW is a good place to start.  Even WaR had shitty broken sorting for bags.

Kudos for the auto-sell trash feature... but aren't we beyond the animal organ harvesting feature?  If simple gold is too incongruous for wolves to drop... why not take a step forward and put all bloody bits in some sort of expandable hunters' game bag that I empty periodically at some macabre carbon recycler in town?  I would actually like this sort of "bonus" gold bounty hunter aspect - especially if I don't have to manage it in some sort of dusk-bat eye musical chair game with my inventory.

Similarly, if it is a quest item that I find, loot or surgically extract from a corpse... it has no business in my bags... it is a non-item, it is a digital counter - make it so.

Today's bagolomania rant brought to you by the letters R, F and T.  There are a couple of other small gripes I have, but I need to go sit in the corner for a little bit.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 06:21:01 AM

Copied from the "what went right" thread:

Mega-invasions/events.  I believe we had the 1st post-release ones during peak time tonite.  The devs opened the floodgates for a huge Life Invasion (whole map was green) + lvl 20 uber elite and 1 hr. later did it again a bit smaller.  By the end of the 2nd invasion, I had every bit of meaningful rare planar gear the zone gives you plus some lvl 20 stuff to open.   

After this, leveling became much easier and I also opened up the scholar's gear.

I agree with the quote, but the guy tanking the lvl 20 uber elites was a lvl 35.  In fact, there were a few upper level players hanging out, somewhat trivializing the invasion. 

If the rift mobs have gone grey con to you, then attacking them should spawn level appropriate mobs that attack only you and despawn if they kill you, or something. 

Invasions are some of the best way to farm planarite just because how fast it is and the quantity of invasions during those events.

You're going to have complaints either way.  It's either A) QQ not enough people in the low level zones to complete these events or B) The high level characters are helping me and now it's too easy!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 06:22:26 AM

Here's a launch gripe... it appears that when they added the 20 +/- new servers for launch, they failed to offer a single new PvE RP server in that mix... now the 3 RP servers are completely full.

On to game Gripes:
1. Bag Management... wtf?  I hate this dinosaur design feature and this deserves sub-issues:
a. Limit size? Why?  Are we really in a bag-size arms race? against whom? You... the author of my fun?
b. Don't put quest shit I *must* have in order to play your game in my limited bag space.
c. If I have to manually find things in my bag, then make your icons OBVIOUS... colours, sparklies, anything for things like Artifacts, Quest initiators, etc.
i. The Fang of Epic Wolf quest starter should not look like the four other wolf teeth I have from trash or crafting materials.
d. Re: c above... don't make me manage my bags... Arkinventory from WoW is a good place to start.  Even WaR had shitty broken sorting for bags.

Kudos for the auto-sell trash feature... but aren't we beyond the animal organ harvesting feature?  If simple gold is too incongruous for wolves to drop... why not take a step forward and put all bloody bits in some sort of expandable hunters' game bag that I empty periodically at some macabre carbon recycler in town?  I would actually like this sort of "bonus" gold bounty hunter aspect - especially if I don't have to manage it in some sort of dusk-bat eye musical chair game with my inventory.

Similarly, if it is a quest item that I find, loot or surgically extract from a corpse... it has no business in my bags... it is a non-item, it is a digital counter - make it so.

Today's bagolomania rant brought to you by the letters R, F and T.  There are a couple of other small gripes I have, but I need to go sit in the corner for a little bit.

Your inventory has a search function by the way. 
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 06:24:02 AM

Yes, I was aware of that... still does not alter my opinion of the design.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 07:04:25 AM

Invasions are some of the best way to farm planarite just because how fast it is and the quantity of invasions during those events.

You're going to have complaints either way.  It's either A) QQ not enough people in the low level zones to complete these events or B) The high level characters are helping me and now it's too easy!

The fact that there's only one leveling zone helps the newbie population.  I suspect that barring a full invasion, that a year from now there will be enough people rolling alts to support a thriving leveling community in each zone. 

Again, I do believe in a separation of levels - if a lvl 35 is finding faster planarite in a low level zone, then more of it needs to drop in his level appropriate zone.  There's better answers for this issue.  What about on PvP servers, having lvl 50s hanging out in the 20+ zones?  That seems to have potential for some extreme griefing. 
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 07:22:28 AM

The fact that there's only one leveling zone helps the newbie population.  I suspect that barring a full invasion, that a year from now there will be enough people rolling alts to support a thriving leveling community in each zone. 

Again, I do believe in a separation of levels - if a lvl 35 is finding faster planarite in a low level zone, then more of it needs to drop in his level appropriate zone.  There's better answers for this issue.  What about on PvP servers, having lvl 50s hanging out in the 20+ zones?  That seems to have potential for some extreme griefing. 

Personally, my runecrafter hangs out in level inappropriate zone invasions because I need that tier of greens to smash, and invasions give you shitloads (just stand around defending a wardstone)

For planarite, it's faster to do level appropriate invasions (while the 10-20 invasion gives you ~10-20 planarite a wave, the 20-25ish one gives 50ish/wave) but at some levels there aren't enough other people to defend against invasions. On the other server I outleveled people on, we had maybe 10 level 30s and the zone kept spawning invasions because the defiants had enough people around to deal with them. But the guardians were basically just playing a last stand game at their wardstone whenever they happened.

As for pvp servers: lol world pvp? Personally, I've always been of the opinion that if you attack a grey(not they attack you and you defend), you should lose whatever version of pvp points the game has. But nothing like that will ever happen because every time they put in lowbie protection on a pvp server, there's a fifty page bitching thread about how not only should you be able to hang out in Silver Landing as a 50 Assassin, there should also be full corpse looting and YOU CAREBEARS NEED TO GET OFF PVP SERVERS.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 07:35:41 AM

<snipes snipped>
...manage it in some sort of dusk-bat eye musical chair game with my inventory.

Just say you don't like the inventory management mini-game and be done with it. Seriously. Managing inventory is just one of the time sinks in many MMOs and it makes you feel like you're "doing something" when you touch all your "pixel loot". I am not kidding you -- there are people to whom this appeals (I reference the TV show Hoarders in case you're wondering about the illness/mentality I'm referring to). Getting trash loot also appeals to the whole "slot machine" effect -- awwww, I pulled the lever (or pressed the button) and got bupkus, or YAY I got cool drop! If you eliminate the trash drop, it removes that stupid human need to feel we got a "response" from the system -- that something we did (looting) yielded something tangible (even if it takes up room in our inventory).  And when your bags are full and you have to go back to town -- guess what? -- you just created your own dynamic content by creating your own personal quest! The reward is an emptier bag.

I, for one, would love to see a return to bags with very specific size limits, and also weigh limits on how much you can carry. Why is the weakling mage carrying around 600 pounds of looted armor in his burlap pouch? By eliminating the basic "realism" of loot space/weight, you also eliminate interesting game solutions (crafters create a "bag of holding" or mage has a floating disk spell or warrior hires 2 porters to lug around his stuff, or adds saddlebags to the mount, etc. etc.).

But since RIFT doesn't appear to be about such trivial stuff -- we've got planar invasions to fight after all -- then I agree that making all of the looting aspect of the game as streamlined as possible would be a very good thing. Planarite, for example, should just automatically go to your currency the way gold does. When my bags are full and I open my reward list, I have to click the Planarite icon to move it to my currency tab -- seems to be an artifact of the system prior to the currency tab, when Planarite occupied space in your bags.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 07:44:12 AM

Having the lower level mobs aggro is certainly irritating, but I can see a small benefit-  it makes it less likely that a high level will easily jet around and get all the crafting nodes, thereby allowing a lower level to grab some of the stuff.  The nodes in this game do respawn pretty quickly, but fighting with higher levels for low level nodes was always something that irritated me about WoW
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:22 AM

Your inventory has a search function by the way. 
Inventory search function is only useful if you know the actual name what you want.  It doesn't really work so well for 'that thingy I picked up from that named guy I killed a while back'.

I don't have much experience with ArkInventory, but I can say that the Baggins addon in WoW is exactly what I would like from a default inventory system.  Customizable virtual 'bags' that have a number of default categories such as 'weapons', 'armor', 'consumables', 'trash', and a category for each tradeskill, and then you can create entirely new categories of your choosing and include items by type and individually, as well as exclude them from other categories based on varying criteria, such that, for instance, anything you add to an equipment set doesn't appear in the default 'armor' category.

I really wish this game had some kind of UI customization available.  I admit I do not like the extent that some WoW addons can go, but there really needs to be a middle ground between how open WoW's addons are and 'no addons, ever!'

Speaking of which, one of my top gripes is the auction house.  It doesn't include even basic features of the most common and popular auction house addons for WoW, you'd think this would have been one of the main things they'd look at when designing this inventory - 'what AH addons are popular and what are the basic features we should add?'  A price history on items, as well as automatically searching for any item I try to sell and showing me current auctions and price history would be nice, like Auctionator and Auctioneer both do.  As it is I have to manually search each item I want to sell, then go over to the sell screen to sell it.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:47 AM

My gripe is armor.  My Heavy Leather brigantine is the exact same style as the one I crafted out of Soft Leather when I was level 12 or whatever.

Now, my first blue chest piece was a sexy little number, but once I outleveled it, it's back to looking like a schoolmarm.

The higher level armors could use some spiffing up, for rogues at least.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 09:05:45 AM

it's back to looking like a schoolmarm.

Hehe. Have you experimented with the dyes to maybe get a spiffier look?
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 09:17:52 AM

Soul recall should let you port to ANY portal once an hour. Click it, get the portal interface and away you go. There's no point in binding to any specific portal, since there's no transportation time between portals themselves (except loading screens.)

Maybe later there'll be binding points but no portals, but that's stupid in any case.

That's a really good point, actually.  It didn't occur to me because I'm so used to the binding process from other MMOs, but you're right.  Once you couple the bind spots and fast transport spots... might as well just make the "recall" ability just a portable fast transport.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 09:40:51 AM

My gripe is armor.  My Heavy Leather brigantine is the exact same style as the one I crafted out of Soft Leather when I was level 12 or whatever.

Now, my first blue chest piece was a sexy little number, but once I outleveled it, it's back to looking like a schoolmarm.

This. I haven't seen any leather armour that looks really cool. Admittedly I'm only level 17 but even the higher level characters I've seen don't sport really neat armour. More armour!

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 09:53:47 AM

I like the trench coat looking leather armor, it feels like what an assassin should look like.

I am the .00000001428%
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:18 AM

<snipes snipped>
...manage it in some sort of dusk-bat eye musical chair game with my inventory.
Getting trash loot also appeals to the whole "slot machine" effect -- awwww, I pulled the lever (or pressed the button) and got bupkus, or YAY I got cool drop! If you eliminate the trash drop, it removes that stupid human need to feel we got a "response" from the system -- that something we did (looting) yielded something tangible (even if it takes up room in our inventory).  And when your bags are full and you have to go back to town -- guess what? -- you just created your own dynamic content by creating your own personal quest! The reward is an emptier bag.

That's rather my point with the Hunter's Game Bag concept... I'm all for random loot and a *real* slot-machine effect -- a little ding and a cool gold icon of the rare spider pituitary prized by businessmen throughout Telara for its erectile disfunction benefits that I could sell for the price of a new mount -- would be awesome... It should just never go in my Inventory bags.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 12:13:00 PM

This. I haven't seen any leather armour that looks really cool. Admittedly I'm only level 17 but even the higher level characters I've seen don't sport really neat armour. More armour!
There's a low level Defiant questing set that I like the look of.  But with no appearance tab, it's wasted since you get the last piece around the time you're wanting to replace the rest of it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 12:16:24 PM

I'm honestly surprised that the thread for this is that long.  I've found very little to complain about yet, and it has been by far the best MMO release I've experienced (did not play MMOs much until year 2 WoW).  So far Rift has been a raging success, in my opinion.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 12:18:54 PM

Unfortunately leather armor doesn't ever really look great.  Except for some of the models you can see for the raid gear from the vendors.

Plate and chain look amazing though.  A lot of the cloth does too.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 02:43:44 PM

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 03:25:01 PM

At this point in the development of MMO's, every game should have an appearance tab.  I want to be a special snowflake, damnit!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 03:56:32 PM

At least we get armor dyes, which are a decent compromise.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:09 PM

At least we get armor dyes, which are a decent compromise.

Not when every piece of leather armor looks like some kind of padded fire-proof trenchcoat!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:56 PM

For flashers who are pyrophobic?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 03, 2011, 12:02:27 AM

I'm somewhat annoyed by the gear icons that look nothing like the gear models.  I got some shiny new pants that looked neat in the icon and the model is a thong.  Glorious.  What if I don't want my butt hanging out for the world to see? ^^
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011, 08:31:01 AM

Really worried that in the end there's gonna be four looks (plate wearer)(chain wearer)(leather wearer)(cloth wearer)

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 03, 2011, 09:02:58 AM

Really worried that in the end there's gonna be four looks (plate wearer)(chain wearer)(leather wearer)(cloth wearer)

This and the way people are working the rift participation mechanism are both very disappointing.  I guess we'll see what Trion is made of in the coming weeks as they begin to patch exploit holes and develop content.  I wonder how possible it will be to do both simultaneously. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 03, 2011, 10:03:42 AM

I'm honestly surprised that the thread for this is that long.  I've found very little to complain about yet, and it has been by far the best MMO release I've experienced (did not play MMOs much until year 2 WoW).  So far Rift has been a raging success, in my opinion.

Well, look at what people are griping about. There's a lot of "I hate getting knocked off my horse by gray mobs" and "I wish the armor in this game looked cooler". If I worked for Trion, this is exactly what I'd want to see in a complaint thread, as opposed to "I ran out of things to do at level 15" or "half of my talent tree is unfinished/broken skills".

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15:43 AM

Well, look at what people are griping about. There's a lot of "I hate getting knocked off my horse by gray mobs" and "I wish the armor in this game looked cooler". If I worked for Trion, this is exactly what I'd want to see in a complaint thread, as opposed to "I ran out of things to do at level 15" or "half of my talent tree is unfinished/broken skills".

This. Just read the "Cracks starting to show" thread on the wow forums for comparison, nobody here is complaining that the game is going in the wrong direction or the devs have no idea what makes their game good.

I am the .00000001428%
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 10:47:08 AM

Indeed -- most of the gripes are highly fixable and without requiring fundamental architectural changes.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 03, 2011, 10:58:26 AM

Lack of guild bank
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 02:30:24 PM

Yeah, the no guild bank is actually pretty irksome.  I have bags of artifacts I need to chuck I don't wanna AH them...

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 03, 2011, 03:42:34 PM

I guess we'll see what Trion is made of in the coming weeks as they begin to patch exploit holes and develop content.  I wonder how possible it will be to do both simultaneously. 

Late last night they turned off Runecrafting to correct an exploit, without having to restart the servers.  It doesn't necessarily mean they'll be as on the ball with fixing exploits, and so on, down the road, but I was actually impressed that they were able to do so without a restart, let alone 4+ hours of downtime, or worse.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:52:55 AM by Cadaverine »

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  
Jump to: