Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: MBS/SOM drafting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MBS/SOM drafting  (Read 3542 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

on: February 28, 2011, 08:51:56 AM

What do people think of the format so far? I still feel like I'm making bad picks in MBS and I'm not sure if I should do some 3xMBS drafts to figure it out or if that would only confound my pick orders further.

-I've yet to go infect in the new format, though I've been looking to (loved infect in 3xSOM).
-I find myself in Green way too often and usually it works better when the Green is a splash for mana accel and Fangren Marauder.
-You need to watch out for clunky mana curves a lot more than you did in all Scars, feels like there are a lot more double color casting cost cards.
-White is still good but its really hard to read how open it is in the MBS pack and the white MBS bombs are so fucking retarded that you really can't tell who is just in White no matter the signals thanks to a Kuldotha Rebirth. This has led to me almost never drafting white, which sucks because I loved it in triple SOM and W/B is maybe the strongest archetype now with the addition of more bounce tricks and two new flyers at common.

Also anyone wanna trade a couple packs of SOM for MBS? If so pm me here, could use having a normal human being as a trade partner for little rinky dink trades like that and selling Zeniths at market value to bots sucks as well.

I've yet to rip a good mythic so I'm fucking strapped for tix currently. Annoying.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:35:56 PM

I've not been playing MTGO for a while, but maybe with my Blood Bowl season over I will pick it back up. The format is SOM/SOM/MBS I assume? If we accept as a given that there are nasty whte bombs possible in the 3rd pack I would be all over getting into white in the 2 SOM packs (if it is open of course), rather than avoiding it. I don't know enough about the new set to say much though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:30:29 PM

They flipped the order, so it goes MBS/SOM/SOM.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:59 PM

The bombtastic nature of 3xMBS has really been bumming me out.  My style of play is a control style (slow accrual of advantages, win), and that style just sucks when one card can show up and wreck your day. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:10:38 PM

Yeah I have no desire to play MBS x3. I'm not surprised to hear its very bomby. There are enough cards that just win games instantly in that set that I have no desire to open more packs of it.

-William Gibson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:39:47 AM

Its crazy how much the one pack of MBS has changed things. The only decks that came through unscathed that I still see every draft from the 3xSOM era are Dinos (G/x and often G/R) Infect & U/W Tempo/Control/Skies I think the U/W decks have really gotten strong, I hear people say that Dinos/Fatties is the best archetype but I think that it still loses to infect that curves out (ichorclaw/plague stinger into cyst bearer into anything is still pretty hard to beat), struggles against infect that has a grind you out plan and it also has a bad matchup against a U/W deck that has bounce. Playing 6-8 mana dudes is bad when you opponent has 6+ cards that can put them back in your hand and when he isn't doing that he's using control magic to steal them from you.

I still think white is the strongest color and I personally still enjoy playing with black cards the most. I've still yet to not final table when I get Carnifex Demon (3 for 3) because black is so good if you actually have a bomb but sadly only Zenith and Carnifex Demon qualify.

I played against a Red deck that went off with ichor wellspring x2 with the sac outlets to draw 4 cards and I still beat him so that plan may just not be good enough if you don't have a bomb to draw into and win the game with. This guy didn't seem to I beat him in game 3 when he had 6 cards left in his library.

-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: MBS/SOM drafting  
Jump to: