Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:58:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift and Ventrilo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift and Ventrilo  (Read 4461 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

on: February 25, 2011, 06:24:43 AM

Had an odd thing happen last night playing Rift: I was getting lag in ventrilo.  I thought I'd ask the tech gurus here for a suggestion.  I was chatting with two friends and then noted that there would be a few minutes of silence followed by about 2 minutes of old talk while my processor caught up. 

Can I resolve this by a) turning down the settings in Rift and/or giving Vent a higher priority in processor use? 

Thanks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:53:40 AM

I had this problem in WoW once. No idea what the deal is but I think you can force it to catch up by tapping your push-to-talk key.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:14 AM

I have had this happen in vent, but it didn't have anything to do with my machine - the vent service was having issues.  Check the "ping" number in the vent client to see if there is some problem with your comm with the vent server (if everyone is having issues, and not just you, it's likely an issue with the vent server, but what you described sounds like it was a you-only issue).  It's not your cpu that needs to catch up, it's the vent server holding on to the conversation until it can give you the whole stream.

Course, it could be that the Rift client is chatty and the Rift game was flooding your adapter.  This is sometimes the case when a client starts frequently losing sync with the server and it starts broadcasting more to try to catch up - seems like most newer MMOs have fixed this, but since Rift is a new engine (I think?), maybe it still has some kinks to work out of the netcode.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:52:06 AM

Check the "ping" number in the vent client to see if there is some problem with your comm with the vent server (if everyone is having issues, and not just you, it's likely an issue with the vent server, but what you described sounds like it was a you-only issue).  It's not your cpu that needs to catch up, it's the vent server holding on to the conversation until it can give you the whole stream.

Course, it could be that the Rift client is chatty and the Rift game was flooding your adapter.  This is sometimes the case when a client starts frequently losing sync with the server and it starts broadcasting more to try to catch up - seems like most newer MMOs have fixed this, but since Rift is a new engine (I think?), maybe it still has some kinks to work out of the netcode.

Both excellent ideas.  My ping has been a steady 57 (I assume ms), so it may be the latter suggestion.  I'm not sure what I can do to alter traffic to give vent some priority. 

FWIW, Skype works flawlessly while vent is problematic.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:50 PM

Had an odd thing happen last night playing Rift: I was getting lag in ventrilo.  I thought I'd ask the tech gurus here for a suggestion.  I was chatting with two friends and then noted that there would be a few minutes of silence followed by about 2 minutes of old talk while my processor caught up. 

Can I resolve this by a) turning down the settings in Rift and/or giving Vent a higher priority in processor use? 

Thanks.

Do you already run vent as admin? I had problems with it and WoW if I didn't do this.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:05:54 PM

That may be the problem.  I don't think that I ever set my status as the administrator. 

You may have fixed my problem. 

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift and Ventrilo  
Jump to: