Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: How to not suck, completely, at Skaven: A Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to not suck, completely, at Skaven: A Guide  (Read 22262 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

on: February 09, 2011, 06:15:23 PM

I've played Skaven for a bit now and I am pretentious enough to share some 'wisdom' I have picked up from doing so for those of you who want to give the rats a run at some point. I am not perfect in any way but hopefully something I say here will be helpful.

I'm not going to talk general strategy much but keep it implicit in my discussion of the players you have, but I will start with a couple of points as to what I think the appeal of Skaven is. I'm going to keep it biased so it isn't just a general guide that you can read anywhere.

Why Play Skaven?

Skaven are fun because they are able to do some things that other teams can't do without a whole heap of luck with skill rolls. There are two reasons. The first speed. Skaven are the fastest team in the game, with seven speed on most of their players and access to the Gutter Runner, the fastest (and possibly the best) player in the game. The second is mutation access. Speed gives you the ability to score quickly, almost at will, but also the flexibility to do it in more than one way as you switch between pure running and a short passing and running game. Mutation access gives you the ability to attack and defend in ways that most teams cannot, and also don't expect and know how to handle, which is fun. You can build one turn scorers, impossible to move defenders, and Chaos level killers... if you don't die first.

Why Not Play Skaven?

Your players will die. You will never win a fight unless you are recklessly lucky, and you will be at the mercy of nuffle if you try to play with the flair and creativity that makes Blood Bowl fun.  You will rarely, if ever, finish a match without at least a few players on the sidelines.

Linerats

Linerats are great. They are cheap, have 7 movement, and with general access with everything on a double and with a three strength and agility can grow in really fun ways with a few lucky skill rolls. You will play them on the line unless they become something special, and they have 7 av, so they will die or get maimed to retirement often, but they are disposable enough for this not to matter. Once your side is developed you will want about 5-6 linerats I would suggest. They are cheap and a bench of two or three is a good number for Skaven, depending on the league.

I play my linerats with wrestle because it takes their bigger opponents down in to TZ-less territory and opens up fouling possibilities. It also gives them the ability to mark their attacker on their turn, or move with ease to where you need them instead. In an ideal world you won't blitz with a linerat, and you wont be building them to take down carriers, but having wrestle on a few does open up your options if you are forced to (and if you get unlucky with armor/injury rolls, you will be forced to). Because of this and their role as player markers I would often give one or two of them tackle as a second skill. This makes life a bit more annoying for those who would dodge away, and gives you a 50% chance of taking the other player to the ground on a one dice block.

Linerat
Skills: Wrestle, Tackle
Doubles: Dodge

You will need a player on your side that has kick. Some like to take it on a linerat. I have done so in the past, but I am beginning to think otherwise about it. Because of the low av you don't want anything you need to have alive, and your kicker is very much that, sitting anywhere he will get hurt. But a linerat that isn't marking another player is often a wasted linerat. If you do go for a linerat kicker give him dodge and block to keep him up and alive, and use him in less chancy situations and as an assist.

Kicker
Skills: Kick, Block

If you get doubles or stat increases early then everything changes. I wouldn't take +mv or +av as a first skillup but agility and strength are very different. +Str and this guy just became someone you never sit on the defensive line. Give him block and pray for more doubles. You aren't anywhere near a bashy team, but with a Rat Ogre and two strength access Blitzers you can hurt a side. Any +str linerat is only going to help and you will want to build him to do so. Mighty Blow and Claw become doubles options, depending on your league. With +agi you can go for something defensive like pass block and extra arms (if lucky).

Defender
Skills: Pass Block, Block, Diving Tackle
Doubles: Extra Arms,
Stat: +AGI

Bruiser
Skills: Block, Tackle
Doubles: Mighty Blow, Claw
Stat: +STR

If you're fielding a deep bench (which you most likely will) you should consider a fouling player. With wrestle you will get players down, and having someone to take advantage will be useful. I have started playing one recently in a new team and they can really really make a difference. Unless you have Sneaky Git don't foul unless you have a good number of assists. In fact I would suggest not getting sneaky git at all most of the times, as you can probably do better things with a double. The only exception is if your fouling player get MVPed up to level two and you roll a double. You don't want him to get too many skills and bloat, so if you keep getting skills you'll need to decide if you want to dump him from the side.

Fouler
Skills: Dirty Player
Doubles: Sneaky Git

Blitzers

These guys can make the difference between a good team and a great one. A skilled blitzer takes pressure off the Gutter Runners and allows you to trim the other side. Blitzers have 8 av and Block ahead of a linerat, but they also have strength access. Given this I see no reason to build Skaven blitzers any way but with this in mind. You should get Guard and Mighty Blow. These guys will hit where it will hurt and need to be able to take advantage and lend support. Of general skills you need to get tackle. I see no reason to get strip ball on a blitzer at all. With only 3 AGI you don't want them dodging about unless you have to so a tricky run at a carrier is best done with others. They can hit the ball carrier if they get the shot, but often they will be taking out receivers or screeners and strip ball is useless there. Not to mention many carriers have sure hands. Claw is a good choice on doubles if the league is a heavy one, but otherwise I would lean towards dodge, or side step. Dodge keeps them up, and does give you the movement if you need to take the chance.

I used to say not to get piling on, as you do not want to let anyone have a free hit at him on the ground, but I am reconsidering this at the moment. His role is to hurt the other side and try give you a player advantage/keep you level and in certain situations this is really useful. However I would only go this route if you have got a few skills on him already. Hit skinks and goblins, ghoul, catchers and etc. Take pretty much any stat increase you get.

Blitzer
Skills: MBlow, Guard, Tackle
Doubles: Dodge, Side Step/Claw
Stat: +STR, AGI, MV/AV

Throwers

Throwers are the best choice for your kick player. They sit back and don't get hit a lot. They can do something useful when they aren't kicking, and you can have two of them. Play one defensive with kick and one more offensive with throwing skills. You should get the two eventually, but I'd only start a team with one. Both should get block. The thrower should go for accurate and safe throw with strong arm if you find yourself playing a longer passing game, otherwise take leader, accurate and dodge (if you get +AGI first don't get accurate). On the defender you want to play higher up the pitch, screening catchers, hoping to make intercepts and going for handoffs and quick passes. Taking extra arms on one allows you to get more balls in tacklezones as well as receive the handoff from at 2+ and should be taken on the other thrower. Don't take sure feet. It gives you some safer movement, but I'm not a big fan of using GFIs unless it is absolutely necessary, and it rarely is. +AGI is of course always great, and +MV can be very handy, but I don't know if I would go all out for +STR if I already had a developed long Thrower. I'd always take it early on and adjust though.

Ball Carrier Thrower
Skills: Block, Accurate, Leader
Stat: +STR, AGI, MV

Long Thrower
Skills: Accurate, Block, Safe Throw
Doubles: Strong Arm
Stat: +AGI

High/Defensive Thrower
Skills: Kick, Block, Accurate
Doubles: Extra Arms, Dodge/Pass Block
Stat: +STR, AGI, MV

Rat Ogre

I used to be in the Rat Ogre camp, but now I am sitting on the fence. It comes down to how you want to play your side, and I can see good reasons for both. The Rat Ogre can be very frustrating, but he can win you games. You just have to use him very very carefully, otherwise he is a liability. I would probably suggest that new players don't actually use one (or play Skaven, tbh).

The only thing that determines how you build your Ogre is how many doubles you get. Unless you are lucky enough to get one every skillup, then you have to consider if Claw is worth it. I would take Block first if you get the double, otherwise get Break Tackle. If you second roll is a double get block then, otherwise get Juggernaught or hold out hope and go for Stand Firm (In a short competition I wouldn't hold out past the second skill for block.). I wouldn't get Juggernaught and Block on the same Ogre, so if you're not lucky with an early block take Pro with any double.

The Rat Ogre does two things. It blitzes and it ties up players. With MBlow and 5 strength it can hurt the other side, but it can also tie them up with its tail. Block makes him safer, Juggernaught lets him move the other team around and helps cover no block on blitzes, while Break Tackle turns him in to someone who can smash into a cage if you really need it, or slip a marker holding them where you don't want them to be (especially if you get dodge). Pro is great because you can reroll double pushes (every turn) and get more knockdowns in, as well as those wild animal rolls or failed dodges. Stand firm is a later choice that will save him from going over the edge after a frenzy of his own, while guard helps if you use him as a heavy marker. I wouldn't take any stat increases as only strength is useful, and a double much more so.

Lucky Ogre
Skills: Break Tackle, Stand Firm, Guard
Doubles: Block, Pro, Dodge

Unlucky Ogre
Skills: Juggernaught, Break Tackle, Stand Firm, Guard
Doubles: Pro, Dodge

Gutter Runners

These guys are the super stars. They score nearly everything and win the games. You want to have three types in general. A Big Hand guy, two ball chasers and one defensive marker. I like to have two with Block and two with Wrestle. The ball chasers want wrestle, but unless you get your double early I would split them half and half and then adjust once Big Hand comes in. The first double you get goes to Big Hand. No ifs buts or anythings. Big Hand (especially with Leap) can do amazing things. If the ball is loose and you have a reroll you have a better than good chance of both getting it and getting it out. Which often means you have a better than good chance of scoring that very turn or the next. On your ball hunters you probably want to have one with Strip Ball and one with Tackle. They get the ball free on defence and provide assists and punch holes on offence. Never get horns. You can do better with a double and dauntless is better 95 times out of 100 anyway as it works on normal blocks and can take down 4 strength guys without an assist. You final GR will develop into a defensive marking player with Diving Tackle or Shadowing. This one you want to have Block and Side Step, and they will often be your scorer, along with your other Block GR.

The Ball is Mine Runner
Skills: Leap, Block, NoS, Side Step
Doubles: Big Hand, Guard
Stat: No +AV

The Impossible Steal Runner
Skills: Wrestle, Strip Ball, Dauntless, Side Step, Leap
Doubles: Guard

The Surprise Hitman Runner 2
Skills: Wrestle, Tackle, Dauntless, Side Step
Doubles: Mighty Blow, Guard

Superstar Scorer/Even Better Defender Runner

Skills: Block, Side Step, Shadowing, Tackle
Doubles: Guard, Foul Appearance/MBlow

Starting Rosters

Full Gutter Runners

I used to favour a starting lineup with all the Gutter Runners, as they are you best players. This has some merits, and can give you a solid team. The problem with this lineup is that the Gutter Runners make you team a bit weaker, with four two strength players, and they will dominate all your touchdowns and get all the points. However they will give you much more options to score and can make you a harder team to defeat.

It is perhaps a better way to go if you plan to add a Rat Ogre in the future, as you don't need to save up for much other than him.

1 Thrower
2 Blitzer
4 Gutter Runner
4 Lineman

3 Rerolls
1 Apothecary [dropping the Apothecary for another Lineman is an option, though a risk]

Slow Buildup

A more measured approach can be to halve your Gutter Runners and give more room for the other players to shine. This is a good option because it allows you to play a stronger team from the start. Even when you have four decent Gutter Runners you might not want to play them all (I think two on the pitch is a good number, which this allows). This allows you to get your second Thrower early, and increases your chances of getting skill points on your other players. Given you can level any MVP with a short pass this is a good option to skill up the other players in the team early - Gutter Runner never struggle to get skills. This also mean you can drop the apothecary for a bench player with less risk, and have 40k in the bank to ensure you get it after your first game.

This is perhaps a better way to start if you have no intention of getting a Rat Ogre, as you throw all your savings at the Gutter Runners.

2 Thrower
2 Blitzer
2 Gutter Runner
5 Lineman

3 Rerolls
1 Apothecary [dropping the Apothecary for another Lineman is again an option, and much less of a risk]
40,000 in the treasury.

Rat Ogre Roster

I'd never really start with a Rat Ogre, but if you do want to, I would go as follows. Don't get the apothecary; I figure if you're going to run the risk on the big guy you should take the reroll and just hope no-one gets maimed in your first game. You will need that re-roll, and saving up the extra 60k for it would really cut in to your roster development.

1 Rat Ogre
1 Thrower
2 Blitzer
2 Gutter Runner
5 Lineman

3 Reroll
10,000 in the treasury.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:27:51 AM by lamaros »
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:52:27 PM

My Skaven teams really like to die. I have a 6-0 team in Auld that still cannot field a full eleven.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:08:07 AM

My Juggernaught, Pro, Break Tackle Rat Ogre just died.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:34:42 AM

Good writeup this.  It made me think of a couple of things on my own Skitterers.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 06:30:46 AM

Good writeup this.  It made me think of a couple of things on my own Skitterers.

Thanks for the comment, good to know it was worth putting up.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:31:13 AM

No, it really was and I think for a BB subforum there's not enough of these.  I'd like to see more for more races from people I trust.  I sometimes just pick skills randomly and I never think about role.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:23:30 PM

Try poking around this site: http://bbtactics.com/strategy/races/

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:31:22 PM

Oh, I have.  I just like to hear it from people I like.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 02:45:58 PM

Skaven are very fun to play but be prepared for some frustrating matches due to their fragile nature.  Thats why I prefer lizardmen.  Skinks are even more fragile than gutterrunners but with a full Saurus/Kroxigor lineup you can protect them fairly well.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:03:37 PM

I actually prefer Skaven to the Lizards. The lack of block on the team to start with was really frustrating.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 09:34:47 PM

I just love the mutation access.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 06:20:48 AM

Yeah.

Strangely, it was only recently I fully understood the power of this, simply due to getting shite rolls all the time.

Talpidae
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 05:06:32 AM

On a related note :

Just realised this chap must have rolled nowt but Doubles.  That's rather nifty.

"LOOK HOW CLEVER ARE MY BALLS!" - Steven Moffat.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:27:16 PM

Updated the original guide a little bit. Included my reconsiderations about the Rat Ogre and Piling On, and put in some starting rosters.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:19 AM

After having played with a thrower and watched him die, I can't say I'd suggest a Skaven thrower. Gutter runners are just as good if not better at throwing even without the skills.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 09:47:22 AM

Gutter Runners are wasted as throwers. A thrower has sure hands, which is priceless, and pass, which is nearly priceless. It can get accurate easily, and becomes just as good as a GR for everything you need, without using rerolls, if you get extra arms as well.

A base thrower will pick up the ball 89% of the time (97% with extra arms). A GR will do it 83%.
A base thrower will make a short pass 89% of the time (97% with accurate). A GR will do it 83% of the time.

Sure hands and Block and 3 STR means the thrower is a safer set of hands to hold the ball behind a screen. (If you get doubles and dodge even better).

The trick to the thrower is not to think like an Elf. Skaven play a running game: the thrower doesn't make passes, he holds the ball and then makes a short pass or a handoff to a GR. With 7 mv from the thrower, a short pass, then 9 MV from a GR, a handoff, 9 MV from a second GR you're looking at 27 squares moved. The rolls are 97%, 83%, 83%. With a reroll that's 97%, 97% (83%), 83% (97%). Normally you only need the handoff, though.

Meanwhile a thrower holding the ball deep means you have GRs doing what they do best where they are needed, not stuck out of the action holding the ball. With block and kick a thrower also has a role to play when defending.

GRs are almost the best players in the game. Don't waste them holding the ball. You might not like to play with two throwers like I do, but you should have one.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:21:53 AM by lamaros »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 10:44:28 AM

Sure hands is a really important skill, it is hard for me to see a team where you don't want it on someone, and having pass with agility 4 targets makes it that much better. Add in leader access and you're talking about a very handy piece.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Strazos

Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 11:03:51 AM

Heh, partway through 4 seasons, and I still don't have a sure-hands player.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I guess I just use my rerolls, since my blocking game is normally pretty steady.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 11:11:50 AM

Like I said, I've played a number of games with a Skaven thrower and he was TERRIBLE. He had about a 50% pickup rate and his passing was just about as bad. At the stage my Skaven team is on, I'd rather get more linerats to fill out the soon-to-be dead ones than spend that extra 20k on a thrower.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 02:21:19 PM

Throwers are for leader, my feeder league throwers (I seem to have been through about 4) seem completely unable to throw the ball, the only way it doesn't result in a turnover is if he gets some freak success on the inaccurate pass landing in the hands of another player.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 06:32:46 PM

Like I said, I've played a number of games with a Skaven thrower and he was TERRIBLE. He had about a 50% pickup rate and his passing was just about as bad. At the stage my Skaven team is on, I'd rather get more linerats to fill out the soon-to-be dead ones than spend that extra 20k on a thrower.

You're arguing with maths?

I understand the frustration, but a thrower will help you win more games than a linerat.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 07:18:11 PM

You're arguing with maths?

I understand the frustration, but a thrower will help you win more games than a linerat.

Thowers have Sure hands with 3 agility which gives you 1/9 chance of failure - ~11%

A Gutter Runner picks up with a Team Reroll at 1/36 - ~2% chance of failure.

The only problem is it costs you Team rerolls.

And when you say sure hands is priceless, it's not. You say Skaven thower with accurate becomes just as good as GR, but it really depends on how you play with throwers.

Gutter Runner with Sure hands (with a Team Reroll) > Thrower with Accurate (Both levelled with 1 skill)

So I understand Haemish's opinion and he's not arguing with Math rather a style of play

Edit: Reading is hard. Sorry Ingmar

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:29:27 PM by Llyse »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:46 PM

I didn't say anything about accurate, I was talking about Pass.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 07:36:55 PM

I'm arguing with my gut.  awesome, for real My thrower lasted I think 4 games before dying. I'm not lying when I say his pick ups were atrocious, and his passing not much better. Over time, that would probably average out.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 07:40:52 PM

So I understand Haemish's opinion and he's not arguing with Math rather a style of play.

Saying that the thrower can't do the job because "He had about a 50% pickup rate and his passing was just about as bad" is like saying a High Elf thrower is bad because it rolled double 1s then died.

Saying you're not playing a thrower because you're going to build a GR to do it is bad for entirely different reasons: you're either blowing team rerolls on them or skillups, and you're depriving yourself of the chance to play FOUR awesome GRs rather than only three and a thrower.

Say you have a side of 13 players. Give each player two (normal) skills. My best teams would be something like:

Thrower: Accurate, Block/Leader
Thrower: Block, Kick
Rat Ogre: Juggernaught, Break Tackle
GR: Block, Side Step
GR: Wrestle, Dauntless
Blitzer: Guard, Mighty Blow
Blitzer: Guard, Tackle
Linerat: Wrestle, Tackle
Linerat: Block, Tackle

Or:

Rat Ogre: Juggernaught, Break Tackle
GR: Block, Sure Hands
Blitzer: Guard, Mighty Blow
Blitzer: Guard, Tackle
Linerat: Block, Kick
Linerat: Block, Tackle

It is a difference of 40TV at best (+1RR if you go leader). The second if these sides is severely limited in my view, as you have much less flexibility in what you players can do. This has a big impact in a game, but it has an even bigger impact once you consider KOs, Injuries, MNGs and the like. When you have six players who can pick up the ball you are more dangerous than when you have four. When two of your players who can pick up the ball go down having four versus two is even better. When you are MNG one already (which is not unlikely with Skaven) and then lose two it means your sole GR is on the ball (who then will score?), while the other side still has two GRs running free.

A thrower with block is 90k. A GR with block and sure hands is 120k. Skaven throwers with block are better ball carriers than GRs. They handoff the same, which is what you do most of the time, short pass better unless you burn a RR (and then it's only a matter of 8%) and they have 1 more strength. They free up your GRs to assist and threaten down field on offence, and give them extra backup to mark on defense.
Strazos

Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 07:54:28 PM

I may not necessarily agree with his opinions on Norse, but lamaros is right on this one.

Fear the Backstab!
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 08:02:57 PM

Also the Thrower model is at least 75% more awesome-looking than a regular linerat.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 08:04:49 PM

Also the Thrower model is at least 75% more awesome-looking than a regular linerat.

He's also 50% more likelier to die  why so serious?

I actually completely agree with Lamaros as well but I've seen some teams where they'll give Catch to GRs and like to throw Long passes or even Long Bombs and in that scenario a GR with a Team reroll is better than a thrower.

But yeah I agree with you completely Lamaros  why so serious?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:11 PM

He's also 50% more likelier to die  why so serious?

These are two good points I forgot to mention.

1: Yes, he is the best looking Skaven player. Even more so when leveled.
2: Your ball carrier will often be the target of blitzes. If you're not carrying the ball with your GRs unless they're about to score or can run free then they will therefore get blitzed a lot less. A GR that gets blitzed less lives longer, and long lived GRs become amazingly good. A thrower that gets blitzed might die more often, but you only really want one or two skills on them so they are much more replaceable. Plus you should have two on your roster so you've never completely out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:25:17 PM by lamaros »
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 08:47:56 PM

I actually completely agree with Lamaros as well but I've seen some teams where they'll give Catch to GRs and like to throw Long passes or even Long Bombs and in that scenario a GR with a Team reroll is better than a thrower.

I play a regular passing game with my Skaven sometimes, and will take Strong Arm on a doubles every time for a Thrower.  A strong arm/accurate thrower should never get hit (on offense), since he can pretty much stand near your end zone and run/throw to a scoring-position GR without significant risk of failure.

I actually find the threat of a long pass as valuable as anything else. I used to score a lot of easy TDs with my +mv GR by simply sending two other GRs deep and then pretending to use him as an assist or screener 2-3 squares past the LoS -- the opposition would devote all their resources to covering the 'receivers', only to be undone by a much shorter pass (or hand-off) to the real scorer, whose extreme move range made him just as likely to score as the other rats. This also tended to get them to hit the deeper GRs, instead of my much more valuable +mv GR (who also had Guard and was defensively crucial as well.) Of course this works a lot better if your Thrower is realistically capable of making the long pass in the first place.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 09:50:50 PM

1: Yes, he is the best looking Skaven player. Even more so when leveled.

Stormvermin are pretty damned  DRILLING AND MANLINESS, especially once they get claws on a double.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment of Skaven Thowers.  I always keep one in Skaven teams.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 09:55:30 PM

Stormvermin are pretty damned  DRILLING AND MANLINESS, especially once they get claws on a double.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment of Skaven Thowers.  I always keep one in Skaven teams.

Where's Bleat Bowl Season 2 eh?!  Mob

Also MoAR MINOTAURS  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 11:59:06 PM

Horns & Hooves 2 is coming!  I was waiting for the Elitist Bullshit Tournament to wrap up, but I've been waiting on my finals match-up for a week and a half now so I guess I might as well start the road to Bleat Bowl II.

And yeah, I'll open voting for minotaurs as well.  I'll be voting in favor of them...unless Goat Variations has less than 160k, in which case I'll think minotaurs are a horrible idea.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 06:44:09 AM

I will be in H&H if there's room. Also, I vote against minotaurs.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:04 AM

I will be in H&H if there's room. Also, I vote against minotaurs.

+1 for me

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: How to not suck, completely, at Skaven: A Guide  
Jump to: