Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 565013 times)
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 06, 2005, 02:34:02 PM

Newseditor/copyeditor for a general pc magazine with a circulation around 150.000/mo.

I also review gadgets and the occasional game.

I like long walks and kicking puppies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 06, 2005, 07:31:50 PM

Male, aged 38.

PhD (physiology - neuroscience) / MBA

I am a biotechnology / pharma stock analyst (investments doh).  "Buy side" but have some "sell side" contacts.   Some private equity contacts.  On the buy side I deal with portfolio managers from both mutual funds and hedge funds.  

Adjunct professorship at a local university.  I still have some involvement with brain research at our regional trauma centre (old habits...)

Toronto, Ontario Canada.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #37 on: February 06, 2005, 08:20:45 PM

Job: Selling games at EB. Until I decide whether or not I want to become a cop or actually apply myself to something safe.
AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 07, 2005, 06:05:05 AM

Male, 33.  Information Technology project leader at a major pharma company.
schmoo
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 07, 2005, 06:27:10 AM

Retired/independently wealthy/too lazy to work.

Older than you.

Used to do an odd variety of techy and non-techy things for money, like programming, hardware repair, consulting, fine woodworking.  I made ~800 ukuleles by hand in two years, my head exploded from the tedium, and I 'retired' to the country, where I play computer games, manage a small website for a non-profit, and complain about the weather.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 07, 2005, 06:47:39 AM

27, Male, Pennsylvania

Anti-Virus Administration/Tech Support for the IT department of a private university

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 07, 2005, 08:09:01 AM

33, Male, Oklahoma

BS in Computer Science

Working tech support for Cox Communications. A mind-numbingly boring job that pays the bills while I follow leads on "real" IT jobs. Sadly for me those are hard to come by in Oklahoma.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 07, 2005, 09:07:33 AM

23, Male, Public School Teacher in South Korea.

Graduated from a US university with a degree in English Lit, which means I'm more qualified to be teaching than most of the native speakers over here, but still not exactly trained.  I came here to travel the world a bit and see how much I like teaching.  Traveling the world = double plus good. Teaching = usually rewarding, occasionally tediuos, very well paying (here), but in the long run, not for me.  Which means I'll be leaving Korea once my contract is up, and then continue to wander the globe.

Formerly a heavy gamer.  Now only play when the rest of my life slows down. 
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #43 on: February 07, 2005, 09:12:56 AM

Attorney
Also back in school pursuing an LL.M. degree in IT Law & Privacy Policy...because you can never have enough loan debt.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 07, 2005, 12:26:02 PM

Data warehousing analyst for an oil company in Houston, TX
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 07, 2005, 12:59:58 PM

Senior Developer (ie fancy name for a codemonkey with a few years experience) for one of the larger Telcos here in Australia.
Not particularly educated.  Ayuh.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 07, 2005, 02:35:51 PM

31 years old, office manager of a heating & air conditioning company in San Diego.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #47 on: February 07, 2005, 02:46:20 PM

Occupation: Field Applications Engineer (I help people design in semiconductor devices into their systems)

I also write and perform music on the side.  Hopefully I'll get back to the F13 parody album sometime soon.  evil

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
astralvoid
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 07, 2005, 03:12:30 PM

...long time lurker, first time poster.

Male, 35 -- Occupation: Systems Engineer  (Hardware/software infrastructure design and implementation, or Unix Systems Admin for short  wink )

Also a part-time student completing my Bachelors in CompSci.  I love programming, but will not fool myself into thinking I can make more money by becoming a programmer!  I appreciate you programmers out there who deliver these games...wel, many of these games anyways. hehe

Ahh..it feels good to post!   :-D
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 07, 2005, 04:24:21 PM

Code monkey for a not for profit publicly funded research/community support project.

Working on make a lat move over to an ultra low power CMOS research project starting up in a few months (Mmm, post grad work in a commercially relevant engineering subject, how rare is that?).

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #50 on: February 07, 2005, 07:05:58 PM

23, half arab male living in Denver.

Graduated last year with a BS in Electrical Engineering.  Worked since then in business selling various things.  Discovered secret to my life is contract jobs with big gaming binges between them.  The benefits suck, but the pay is good.  Currently enganged to an extremely intelligent lady who will make the phat lewtz.

Will you be my friend?

Macallan 18 2 rocks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 07:24:22 AM by MrHat »
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 07, 2005, 07:20:58 PM

Male, 37
System Administrator & all-around IT Guru   rolleyes
San Diego

COME ON YOU SPURS!
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #52 on: February 07, 2005, 07:46:05 PM

Italy
Time waster
Awake from 8PM till 12AM

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 07, 2005, 10:52:34 PM

22, Male, Michigan
Circuit City lackey
Going to college for BS in Electrical Engineering

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 08, 2005, 12:34:57 AM

Male, 22
I play games.

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 08, 2005, 09:39:14 AM

Male, 31, married

Attorney (lot of us around here it seems)

Washington DC

Sapphire & tonic.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #56 on: February 08, 2005, 09:45:53 AM

Finance guy.

NY suburbs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:07:45 PM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 08, 2005, 10:41:30 AM

Fulltime mother of two.

Editor, Warcry.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 10:42:09 AM by schild »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #58 on: February 08, 2005, 01:21:22 PM

System Admin, aged 34 years, no degrees/certs; experience, baby!

Just my day job until I save enough to buy a ranch and build a music studio, which, at my salary, should be sometime in early 2143. Retired professional musician.

Edit: Forgot to mention: favorite drink: ice cold beer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 09:28:17 AM by Sky »
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #59 on: February 08, 2005, 01:49:10 PM

38. Computer security administrator somewhere shite, near Princeton, NJ.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #60 on: February 08, 2005, 03:49:41 PM

Independent Consultant (Healthcare IT, Integration Engineering) by day, Independent Game Developer by night/weekends.
Social Life: Non-existant.

Rumors of War
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #61 on: February 08, 2005, 04:12:41 PM

Counterintelligence Agent, US Army
currently stationed in Seoul, Republic of Korea

30 years old

screwdriver, preferably with Tropicana (no pulp) and Smirnoff Blue Label

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Cuular
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 10, 2005, 12:36:54 PM

40, Male

Senior System administrator/Database Administrator/Network Administrator/Satelite office PC support
      For a large software firm in Southern California.

Favorite drink: Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee with 2% milk added.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 10, 2005, 05:12:23 PM

Female, 37
Chicagoland, IL
Project Management Assistant for HP (and to think I spent 7.5 years in college getting a degree in art!)
Malibu Rum and pineapple juice (although orange juice works in a pinch)

Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 11, 2005, 08:31:33 AM

I've been alive for 33 years, but maturity-wise, I'm an infant.

For money I write technical documents for a software company in Irvine, California. Yes, I'm the guy who writes the help files you people never read.

In my spare time, I game (online and PnP) and write novels that will never get published.

Um, never mind.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: February 11, 2005, 10:30:15 AM

degree: BA Telecommunications (Baylor Univ)
job: I work at a scheduling desk for a 3rd party service provider for dell.  I'm mircomanaged and the pay is complete fucking shit.  I could have done this job when I was 12.

Sorry, I didn't realize we were supposed to include favorite drink or whatnot...  My favorite adult beverage is single malt scotch whiskey.  My fiancee got me a bottle of Glenlivet for Valentine's Day (we opened our gifts early :-D)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 11, 2005, 01:00:06 PM

For money I write technical documents for a software company in Irvine, California. Yes, I'm the guy who writes the help files you people never read.
As long as you don't write the help files for Microsoft products we're cool.  I have a whole list of painful atrocities I'm going visit on the first one of them fuckers I come across.  Like we'll sit down at a computer and look for help on X and everywhere in that help file it says to see Y and then in the Y help file says to see X I'm going to stick a rusty pin in thier eye.  I'm going to need a lot of pins.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
jlwilli5
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 12, 2005, 02:07:42 AM

WA State|35|male -- Professional lurker by day...Surgical Tech whenever
          Doing the back to school thing. Is it me or is it easier the older you get? 

Chinese Green Tea

Well back to lurking.....

Target Erukul 

EvE:
      Lukure
      Karsys
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 13, 2005, 08:22:10 AM

As long as you don't write the help files for Microsoft products we're cool.  I have a whole list of painful atrocities I'm going visit on the first one of them fuckers I come across.  Like we'll sit down at a computer and look for help on X and everywhere in that help file it says to see Y and then in the Y help file says to see X I'm going to stick a rusty pin in thier eye.  I'm going to need a lot of pins.

I wholeheartedly disagree.
If it wasn't for badly written documentation, I would be out of a job. We can sell 150.000+ issues 17 times a year teaching people how to do stuff in Windows, Word and a number of other supposedly welldocumented applications.
And we make a lot of money doing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Catalan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 13, 2005, 11:55:52 AM

Spanish, 30
Unix Admin, programmer, BOFH and general crisis solver for university IT services. (That would account for 10% of my 35 hrs/week, rest is board lurking)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: