Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 567117 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: March 27, 2007, 08:40:45 AM

You can at least teach them how to read a map.  I had a friend who, quite literally, was unable to use a map.  Forget finding a country, he couldn't find one street over.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #456 on: March 27, 2007, 06:53:48 PM

update:  escaped from Army

Conversational English Instructor, Pagoda Direct English, Euljiro, Seoul.

Much happier now.  Job is easy and fun.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: March 28, 2007, 06:21:01 AM

Conversational English?

So, you get to use the words 'Fuck' and 'Shit' a lot at work?

"Fuck, man, that shit sucked."

"Shit dude, did you see what that fucking guy did?"

Otherwise it's probably not conversational English so much as some hypothetical version of English our English teacher hoped we would speak in conversations.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: March 28, 2007, 01:15:41 PM

Hagwon!  Kekekeke.

I've occasionally thought about going back to Korea to try to land a university position.
publius
Developers

MyNeoCorp Productions

Reply #459 on: April 23, 2007, 09:15:48 AM

Location: Lyman, Washington (it is a town of like 250 people, if you count people a mile on each side of city limits. it is otherwise known as bumfuck, washington)

Favorite Drink: Mountain Dew (me and one of my friends use to both drink a 24 pack to ourselves each weekend to get a buzz off of it, and now I drink a 1 to 2 liters a day :/)

If i wanna blitz myself into some papaya induced hallucination thats my business. - Freakazoid
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: April 23, 2007, 10:12:48 AM

Interesting - I used to live on Lake Samish. (16-20 miles away as the crow flies for those that don't care).

Ever go to the Alger Tavern? I used to love rib night there.

publius
Developers

MyNeoCorp Productions

Reply #461 on: April 23, 2007, 11:23:46 AM

Nah, never been there. I'll have to see if a couple of my buddies wanna go for dinner sometime there. What night was rib night?

How long ago did you live there, I know a lot of people that live up that way, perhaps I've heard of you.

If i wanna blitz myself into some papaya induced hallucination thats my business. - Freakazoid
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: April 23, 2007, 12:54:43 PM

Was Monday nights. They have a nice section outside of the bar. And unlikely - was only a year.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #463 on: May 15, 2007, 11:26:17 AM

I was just offered and accepted a job to be a Senior City Attorney in a large metro area. So I am now a lawyer again, although not one of those greedy private lawyer bastards.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #464 on: May 15, 2007, 12:12:32 PM

I was just offered and accepted a job to be a Senior City Attorney in a large metro area. So I am now a lawyer again, although not one of those greedy private lawyer bastards.

Grats! I am assuming you are still mired in the Beehive State?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: May 15, 2007, 12:43:27 PM

Ack... you were lured away from academia by the dark side?  Maybe I should start considering law school again.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: May 15, 2007, 12:48:18 PM

Ya. Still here in Utah. I doubt I'll ever get out of here. But I am working for the good city.  cheesy

And yes, I was lured away from the hallowed halls of ivory towers and tweed jackets. Heading towards bankruptcy will do that to a guy.  Although this is more in line with what I have been wanting to do and it quite a bit different than my old job. It is doing transactional work for the Redevelopment Agency plus they may have me redo a bunch of the election regulations which is what I have been concentrating on in my research for the past year and a half. No more billing. No more fighting with clients over the bill. No more bitching with partners about A/Rs or billables. My really good friend that used to work at my firm and bailed several years even before I did works there, so all in all I'm hoping it will be a much better experience. I'm still going to try to do the dissertation as I finished up my coursework (yesterday in fact) and potentially adjunct in a couple of years after I get settled into this new job.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #467 on: May 15, 2007, 12:51:58 PM

Grats!  Best of luck.  Do good stuff!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: May 15, 2007, 12:53:54 PM

Well, you know I can't blame you.  It's more important to be doing what you enjoy than about anything else.  If your stint in grad school helped you find a position that will have you happy to go to work in the morning, then you win.  I can see how having interesting work without dealing with the whole "billable hours" crap would be a breath of fresh air.  So congrats on the position!

I'm personally torn between taking a moderately interesting job that pays ridiculously well (allowing me to retire in 10 years) or taking a low paying job that I enjoy.  I guess that I could always do the first for 10 years and then the second, but I'm still trying to get used to the whole delayed gratification thing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 12:55:44 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: May 15, 2007, 01:23:16 PM

I agree with your sentiment on that. I talked to the guy who I will be replacing (who actually used to work with my father in law and wife at different places, god this is a small town considering how many people are here) and he made the same transition from big-firm corporate stuff to municipal work about 10 years ago and really likes it.  Working for a city won't get you rich by any means, but it is a lot more than what I would have started out at if I had been lucky enough to scratch my way to a professor position. I also got a bit disillusioned with the academic world in my brief foray. The teaching stuff is good but the other attendant bullshit looked like the same kind of crap I tried to leave (i.e. office politics, hounding for publications, always hustling for grant money, etc.). Hopefully I can adjunct and only do the fun stuff.

As for your dilemma, I'd have a hard time turning down a job that would put me in a position to retire in 10 years, but that amount of time sounds a lot shorter than it would be actually having to do something your not into.

-H.L. Mencken
Zodiac
Developers

Turbine

Reply #470 on: May 15, 2007, 02:56:35 PM

Hello everyone :) Zodiac from Turbine here. I am the Manager for the Application Development group that's responsible for customer facing applications that are out of the game (e.g. Account Management).

Brought to this site, interesting, by the news about Sigil. Still trying to get a grip on what this place is about ;) The About page on the main site is broken :D

Manager, Application Development
Turbine, Inc.

If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: May 15, 2007, 03:35:53 PM

Brought to this site, interesting, by the news about Sigil. Still trying to get a grip on what this place is about ;)

We're mainly just a repository for the SWG NGE thread.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #472 on: May 15, 2007, 03:43:18 PM

I got promoted.  For now.  Working for a telecom keeps me busy!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #473 on: May 15, 2007, 03:50:56 PM

Still trying to get a grip on what this place is about

It's about insulting each other while talking about videogames.

I am an Italian living in Italy, but I don't like it. I am a secretary/writer.
I am 33 years old and since 1994 I am a single parent.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #474 on: May 15, 2007, 05:53:26 PM

I got promoted.  For now.  Working for a telecom keeps me busy!

Gratz, Ched! You'll need it, what with all those mouths to feed.  wink

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #475 on: May 16, 2007, 11:12:00 AM

The About page on the main site is broken :D

Working as intended.

To stay on track with the job info, I am still putting fizz in soda.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #476 on: May 16, 2007, 01:29:42 PM

I still make sure kids can hook with each other up on myspace.
jtoast
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: May 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM

Delurking because I'm bored.

I have one of those dream jobs that people would kill for.  I work from home as a software packager.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #478 on: May 16, 2007, 01:59:17 PM

You put DVDs into cases?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: May 16, 2007, 02:20:03 PM

Um, yeah.. is there more to it than it sounds?

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
jtoast
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: May 16, 2007, 02:24:03 PM

heh yea...

I do mainly corporate desktop refresh projects. 

Company A is upgrading from 2K to XP, we go in and test all their software for compability, Update their install procedures, catalog it, repackage it into MSI format and then hand it back to them so that they can distribute it via SMS or whatever.

My job TITLE is packager but i've been kind of promoted out of that recently.

My actual job lately is to solve problems that the packagers in India come up with by calling the client in the UK and scheduling meetings :P
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: May 16, 2007, 02:33:43 PM

That's more like it.  :-D

In the late 90's I had a work-from home contract as a follow-up to a software dev one I did for a UK public sector org.  They had timed a data conversion at about six hours and sent me through a bunch each week to do.  They'd done it manually with a loooong series of SQL statements constructed on the fly.

I scripted it and could run each in about 40 minutes, of which i only had to be there for about 5.  I only regret (I really do) that I wasted those 18 months or so smoking gear, watching Jerry Springer and going out with students (the only people equally time-rich outside the actual unemployed).

Twitter - Endieposts

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: May 16, 2007, 03:16:38 PM

Boredom strikes!  I make lasers.  Really big powerful ones.  I am the one who gets to deal with the line voltage and make it nice and compact and accurate for the rest of the system.  I'm the youngest one in my department by over 10 years, so I catch alot of hell for being the young kid.  Sure beats the hell out of being a garbage collector.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #483 on: May 16, 2007, 05:44:36 PM

That's more like it.  :-D

In the late 90's I had a work-from home contract as a follow-up to a software dev one I did for a UK public sector org.  They had timed a data conversion at about six hours and sent me through a bunch each week to do.  They'd done it manually with a loooong series of SQL statements constructed on the fly.

I scripted it and could run each in about 40 minutes, of which i only had to be there for about 5.  I only regret (I really do) that I wasted those 18 months or so smoking gear, watching Jerry Springer and going out with students (the only people equally time-rich outside the actual unemployed).

What is smoking gear?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #484 on: May 16, 2007, 06:10:37 PM

Just got a job offer that I'm going to accept doing back-end file management for a large east-coast bank; pretty much every piece of paperwork comes through the office I'll be working in. At least it'll let me do things, like maybe get a 360, or finally take up fencing.

This is just somewhat temporary until I get offered a USAF commission. Failing that, I'd look into become a Foreign Service Officer (Consul, specifically).

Failing that, well....career choices get a bit more "out there"....Maybe, somehow, find a way to teach in Asia? Teaching History would be a huge plus, but conversational English would work as well.

Early 20s SUCK.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #485 on: May 16, 2007, 08:16:58 PM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: May 17, 2007, 10:35:58 AM

Failing that, well....career choices get a bit more "out there"....Maybe, somehow, find a way to teach in Asia? Teaching History would be a huge plus, but conversational English would work as well.

Very VERY easy to get a job teaching english in Asia, even one that will pay decently.  Will it be a decent job and not make you go insane?  That takes more work.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #487 on: May 17, 2007, 12:03:40 PM

Desktop Support tech at a large University / Hospital. I fix Brain Surgeon's computers. Well, nurses, doctors, admin assistants, researchers, and others as well. I get paid to forum whore basically.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #488 on: May 17, 2007, 12:07:59 PM

I am now a project manager.

Same company, same pay, same department. Now equipped with MS Project and a call-in number.

Woop.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #489 on: May 17, 2007, 12:11:21 PM

Grats. Now bust their balls for a salary bump. + responsibility should ALWAYS come with + pay.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: