Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:24:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Confirmed what we suspected 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Confirmed what we suspected  (Read 4320 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

on: February 03, 2005, 02:15:57 PM

Lord Recluse, CoV lead designer, posted today:

"There are PvP zones where heroes and villains fight."

Also:

"Exemplaring -- you can if you want, but it's not currently a planned requirement for PvP. Of course it would be the only way a higher level could play in one of the lower level PvP zones."

So that confirms it.  There will be safe areas, and zones that act as free-for-alls, like the frontier system in DAoC.  Good plan, in my opinion, especially with the travel options that CoH offers.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 02:48:53 PM

That also sounds like the zones WILL be level-restricted. Not sure if that's the best option, personally. Especially for the villains, who will be stuck without PVP partners through at least the first 20 levels, I'd imagine, since the heroes side will have had most of a year or more to level up.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 03:01:37 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
That also sounds like the zones WILL be level-restricted. Not sure if that's the best option, personally. Especially for the villains, who will be stuck without PVP partners through at least the first 20 levels, I'd imagine, since the heroes side will have had most of a year or more to level up.

Unless there's a "fallen hero" system put in place as rumored.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 03:19:16 PM

Level restricted zones, yes, but perhaps not all of them.  Remember the battlegrounds in DAoC.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 03:31:42 PM

I expect the opposite.  The playerbase will pile into CoV and level up villains pretty quickly, temporarily leaving the heroes outnumbered until  things even out.  And at any rate, with level-restricted zones the high-level heroes at least won't be smashing level 14 villains.

If the CoV PvP zones are instanced the way the I-4 PvP zones are, then the advantage goes to the low-pop side, who get instant PvP gratification while others wait.  This is vastly preferable to the non-instanced (DAoC) PvP scenario, where the high-pop side rolls over everyone else until the rest quit.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Llava
Contributor

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 07:17:12 PM

I believe what Haemish was saying was that it will be annoying for the villains for the first 20 levels, because it will be nearly impossible to find a hero to fight.  I have to agree there, though I do see myself playing a low level hero while everyone's playing villains just to trounce a bunch of people who don't really know what they can do yet.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 05:38:25 AM

He said "partners," I took that to mean villain buddies.  And PvP may not be an option till level 14 anyway - at least if its like I-4 PvP.  

And again, there won't be PvP for anyone if someone doesn't play a hero.  If things are instanced, advantage goes to the low-pop side and things even out.  Not instanced?  Yeah, thats trouble.

-Numtini
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 07:16:22 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
And again, there won't be PvP for anyone if someone doesn't play a hero.

So villains can't fight other villains?

There's something quite wrong with that from a design p.o.v. These are not 'realms of buddies' a la DAOC's Hibernia or Midgard or Albion, where the other side was the villain just because it was the other side -- these are villain organizations, who should have the option of fighting each other as well as heroes.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 07:32:53 AM

Villians not being able to attack other villians on the street in CoV doesn't have nearly as many issues from a design point of view as giving freeform pvp to the villian realm, then expecting them to face off against the hero realm would have.

Villians are going to pasted by heroes for many many months becuase of the headstart heroes have already had. The issue isn't levels gained, the issue is the time spent researching the exact effect of powers and enhancers in order to perfect template designs.

Cursing Villians with being unable to work together and dooming them to a DAoC Mordred level of population isn't going to be workable.

If villians can fight each other it's going to be the same way heroes can in i4, consensual arenas only.

One possible half way house might be having multiple villian realms, so that villians don't come across villians from an opposing faction unless they choose to.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 07:36:18 AM

It's easy to underestimate just how many lower level alts people actively play in CoH.

The active population in CoH is still fairly even right through the level range.

And it's easy to imagine a community of lvl 15 pvpers building up quickly, just like the community around the first battleground in DAOC.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 07:43:43 AM

Quote from: eldaec
The active population in CoH is still fairly even right through the level range.

Which when I think about it - probably says a great deal about the quality of the game.  There is no rush to get to a "fun level".

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 09:53:30 AM

For those who don't know, villains join one of two factions when created.  One of those factions exists already, one will be new.  The new one will likely be S.P.I.D.E.R.  The existing one by most guesses will be The Council, and I'm inclined to agree.

So those two factions may be able to fight each other, but it really does make sense that they'd prevent inter-faction fighting with villains.  Except, of course, within their own arena... which they do have.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 10:05:31 AM

I thought I read somewhere that SPIDER had infiltrated agents into the 5th Column and orchestrated their takeover by the Council.  That might make SPIDER/Council the "existing" bad guys and the new one has not been named.

-Numtini
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 10:10:24 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
I thought I read somewhere that SPIDER had infiltrated agents into the 5th Column and orchestrated their takeover by the Council.  That might make SPIDER/Council the "existing" bad guys and the new one has not been named.

Quote from: Statesman
Decades ago Arachnos planted Requiem and other agents within the 5th Column. Requiem used his outside ties and the power he gained from the Nictus to cultivate many followers within the Column. When SPIDER recently reared its head, the Center (former member of Aracnos and founder of the Council), decided it was time to complete the takeover of the 5th Column. After sending a signal to Requiem the Council was able to subdue all resistance virtually overnight. Any 5th Column troops not willing to convert were killed or driven away. The 5th Column is no more, now there is only the Council.

So they are related, but SPIDER != Council

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 10:32:24 AM

My point being that the villain groups are not likely to be SPIDER and Council.  It would be lame if the "two groups" were just two arms of the same beast.

-Numtini
Llava
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 11:06:43 AM

You're mistaken there.  The group that infiltrated the 5th Column and is the father of the Council is called Arachnos.  To my knowledge, they haven't specifically stated that SPIDER and Arachnos are related in any way, but it really doesn't take a big leap of the imagination to see that they might be.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 02:21:58 PM

There is a whole load of other information around Striga isle, and in teh new arcs in i3. My understanding is that Arachnos and SPIDER are not on good terms, when I say related, I mean related in the sense of hating each other's guts.

I personally doubt they'd be silly enough to make the Council a player villian group.

The council is generally thought of as just about the lamest villian group in the history of crime. And the playerbase is not shy about stating their views on this subject.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 09:22:18 AM

Actually I don't think level segregated pvp areas will be a problem. Given how often and how many alts people make in COH combined with all the current epic archtypes starting you again at level 1 means you should find plenty of action in the lower level zones.

If it was a more normal mmrpg it could be a problem but with COH it should not be a problem at all,

kaid
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Confirmed what we suspected  
Jump to: