Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: American Idol Season 10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol Season 10  (Read 9598 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: January 19, 2011, 10:29:27 PM

awesome, for real

This is going to be a very strange season with Steven Tyler as one of the judges.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:28:27 AM

My wife and I watch the show as one of those "things we do together" sort of things.  I was sure that I was going to hate (HATE) both of the new judges.  Turns out, I don't.  It's possible that it is overall an improvement.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:48:34 AM

Jennifer Lopez was one of the better mentors they've had on the show. I expect her to do a much better job than Paula since Jennifer can actually give useful singing advice to the contestants.

Steven is this weird, creepy old dude who likes to hit on teenage girls this guy looks legit
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:42:19 PM

Do you guys have X-Factor over there too?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:43:12 PM

Soon. Simon Cowell left AI to bring his X-Factor show here to the US.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:49:43 PM

Ah right, Pop Idol died here and was replaced by X-Factor (which you could argue is a more interesting format I think), I wasn't sure about y'all though.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:07:21 AM

ARISE!

So, I agree with the assessment above that Steven Tyler is more than a bit creepy  this guy looks legit , but this season has been really interesting so far.  I think the contestants are all pretty talented, although some of the top 9 remaining I can't stand.  The husband and I both agree that this year's format of not having different stars coming in week and instead they are working with Jimmy Iovine is much better. 

The judging though has been odd.  While I don't neessarily miss having Simon on the show, there's been a real lack of harsh criticism so far as well.  Steven seems to be in the cheerleader role that was Randy's last year, Jennifer is pretty even handed and Randy goes back and forth between trying to be Simon and being the cheerleader.  But there hasn't been a huge amount of "technical" concrit given, IMO.  Still, it's better than loopy Paula or hearing Simon being a bitch just because he can.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:34:00 AM

The bits from the studio with Jimmy can be somewhat interesting, I wish they'd expand on that more.

The "judging" is horrendous, this "kinder, gentler" format sucks. I miss Simon's honesty and even Randy half the time seems doped up.

As far as contestents, it's easily the weakest season I've seen (the last three or four). Jacob has ridiculous chops, and the Celine Dion-alike is technically good. But they're missing the character from past seasons, most of the people in it right now shouldn't be.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 12:25:45 PM

See now, Jacob is one I don't care for all that much outside of his niche.  He's an awesome gospel singer but stretching beyond that just doesn't make me like him any more. 

Stephano annoys the fuck out of me and I wish he'd get booted off asap.

Scotty will be a hit as a country singer eventually, but at least he can stretch a bit beyond just that.  Last night on the Elvis tune he did a good job, IMO.

The girls are pretty forgettable, IMO.  Pia is technically good, like you said, but she's boring as all get out as well.  Haley did a nice job last night as well, but her stage presence annoys me.

James - he can sing and I think he made the right call to switch it up a bit last night and sing "While my guitar gently weeps" but his facial tics weird me out.  And if you hadn't noticed before this, now you will.  I'm sorry.

Paul is loopy and reminds me of that one lightweight guy from a few seasons ago with the dreadlocks - Jason something.  He wasn't very memorable either.

Casey - I like Casey if only because he does something different and plays the upright bass.  I think he's good but it's like he doesn't have a genre that works well for him, IMO.

Actually, the husband and I were tinking this was one of the better seasons for talent.  The last few have been a bit weak in the talent pool, but that could just be us.  Usually by this stage in previous seasons there are obvious frontrunners and you know who's not going to make it to the end, but this time I'm not really seeing it.  Again, could just be me though.

And counting back though, I'm missing someone and damned if I can remember who it is.  Sad.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 08:43:08 PM

Shouldn't have used that save on Casey why so serious?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:15:10 AM

Nah, while I would have preferred Stephano go instead, she's not that great a loss, IMO.  As I said above, she's technically great but boring as hell on stage (and I don't think she did that good on "River Deep, Mountain High" either.  Hell, she didn't even measure up to the Erasure version).  Besides, it's not as if she won't get some kind of attention/deal/whatever out of this experience, plus the whole tour thing this summer.  Better to keep someone who at least appears to be able to learn or grow out of his niche than someone who still comes off as a one-trick pony type at this stage of the competition.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:19:49 AM

We DVR it, so if I participate in this thread, it's going to be late. We probably will watch both eps tonight. I can't imagine not being able to FF through commercials and bullshit, especially on the results ep. The rule is FF until you see the red lights on stage for the results ep.

Anyway.

Stephano - can't stand him. He's got an odd timbre in his voice that bothers me and is probably only in because of Jennifer's moist underwear.

We like Casey, but he's completely lost his way and that growly stuff is way too cheesy.

Jacob, as I said my favorite. The challenge for him is to find a song that he can re-write into his style. What elevated previous seasons were guys like Lambert and Cook who could take songs outside their realm and alter them into the sweet spot. There have been a couple decent examples this season (Naima's reggae version of I'm Still Standing, really liked it), but overall it's been bad.

Haley, she used to be just annoying with her cheesy grin and dicey vocals. Since someone encouraged her to use that cheesy growl in her voice, I just want her gone. ASAP. We were hoping for her instead of Naima, who at least brought something interesting to the table (and personally my favorite story of the season).

Durben - he's cool. Not really outstanding, could use some seasoning with a band. He's no Cook or Lambert, but has qualities of both...just lacks the experience they brought. Cook and Lambert (and pretty much everyone we liked in past seasons) showed up with their A game. Not a fan of the kid from nowhere with no professional chops. Tics don't bother me at all.

Pia, already went over. Great vocals, yawn. I called her Celine and my fiancee laughed and then a judge referred to Celine. Har.

Scotty is good at his thing, needs seasoning in the studio. He'll have a solid country career if he gets the proper production and management. Let him play guitar or show him how to stand and hold a mic and not look like a wimp.

Is Paul still in it? God that dude is annoying and has very little feel for how to pick songs for his voice. For the love of whatever, let him play his guitar so he doesn't prance around.

Yeah, I disagree with the talent assessment, RF. Look at last season, Siobhan the wacky powerhouse; Crystal the throwback powerhouse; Big Mike...powerhouse; Didi's modern Adele-alike; Lee's smoky vocals with (again) the seasoning of some experience under his belt. Year before that was a bit weaker but the year before THAT, when Cook won, was pretty good, too. We liked Jason Castro (have one of his albums, actually) and Brooke always brought something, Carly singing Heart was just amazing, Cook was great and Archuleta was decent (though I didn't like him).
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 07:51:28 AM

We DVR it, so if I participate in this thread, it's going to be late. We probably will watch both eps tonight. I can't imagine not being able to FF through commercials and bullshit, especially on the results ep. The rule is FF until you see the red lights on stage for the results ep.
Oh gods yes.  I couldn't stand watching anything anymore if I couldn't fast forward through the commercials and general BS of the results shows. 

Stephano - can't stand him. He's got an odd timbre in his voice that bothers me and is probably only in because of Jennifer's moist underwear.

We like Casey, but he's completely lost his way and that growly stuff is way too cheesy.

Jacob, as I said my favorite. The challenge for him is to find a song that he can re-write into his style. What elevated previous seasons were guys like Lambert and Cook who could take songs outside their realm and alter them into the sweet spot. There have been a couple decent examples this season (Naima's reggae version of I'm Still Standing, really liked it), but overall it's been bad.

Haley, she used to be just annoying with her cheesy grin and dicey vocals. Since someone encouraged her to use that cheesy growl in her voice, I just want her gone. ASAP. We were hoping for her instead of Naima, who at least brought something interesting to the table (and personally my favorite story of the season).

Durben - he's cool. Not really outstanding, could use some seasoning with a band. He's no Cook or Lambert, but has qualities of both...just lacks the experience they brought. Cook and Lambert (and pretty much everyone we liked in past seasons) showed up with their A game. Not a fan of the kid from nowhere with no professional chops. Tics don't bother me at all.

Pia, already went over. Great vocals, yawn. I called her Celine and my fiancee laughed and then a judge referred to Celine. Har.

Scotty is good at his thing, needs seasoning in the studio. He'll have a solid country career if he gets the proper production and management. Let him play guitar or show him how to stand and hold a mic and not look like a wimp.

Is Paul still in it? God that dude is annoying and has very little feel for how to pick songs for his voice. For the love of whatever, let him play his guitar so he doesn't prance around.
I do agree on most of your assessments, but we'll have to agree to disagree on Jacob.  I'm not sure he's got the ability to change up a song to the point where he can make it totally his style.  He seems a bit too locked into the whole "gospel" aspect of music, which is fine but I'm not sure it'll be able to carry him to the end. 

Re: the “no professional chops” – I kind of think that’s what I tend to like about some of these contestants.  I though that was the goal of AI, to showcase and give a chance to folks who wouldn’t otherwise have an opportunity, so seeing someone who’s been making a local living in the field kind of (a tiny bit) ruins it for me.  It gives those contestants an edge over the “raw talent” kinds who’ve not had the chance to get that seasoning under their belts.  Isn’t this one of the younger batch of contestants as well?  They’ve got a lot to learn and hopefully the ability to do so (like holding the mic properly, or at least so you don’t look silly).

Oh, and I like Naima as well.  She was different and seemed to not be aiming for the typical bubblegum-poppy career.  Husband couldn’t stand her though.

Yeah, I disagree with the talent assessment, RF. Look at last season, Siobhan the wacky powerhouse; Crystal the throwback powerhouse; Big Mike...powerhouse; Didi's modern Adele-alike; Lee's smoky vocals with (again) the seasoning of some experience under his belt. Year before that was a bit weaker but the year before THAT, when Cook won, was pretty good, too. We liked Jason Castro (have one of his albums, actually) and Brooke always brought something, Carly singing Heart was just amazing, Cook was great and Archuleta was decent (though I didn't like him).
Castro – that’s his name!  I never minded him that much, but ultimately he was forgettable in that season’s group.  He was more of a Jack Johnson, lighthearted singer and couldn’t seem to move beyond that.   Even if contestants have a particular area they are strong in, the more successful ones have been able to either move outside that area and still show strength (adaptability) or they’ve been able to take other genres and make it over to fit their strengths.  You mentioned Lambert and Cook – think of how adaptable they were with the songs they did and now the switched things up.  I’m not sure some of the remaining 8 have the ability to do that.

Which does make me rethink the level of talent this season.  Maybe I’m thinking it’s better than in the past because there isn’t a really strong front-runner at this point yet, but that could be more of an indicator that they are all at the same (mediocre) level of talent instead of being really, really strong.

And it’s still sad we keep forgetting “that other contestant” aka Lauren.  Doesn’t say much for her, although I told the husband it was telling that she was dressed in drapey clothes while Haley was in tight jeans and Pia was showing her cleavage in a catsuit getup.  The whole clothing/outfits thing for guys/gals is a completely different rant which I’m sure none of the guys care about, so there.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:24:37 AM

Oh, yeah. Lauren is good, liked the duet with her and Scott.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 08:21:26 AM

Oh, yeah. Lauren is good, liked the duet with her and Scott.

Lauren just needs to make sure she sings the right songs, because I think she actually extremely good with the right tunes.  And the duet was really good (I don't even like country music).

Overall, from top to bottom of the list, I think the talent this year is the best they've had.  There has never been a season where they didn't get down to the top ten and I couldn't point out at least three terribly weak contestants.  This year, I literally have no idea who's going next.

Speaking of which, I'll have to disagree with all of you on Pia.  I think she was probably the best vocalist they've had on that show since....forever?  I didn't find her boring at all (admittedly, I was probably too busy wanting to have sex with her).  I don't care if she was singing the ballads from all the super-divas...she's the only one I've ever heard on that show that didn't routinely murder those songs.   I was sure she was top 3 material, and I think the only reason she went home is because 80% of the voting is done by pre-teen and teenage girls.  I'll admit that, in all the seasons of watching the show, that's the first time I literally got fucking pissed to hear the final result.  Totally nonsensical.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:56 AM

Pia's problem wasn't ever talent.  She's got plenty of that.  It was the fact that she stood there and didn't move or engage the audience at all (or barely).  That does nothing to win you fans when there is no sense of interaction.  Plus her trying to switch things up and not do a ballad didn't go over well because the song she picked was barely faster than a ballad anyways plus it just came too late in the game.  She didn't show any hint of versatility, IMO.

Last night's show was all over the place.  And because I know Sky watches on DVR later, I'll be use spoilers to be safe.

So, results tonight is going to be fun, fun, fun. 

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 10:44:29 AM

I DVR too, so I'll avoid the spoilers.

I see your point on the lack of engagement, but I guess I see it as something she can and will learn.  To my way of thinking, a voice like that comes along very rarely.  I'd be shocked if we don't hear from her down the line.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 11:22:42 AM

Oh, I'm sure we'll hear from her down the line, just don't think it'll be in a "pop" music kind of scene.

I agree that crowd interaction can be learned and really does come with seasoning and experience, but she still hadn't shown any of that yet by that point in time.  Could be that it was just taking her a bit longer to loosen up but with as fast as AI moves and how quickly the contestants have to learn things, taking it slow and easy to grow wasn't benefitting Pia at all.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 11:31:03 AM

Oh, I'm sure we'll hear from her down the line, just don't think it'll be in a "pop" music kind of scene.
There are rumors going around that Interscope is trying to sign her to a record deal but the show may be blocking that.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 11:33:36 AM

Don't the contestants (or at least the top 10) sign some sort of agreement relating to the summer tour and their first year of work after the season they're on?  Like they are contractually required to do what the AI producers want for that first year or something?  I thought I heard that, but I could be wrong.  That would explain why the show is blocking any possible deals and why it takes so long (it seems) for those voted off to come out with their own works.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 11:36:05 AM

Yes they do but Jimmy Iovine (this season's mentor) is Chairman of Interscope so it's possible a deal might be worked out for her to do something early.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 09:34:09 AM

Today is boring - you people need to post more for my entertainment!

@Trippy - I didn't know or I forgot Jimmy Iovine was with Interscope.  Yeah, I can see a deal being worked out for her. 

So, this week's shows for the 7 remaining.  First bit of annoyance, this is the second week in a row that I've had the results "ruined" for me because someone said something.  Last week it was a FB friend going "OH NO!  I can't believe they cut Paul!" about 2 minutes after the show ended.  This week it was some lady at the table next to us when we went out to dinner before watching the DVR saying "yeah, the bottom three were X, Y, Z and Y left."  Gee, thanks.  Although, that one was forgivable because who considers people around them when out in public.

Anyways, going to be paranoid and do the spoilery thing again.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 09:27:24 AM

Down to the final four.  Oh thank gods that one was sent home last night.  awesome, for real

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 05:26:07 AM

Down to the final four.  Oh thank gods that one was sent home last night.  awesome, for real

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 07:32:51 AM

I've been pretty impressed with Haley. I really haven't liked her until she did the jazzy duet with Fozzy Bear. Then she knocked a couple of doubles and triples before getting back to her fake growl thing. She's got some really amazing power notes but I think she's confusing feedback trying to get her to access that part of her voice with the false growl when they tell her to hit her bluesy notes.

But all is forgiven with that House of the Rising Sun. Imo one of the top three performances ever on the show since we've been watching; I rank it with Cook's Billie Jean and Lambert's Mad World (the only two tunes I've bought from iTunes from Idol).

Scotty needs a stage coach badly, he has to be trained to stop acting so femmy and holding the mic with a limp wrist like a flute. Durben is just amazing, I hope he reconnects with the Black Label crew after the show. But I'm really pulling for Lauren. She'll be a great country artist, but it's rough seeing someone so young and naive getting put through the music biz ringer.

And yeah, Jacob could never find his way despite having an amazing natural talent. Really miss Simon, the bullshit flowing from the "judges" is awful this year. It also seems they like or "dislike" things completely at random.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 09:01:19 AM

I loooooooooove me some Haley.  House of the Rising Sun was amazing, and she also floored me with Benny and the Jets a few weeks back.  I would love to see her win, but I don't think she will.  Sometimes the judges are really harsh on her, and I can't figure out why.  Also, it turns out that she's gorgeous.  I didn't think so in the early days (upstaged by Pia, no doubt).  But yeah, she'd get my vote.

Durban is fantastic.  I also think he'll win.  So consistent, and legitimately artistic.  Uprising fucking floored me a couple weeks ago.

Scotty....he isn't my cup of tea (I don't love country music), but I recognize that he's darn good.  He has a shot.  I think the main demographic watching the show is in love with him.

Lauren.  Lauren.  She may be a perfect example of "just a bit too young, not quite ready".  She has an amazing talent, but is too often afraid to use it.  I really like her.  I wish she could figure out how to take chances.  Like Jimmy said, her fear is getting the better of her.  I want to see that same girl who belted out the first part of "Sweet Surrender" in her audition.  Why is she getting less confident as the weeks go by?  That said, I thought last week was one of her best weeks...she was starting to get it.  But then she got some crushing criticism.  Will she regress again?  I think she has an amazing performance in her that we haven't seen yet.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 12:52:29 PM

Really miss Simon, the bullshit flowing from the "judges" is awful this year. It also seems they like or "dislike" things completely at random.
I told the husband we need to start a drinking game for the judge's feedback.  Every time Steven Tyler says "beautiful" take a shot.  We'll be plastered in no time.  I agree that the judges' feedback this year has been lame as hell.  It's like they're afraid to say anything really "mean" or harsh because that'll cause problems of some sort?  Of course, I have the theory that any contestant who gets some harsh concrit is guaranteed to have the most votes (and be safe) in the results because people will vote to counter the big meanie judges.   swamp poop

I really loved Haley's version of "House of the Rising Sun".  That was just incredible and she did an awesome job.  Of all the contestants, she's probably shown the most growth since James and Scotty are so consistent in what they do.

Lauren - I feel bad for her especially when I remembered that she was only 15.  She acts so much older and they dress her looking older that it's easy to forget how much growing up she still needs to do.  That white and teal dress(?) they had her in last week did nothing for her though.  She's not a super skinny tiny girl like Haley is and a few of the outfits just haven't been the most flattering, IMO.  She could just be suffering from some serious nerves as she gets closer to the finale, in a "OMG!!! I can't believe I've made it this far!!!" kind of way and it's stopping her from hitting those big notes like she can.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 08:15:44 PM

Every time Steven Tyler says "beautiful" take a shot. 
I'll see your 'beautiful' and raise you an 'in it to win it'.  Ohhhhh, I see.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:20 PM

Every time Steven Tyler says "beautiful" take a shot. 
I'll see your 'beautiful' and raise you an 'in it to win it'.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Well, at least he's not saying "yo dawg" every other sentence.  I'd be an alcoholic if he was still saying that phrase.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 06:14:30 AM

We're out - DVR service cut off last night.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 06:25:43 AM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 06:52:55 AM

I stopped watching this season just because Scotty holds the mic like he's given it a blowjob and cupping it's balls.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:21 AM

Lady Gaga as mentor though?  IDK, I guess it worked but really, I'm more than a bit jaded about their mentor choices because it seems more related to who's got a CD coming out soon versus someone who can actually give solid advice for the theme.  And tied in with her whole FV "appearance" it just makes me feel cynical about her being there.  Although I did get a giggle out of Scotty and Lauren getting the heebie-jeebies becuase they had to be near the heathen weirdo, or something like that.  Honestly, just because you sing a song that says "because I'm evil" doesn't mean you're going to hell, dear.

When did Gaga evolve into a 60 year old woman?  Good lord, she is far too young to walk and talk like that.  At any rate, I can't stand her.  Shock does not equate to cutting edge or talent, and her attempts to outrage bore me.

I'm a Durbin fan, but he's a hometown boy and a big thing hereabouts.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 08:27:27 AM

Lady Gaga is very talented, though. But the reality is that her schtick has gotten her the spotlight, there are thousands of talented singer/songwriter/musicians languishing in anonymity. So I cut her a lot of slack on the show. It's not like Madonna where there's nothing behind the show.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: American Idol Season 10  
Jump to: