Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Downton Abbey 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Downton Abbey  (Read 16224 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:05 AM

Pretty much everyone hates the Bates storyline as far as I can tell.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 03:49:04 PM

Yea I really don't get it. Heck, I can accept prostitute lady as part and parcel with the era. And this coming Sunday's episode looks like it's kind some bit of abandonment drama.

But this Bates thing: wtf? I sincerely hope there's some master plan where he comes back all macho and taking-no-shit like Tom Selleck from An Innocent Man. Even though that too would be a retarded story arc for Downtown Abbey*, at least it would give some context to this wierd branch.

* I did like "we could call it Downtown Place"  Ohhhhh, I see.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:11 PM

This show is definitely suffering from "wrote exactly one superb, self-contained season" syndrome. The same amount of love and dedication simply have not been present since the start of series two, but since all the same characters and actors and sets and trappings are present we poor dumb audience members keep watching hoping they'll magically become great to watch again.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 06:19:51 PM

This might have some errors regarding plot since it's been a while...

I watched three or four episodes of season two before abandoning it myself. The characters and relationships became too established far too early on. Already in season one I felt Mary falling in love with Matthew was much too convenient, but could accept it. In season two they had become soulmates and Matthew's new girl was such an obvious red herring. Bates and Anna were the same, starcrossed lovers whose future together was telegraphed with a sledgehammer. Edith's tryst with the farmer was altogether unconvincing. Branson's profession of love to Sybil was hammy and sentimental and lacked personal risk and therefore substance.

Amidst all the lame-handed relationship drama, the estate drama fell by the wayside, which further undermined the former, since the show no longer had any proper overarcing storyline. It was all bits and pieces of sentimentality that didn't feel like it built toward a climax or really much of anything.

I guess the bottom line is that the lack of commitment in writing ruined believability for me. There was no real conflict where someone actually risked something tangible. They were all being too nice.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:24 AM

Season 2:

Season 3 (this is a full season spoiler, don't read if you're watching it in the US):
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 02:35:04 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 02:38:45 PM

awesome, for real pillow fluffing
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:31 AM

Full Season 3 + Xmas spoilers

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 12:24:04 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 12:28:54 PM

FYI: Its streaming free to Amazon Prime members.

Or, you know, PBS.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 02:11:15 PM

FYI: Its streaming free to Amazon Prime members.

Or, you know, PBS.

Amazon claiming "exclusive" but yes, you can stream these right off of PBS (via Web or even their iPad app, which we use AirPlay to beam unto big screen) right now (or at least up to the current U.S. episode showing) instead of waiting until June.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 11:25:36 AM

I checked out the season 3 bluray from the local library this week. Am going through a marathon today.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 10:02:20 AM

My wife watched the entire first 2 seasons in a weekend on Comcast's OnDemand. Then started in on Season 3, which is also on OnDemand for those with the misfortune to have Comcast. I started and have so far made it through episode 2, season 1. I like it. It's on my list of things to watch once I catch up to Spartacus.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Downton Abbey  
Jump to: