Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam + Win7 = eurgh 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam + Win7 = eurgh  (Read 6583 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: December 23, 2010, 03:34:15 PM

Since I got my wife's new machine back from the repair shop and mine back from building, I've been installing megadoses of steam games to the machines. What I've noticed quite a bit is that Steam seems to freeze up on the Win7 machines quite a lot, and go to the grey screen ""Steam is not responding" - what would you like to do?

Anyone else encountered this, and is there anything that can be done for it?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:43:27 PM

I've never had an issue with Steam on my Win 7.  Are you sure it's not your connection to the Steam servers (and/or their being pounded due to a holiday sale)?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:57:16 PM

I've never had an issue with Steam on my Win 7. 

Same, been running Win 7 64bit for a while now, never an issue with Steam.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:06:51 PM

Same, been running Win 7 64bit for a while now, never an issue with Steam.

As above.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:11:20 PM

Ditto.  No problems.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 04:31:32 PM

Echo. Although Steam overlay really hates Gigabytes OC Guru stuff. To the point games crash.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 04:43:21 PM

I've never had an issue with Steam on my Win 7.  Are you sure it's not your connection to the Steam servers (and/or their being pounded due to a holiday sale)?

I was hoping this is the case, and it's very possible. I've only had the new Win7 machines for a couple of days - starting with the "everyone in the world log on NOW" day of Dec 20. Never had an issue with the laptop until then, either.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:35:08 PM

It took me a few minutes to connect to Steam tonight, I'm with Lant in guessing it is just the servers being slammed.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:26:52 PM

Yeah, connections have been real slow. Also had major delays in "Steam is updating" getting stuck on 17%. That seems to be clearing up as well. Shame I ended up deleting my whole Steam install on the laptop due to the update freeze and thinking it was something more serious...  embarassed

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:37:21 AM

new HDD on new computer with almost 2 days of steam reinstalls on it died. So I backed it all up. Copied my wife's steam install across to the other HDD. Tried to run Steam. Fucker tells me "durrr steam is on the E drive - you can fuck yourself if you want to run it from the D drive".

Another hour of Reg-editing, failed install repairs, a deletion and a reinstall, and I'm back to the awesome of "Steam Updating.. 23% complete."

At least I saved the Steamapps folder this time, but I honestly don't recall anything like this level of fucking about when installing or moving Steam installs on XP.

Oh, and the updating keeps crashing. WTF? It'd be nice if they updated their fucking installer occasionally.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:25:58 AM

There are tools and info for switching that drive notification. I guess it's too late now, though.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 08:28:41 AM

I would think at this point that you have some other issue. Steam is crashing, your new hard drive is dying, etc. Were you wearing the skins of 12 cats and holding a glass rod while doing the computer build? Is there a Van de Graaff generator running in your closet?

I mean, no one else here seems to have had the steam install issues you're having on Win7.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 09:41:27 AM

I just reinstalled steam a couple weeks back around the beginning of the month on Win 7 64 bit, and had no issues.  Been re-downloading various games, and installing the new ones I've bought the last 2 weeks, also with no issues.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 03:05:50 PM

There are tools and info for switching that drive notification. I guess it's too late now, though.

I found a page on the official steam forums that explained the process. Do you have a link in case this happens again next time this happens to me?  Ohhhhh, I see.

I would think at this point that you have some other issue. Steam is crashing, your new hard drive is dying, etc. Were you wearing the skins of 12 cats and holding a glass rod while doing the computer build? Is there a Van de Graaff generator running in your closet?
I mean, no one else here seems to have had the steam install issues you're having on Win7.

The reinstall is working now. I'm hoping that the crashes while updating were just due to Steam servers being pounded + shitty Australian internet being poiunded now that the kids and everyone else are out of school and work. Despite the aneurysm, I'm also glad that that drive died within 2 days of getting the PC, and not a month in or something. Won't be able to get it swapped out for almost 2 weeks, though, due to holidays.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 06:51:23 PM

I used to have huge problems with Steam on my Win7 machine that would cause my system to crash. Turned out I had some faulty RAM and a bad PSU.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 07:06:29 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 04:08:51 PM

sooooo... after a few days of working smoothly, I can load up steam, but it won't actually run any games today. Just freezes up and I have to kill it.  swamp poop

Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 05:07:01 PM

Intermittent problems like that make me think its a hardware issue, probably having something to do with heat (or a conflict with something you changed recently on the system).
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 05:52:19 PM

sooooo... after a few days of working smoothly, I can load up steam, but it won't actually run any games today. Just freezes up and I have to kill it.  swamp poop

Its not them its you for sure.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 07:48:09 PM

35% of Steam users are on Win7. It's a pretty well warn path by now.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 09:10:28 PM

Windows 7 64 bit with steam on three different computers. Not a single issue.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 10:36:17 PM

Sometimes after a reboot on my win7 box Steam hangs on start, doesn't redraw, etc.  Killing it and restarting it once or twice seems to get everything working and then it's fine until the next time I restart the box.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 01:39:08 AM

Might still be the servers getting pounded or something. I gave up on TF2 after a few tries but eventually got BF2 working with no issues, so put a couple hours into that today over a couple of sessions.

Just checked TF2. Got it working first try. Looks like I missed out on all of the bonus crap, as it's officially time for me to watch a movie with the wife. Oh well.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam + Win7 = eurgh  
Jump to: