Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:20:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Monday Night Combat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monday Night Combat  (Read 6362 times)
Astorax
Contributor

on: December 16, 2010, 05:52:29 PM

http://www.uberent.com/

I was PISSED when this was an xbox live arcade only game...but bless those Uberentertainment folks, they're bringin it to Steam next month.  Prospero and I got the chance to play a bit of this at PAX this year and even on the XBox (I HATE HATE HATE fps games on console) it was a really good time.  Price is right for pre-order at like, 14 bucks.

GO BUY IT FOOS!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:53:17 AM

Pre-order gets you beta access. It's still rough around the edges and the server browser is confusing when detailing the server population, but otherwise it's lots of fun.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:11:56 AM

Looks a lot like tf2 reskinned. Am I missing something?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:57:03 AM

From what I understand, the game plays completely differently and is actually supposed to be pretty good.

Maybe it's just the break I need from TF2 while TF2's cash shop clusterfuck settles down... If it ever does.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:44:49 AM

From what I understand, the game plays completely differently and is actually supposed to be pretty good.

Maybe it's just the break I need from TF2 while TF2's cash shop clusterfuck settles down... If it ever does.

Pos here with how it is if you get around to it.  I was totally turned off of TF by the mann conomy update and am always on the lookout for a good shooter.
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:50:37 AM

So, the gameplay is like if you crossed TF2 (the class system, the cartoony graphic feel, the comedic byplay, etc) with DotA/LoL/HoN.

Basically, the two teams have their own base with the "moneyball".  The moneyball is protected by shields that can only be broken by robots that spawn from your own moneyball and blindly follow a track path to the other base.  As players, you kill enemy players and blow up enemy robots to push the line of your own robots into the enemy base.  There are points of interest around the arena where you can setup turrets, push enemy players off the edges, etc.  Each class has two weapons, and a grenade/trap/support type item.  Each ability can be upgraded up to a 3rd level as you get money for kills and destroying robots.

The main map is kind of like a gigantic circle with the bots followin tracks along the outside of the circle.

It looks like it just patched and I haven't tried the patch, but pre-patch the multiplayer was crashing quite a bit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 12:05:24 PM

No servers :(
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 12:54:40 PM

Patch fixed a lot of the UI issues I had. Can successfully pick a server and not wonder if it's full or not.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 05:10:15 PM

So, the gameplay is like if you crossed TF2 (the class system, the cartoony graphic feel, the comedic byplay, etc) with DotA/LoL/HoN.

So is it FPS, or top-down?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:16:31 PM

FPS
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 12:28:28 PM

I bought it, it is great fun, playing anything but an Assasin (squishy stealth melee) takes a lot of skill/practice/knowledge.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 12:58:56 PM

3rd Person I thought. I remember seeing a video for this awhile back and thinking it was interesting. I had just played Lead and Gold tho at the time and recalled how much that didn't live up to the fun it looked like it would be, so I opted out from buying this.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 09:09:33 AM

Game looks like fun.  I really wish that I didn't suck so much at twitch games.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 06:08:56 AM

Game looks like fun.  I really wish that I didn't suck so much at twitch games.

It's not as twitch as you might think. There are a lot of skills you can use that don't require you to be 15 again.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 12:39:34 PM

This is free this weekend. Check it out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/63200/
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 08:23:22 PM

Though due to map design, sniper actually requires MORE twitch, I think.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 09:50:56 PM

Drops connection 10 seconds after joining a server everytime. I don't know if it's too much on the server due to the free weekend or what. So did not get to play this more thoroughly today as I hoped.

Solid and polished gameplay for those who want to play TF2 but have developed a gag reflex for hats. Definitely a team-game though since solo gets boring pretty fast, but getting into a game with friends is very difficult. No "switch teams" button. Not even a spectator mode? And there's only this much of getting killed by invisible facestabbing ninjas who are quite certainly female you can take before it gets old.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 10:11:09 PM

No "switch teams" button.
You can select a team colour at the beginning of each round. But so can the others, makes pub-stomping more difficult, but depending on how many friends you have to get together, it should work out.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 03:49:06 PM

I guess I never managed to stay on a server long enough to witness this magical switch teams option.

Saying this game is "similar to Dota" doesn't do justice with the current state of actually getting into a game and trying to hold on to it. I spent more time today on the loading screen or a disconnected game watching robots walk off a cliff then on the one round I did manage to play through.

Verdict: fun when it works.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 08:08:09 PM

I didn't find the fun in this. It might have been that I struggled with the controls a tiny bit too much or something.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 10:32:54 AM

75% off today, $3.75.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 06:16:09 PM

For less than 4 bucks I couldn't pass this up.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Monday Night Combat  
Jump to: