Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2020, 01:34:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 233586 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1400 on: May 27, 2020, 11:35:33 AM

Weather is 50/50 for launch currrently. Scheduled for 4:30 PM Eastern Time.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1401 on: May 27, 2020, 11:59:34 AM

Watching the suit up feed like

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1402 on: May 27, 2020, 12:55:08 PM

Heh. I wasn't planning on watching the whole four hour thing, but here I am.

And I loved how Bob(?) just got in and sat down in the capsule ahead of schedule.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1403 on: May 27, 2020, 03:30:26 PM

Annnd the expected scrub due to weather.

Try again Saturday 3:22 EDT.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1404 on: May 27, 2020, 03:36:57 PM

So close, just another 10 minutes might have been enough.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1405 on: May 30, 2020, 01:58:50 PM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1406 on: May 30, 2020, 02:58:58 PM

Success!!!!   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Nice to see positive advancements for humanity live after months of 2020.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1407 on: May 30, 2020, 04:25:31 PM

I was proud to be an American again, at least for a little while.

I watched the first shuttle launch with my grandfather, this launch took me right back to those days of hope for a better future.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1408 on: May 30, 2020, 04:35:14 PM

When Doug said "Let's light this candle!" I got chills.  I wonder if anyone also said "Shepard's Prayer" at some point.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 04:37:51 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1409 on: May 31, 2020, 09:21:27 AM

First launch I have watched in decades.  Just needed something positive.  Rocket looked cool as shit, spacesuits looked like B movie leftovers.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1410 on: May 31, 2020, 01:36:30 PM

First launch I have watched in decades.  Just needed something positive.  Rocket looked cool as shit, spacesuits looked like B movie leftovers.
Which is still an improvement over the dopey old utilitarian suits with no style at all.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1411 on: June 03, 2020, 06:08:39 PM

Trump's official YouTube account released a "Make space great again" video about US leadership in space.

It opens with an image of an "astronaut" wearing the European Space Agency’s logo and flag patch.

why so serious? why so serious?

https://youtu.be/nSexGgpihE0

And since it uses a Trump speech, all the inspirational narration is a mess:

"into that forbidden skys, but they won't be forbidden for long"

"what you are doing has been incredible, but it will be even more incredible, far more incredible"

"we are Americans and the future belongs totally to us"

The video cribs heavily from SpaceX footage. Since it's not a NASA or even White House production, but a straight out advertisement - "Paid for by  by Donald J. Trump for President, Inc." -  this is more than a bit dodgy. I wonder if SpaceX will react.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1412 on: June 03, 2020, 06:10:55 PM

I wonder if SpaceX will react.

Musk is a Randian shithead.

So his response will probably be "Thanks, Mr President!"

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1413 on: June 06, 2020, 01:36:27 PM

And speaking of that Randian shithead, I'm a few days late but since we just had the tenth anniversary of the first Falcon 9 flight it might be time for a short retrospective.

That's the first successful Falcon 9 launch with a boilerplate Dragon on top. Purely a Demo, the Dragon was not designed to separate from the second stage. There was an attempt to recover the first stage using parachutes, but that was an utter failure.

Fast forward a few (ten) years, and here we have the most recent Demo, but this one delivered astronauts Bob Behnken and Douglas Hurley to the ISS, re-establishing the US's manned spaceflight capability after an eight year gap. Plus they recovered the booster, which has become somewhat routine -- notwithstanding SpaceX's recent two in a row failure.

Lots has happened in between. Just a quick rundown led off by this chart showing the development of the Falcon family, especially the jump in size from V1.0 to 1.1. Total thrust and payload for the Block 5 is over double the first version.

In the past ten years SpaceX has refined numerous rocket technologies and procedures, including many thought impractical, uneconomical, or just downright impossible. The list includes hypersonic retropropulsion, sub-cooled propellant, return to launch site vertical landing, barge landing, first stage reuse of a vertically launched rocket, mass satellite delivery to orbit, and fairing recovery (final tally is still up in the air on that one though).

Some stats:

85 total Falcon 9 missions, with 83 successes (97.64%)

3 out of 3 Falcon Heavy missions

30 out of 30 Block 5 mission successes.

53 successful booster landings out of 63 tries (84.12%) with 19 out of 21 of the Block 5.

36 booster reuses, with 5 being the max individual reuse so far.

ISS cargo successfully sent: ~45 tonnes

ISS cargo returned: ~28 tonnes

(And to be fair, one Cargo Dragon splashed in the Atlantic, and I think they are still finding charred pieces of AMOS-6 around Launch Complex 40.)

NASA estimates the savings of Commercial Crew and Cargo to be upwards of 20 to 30 billion.

The Falcon 9 is the most flown current US launcher, and edging up on most reliable.

Not bad for a bunch of amateurs with bad welds.

Working off memory from one of the recent pressors so the quote may not be exact, but when Musk was asked if he had any message for all the doubters, he replied,

"I can appreciate it. I doubted we'd make it myself."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1414 on: June 06, 2020, 08:52:30 PM

This part is really a triumph, no quibbling. I appreciate SpaceX a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread  
Jump to: