Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 509384 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1260 on: March 08, 2019, 09:35:05 AM

Got to drop in and commemorate the successful round trip for SpaceX's Crew Dragon from the Earth to ISS back to spashdown. Uncrewed for this test of course, except for Ripley and Earthie.

Here is the capsule waving bye-bye to the ISS

And here it is a few hours later being winched up out of the drink.

Believe it or not that toasty thing is going to reused for the emergency abort test coming up in a few months -- after NASA and SpaceX have completely torn it apart, checked every piece, and glued it back together again. And washed it, I guess.

According to NASA's commercial crew program manager the Dragon held up even better than expected. The chutes did not tangle (although honestly they were frighteningly jostling around), nor did the capsule start spinning uncontrollably during re-entry.

Next up on the much watch list, Boeing's Starliner hopefully later this year. If both these things can be fully crew rated we'll have three separate systems to get people up and down from LEO (Soyuz is the third, of course).
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1261 on: April 04, 2019, 10:02:48 AM

Lot of things happening at once in New Space this week:

Beresheet made lunar orbit! Woot! Landing scheduled the 11th, but this is already historic, and much further than I was willing to bet it would get.

With a mighty SQUOONK SpaceX lit a fire under their water tower, starting an immediate neckbeard argument over whether this was the first operational flight of a Full Flow Staged Combustion engine or not (landing legs are tethered down, so calling it a "flight" or even a "hop" might be overstating it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vfiM10lc1M

Linkspace, a "private" Chinese firm tested out their own lander:

And of course Falcon Heavy is ready to make it's second flight (of the type, not the second flight for the rocket -- nice we have to make that distinction now) on Sunday, assuming it doesn't blow up the pad during its hotfire test today, or that they don't forget to load it on the truck to take it to the launch site.

So, hey hey hey,

Respect the renegades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbWPeNrxFs
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1262 on: April 07, 2019, 02:18:27 PM

This looks so cool I had to share it.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1114611309180411905

Edit: So is there a way to embed that so it is, well, embedded like in other sites?

My page-fu seems to be weak.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:20:23 PM by Mandella »
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: April 08, 2019, 07:40:37 PM

Anyone else excited for the big press conferences this Wednesday?   First ever photographs of the event horizon of a black hole is big news!   Psyched for Wednesday.   I am also a bit puzzled though.   I am not sure how they have gotten anything new even with a virtual planet sized telescope.

https://eventhorizontelescope.org/blog/media-advisory-first-results-event-horizon-telescope-be-presented-april-10th
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:42:23 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1264 on: April 09, 2019, 08:47:16 AM

Obligatory xkcd:

https://xkcd.com/2133/

And yes, pretty interested what could justify all the simultaneous press conferences and all.

Not that the sciences don't need media buzz too...
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: April 09, 2019, 06:58:57 PM

I thought this video was pretty awesome at explaining what we expect to see in the 'photo' of the black hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyH3XhpLTo

Pretty crazy how you can see light from the other side of the black hole as a ring around the event horizon.

- Viin
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1266 on: April 09, 2019, 07:49:35 PM

Thanks for that link. I think I can appreciate the gravity of the announcement a little better now (okay he made the pun first).

Speaking of that, I've never watched that guy before. Are his other videos as smart and well researched as that one?
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: April 10, 2019, 12:27:48 AM

Speaking of that, I've never watched that guy before. Are his other videos as smart and well researched as that one?

Yes.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1268 on: April 10, 2019, 02:06:15 AM

Cool video.  Understandable, but mind blowing at the same time.  Although I do have a question, and hundreds of sci-fi novels have not provided the answer:  if light is being bent around from the "backside" and then becomes visible as a thin line going across the singularity.....wouldn't light be coming across from every conceivable angle, thus making the blackhole appear as a single ball of light to our scopes?  I mean, with different intensity depending on if it was moving towards you or away from you, but why would it only appear as a thin stripe?  I am missing some piece of the puzzle.  Because then a blackhole would ironically appear as anything but black.  And that would retroactively ruin my childhood.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: April 10, 2019, 02:27:50 AM

Cool video.  Understandable, but mind blowing at the same time.  Although I do have a question, and hundreds of sci-fi novels have not provided the answer:  if light is being bent around from the "backside" and then becomes visible as a thin line going across the singularity.....wouldn't light be coming across from every conceivable angle, thus making the blackhole appear as a single ball of light to our scopes?  I mean, with different intensity depending on if it was moving towards you or away from you, but why would it only appear as a thin stripe?  I am missing some piece of the puzzle.  Because then a blackhole would ironically appear as anything but black.  And that would retroactively ruin my childhood.

The answer is right in that video when you see the animation with the "light rays". I put quotes there because it's not actually light rays but for the sake of the animation your "sight rays" as in the backwards route of a photon from our eyes/telescopes to the black hole. No matter the angle you look on, it always looks like that.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1270 on: April 10, 2019, 08:07:38 AM

Yup, smudgy circle. Physics continues to work as expected.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1271 on: April 10, 2019, 08:35:32 AM

That is some awesome shit.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1272 on: April 10, 2019, 09:07:13 AM

Looks like relativity still holds up (good job Einstein!), and the predictions were spot on so far.

Astrophysicists are going to be more insufferable than ever now!

Oh, and pictures:

Edited to add: Going to be interesting to use the same technique on more black holes to see if there is any variety due to age, spin, location, etc...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:09:58 AM by Mandella »
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: April 10, 2019, 02:01:12 PM

Jesus.  It's like the eye of eternity staring at you.  ACK!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: April 10, 2019, 02:32:32 PM

A high res version is here: https://cdn.eso.org/images/large/eso1907a.jpg (there's an even higher res version available)

- Viin
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #1275 on: April 10, 2019, 07:50:08 PM

Jesus.  It's like the eye of eternity staring at you.  ACK!

It kind of reminds me of the eye of Sauron.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1276 on: April 10, 2019, 09:29:30 PM

Pfft. that thing only has a mass of 130,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilos.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: April 10, 2019, 11:50:42 PM

Pfft. that thing only has a mass of 130,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilos.

Heartbreak

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1278 on: April 11, 2019, 02:59:26 AM

Ah the cervix of the universe.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1279 on: April 11, 2019, 07:43:29 AM

Yeah, the singularity itself is only larger than our solar system and the event horizon passes out beyond the Oort cloud. NBD.  awesome, for real

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1280 on: April 11, 2019, 08:05:58 AM

Heh, yeah, was just about to post this:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: April 11, 2019, 10:20:26 AM

Solar system sized black hole getting all the attention, but this is a neat APOD from yesterday:

https://youtu.be/Ce21mE1nXaU

It's a solar eclipse from Mars with little Phobos as the eclipsing moon.

Shaping up to be a big space day. Beresheet is going to attempt its lunar landing in a few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMdUcchBYRA

And the Falcon Heavy is going to try to launch *again* (high level winds the reason for the scrub yesterday) tonight.

https://youtu.be/TXMGu2d8c8g
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: April 11, 2019, 12:31:55 PM

Well, it looks like the Beresheet decided to become an impactor probe at the last minute.

sad

The achievement by SpaceIL was still tremendous, with an ion engine powered transit from Earth to Lunar orbit being something to be proud off. But the spacecraft had several issues in transit, all of which the ground crew were able to troubleshoot given time. Unfortunately an anomaly during descent does not give time.

Following the livestream it sounded like they had an engine out during descent and got it back on but not in time.

Space remains hard.

Edited to add in its last selfie:

And no, obviously you shouldn't take a selfie while driving...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:46:15 PM by Mandella »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1283 on: April 11, 2019, 03:45:51 PM

Watching the two side cores of the Falcon Heavy land back simultaneously will never get old to me.

They landed the center core too for the first time.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1284 on: April 11, 2019, 05:47:08 PM

That was also the longest flight/hottest re-entry of any booster recovered too. And all using hypersonic retropropulsion and water cooling rather than traditional heat shielding.

Alas, this booster will almost certainly not be re-used, but torn down and destructively examined since they didn't get a chance to do so with the first one. Side boosters should be good to go for the next Heavy launch in June though.

Edit to include a pic:

The SpaceX streaming team (all actual engineers) at the end of a "Completely Norminal Day."

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:59:36 PM by Mandella »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: April 16, 2019, 02:28:44 PM

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1286 on: April 16, 2019, 07:10:24 PM

I love the fact that the mice basically engineered their own centrifuge by running in circles around the cage...

It's also interesting to me how, notwithstanding long term biological issues, pretty much every living thing we've exposed to micro gravity has adapted fairly quickly, from mice to spiders.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1287 on: April 17, 2019, 09:13:38 AM

Multiple Video shots of a meteor burning up and disintegrating over Russia. Pretty cool, to me at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mrwXtAED0E

Hic sunt dracones.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1288 on: April 25, 2019, 04:35:54 PM

Just wanted to post a pretty picture of the latest design for Dreamchaser cargo, still progressing nicely.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2019/04/dream-chaser-progress-crs2-snc-crew-version-alive/

And what is somewhat surprising from that article is the news that Dreamchaser Crew is still alive, and is even "unofficially" supported by NASA (in that Sierra Nevada Corporation is still working on it on their own dime and without a contract, but in close association with NASA agents).

Considering SpaceX's bad week and Boeing's bad year, it's good to hear they are still in the race.

Personal opinion: I do think that they got shafted back a few years ago by not being chosen in the final round of Commercial Crew, and am really happy to see that they are persevering and have a good chance of flying.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1289 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:00 AM

Thanks for keeping the thread alive while I am taking a holiday from space. Didn't reply, but read all your recent posts with interest. And I am sure so did others.

Re DC: There is also the Dc4eu project with the aim of flying Dream Chaser on Ariane 6 as kind of LEO microgravity lab. Altough there haven't been any news about for over a year.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: April 26, 2019, 09:46:08 AM

No mention of the SpaceX “anomaly” before a pad test of their crew module even started? The one where the entire thing exploded and was completely destroyed before they turned the engines on?

The fact that SpaceX has basically gotten away with underplaying what was much bigger than an “anomaly” because no one in the press is willing to question their assertions annoys the piss out of me.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1291 on: April 26, 2019, 09:51:23 AM

No mention of the SpaceX “anomaly” before a pad test of their crew module even started? The one where the entire thing exploded and was completely destroyed before they turned the engines on?

The fact that SpaceX has basically gotten away with underplaying what was much bigger than an “anomaly” because no one in the press is willing to question their assertions annoys the piss out of me.

I didn't want to start a discussion. But yeah, it's a serious issue. Exploding at 8 seconds before the test is uh. It's possible, but to early to say, that this was the 3rd time they had a COPV blow.

Not related to this and too long ago to remember the source, but I heard talk about some spacex engineers quitting because they were not OK with the direction of the safety culture moved (ie. it got worse). Always wondered if we would see any effect from that.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1292 on: April 26, 2019, 09:54:36 AM

Wait, where are you seeing this?  I only just started looking at this, but all the articles I'm seeing say that the event happened when they fired off 8 of the super Draco engines at once, and it had no issues right before that when testing the smaller engines.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: April 26, 2019, 10:33:35 AM

You are *definitely* not reading the same press I am -- there are definitely questions being asked.

But finger pointing is just finger pointing until the investigation into the incident is completed. Don't worry, you will get somebody to burn, and it will most certainly be SpaceX, since it is their test and their process.

Just as a side, you do know that Boeing had something of the same issue last year, and much of the reason for the Starliner delay, right? They just managed to not do their test out in the open where everybody could see.

And no, I am not saying that to clear SpaceX, but to make the point that I didn't jump on Boeing when whatever happened to their hydrazine powered thrusters happened. There was a problem, they accounted for it, and now it is fixed (I hope).

The real issue is that once again the US's crewed return to space will be delayed, forcing the continued reliance on the increasingly unreliable Soyuz fleet. It's bad when any of the contenders have a setback, and personally I find it distasteful to join the feeding frenzy of blame whenever it happens, and instead rather focus on the successful efforts to move forward. Heck, I don't even rail against the SLS here (much), and that is certainly deserving of complaint.

Just a different attitude, and I certainly understand it is not a universal, or even popular one.

Edited to add in a couple of articles on the anomaly:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2019/04/spacexs-crew-dragon-spacecraft-anomaly-static-fire-testing/

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/nasa-safety-panel-offers-more-detail-on-dragon-anomaly-urges-patience/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:38:32 AM by Mandella »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1294 on: April 26, 2019, 10:40:13 AM

Sure, but can you link me one of these pressers?  I'm not seeing that in my random googling so I'd really like to see another source of information to get a better idea of this.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread  
Jump to: