Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:19:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Ionia vs. Noxus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ionia vs. Noxus  (Read 9255 times)
Kail
Terracotta Army

on: December 02, 2010, 06:53:08 PM

Anyone plan on watching this?  It's interesting for me as a chronic lore nerd to see companies putting their storylines in the hands of their players.

For anyone not paying attention, there's going to be a special "official" battle on Dec. 10 to determine the storyline fate of Ionia, currently occupied (partially) by Noxus.  5v5 battle (SR presumably) with preset champs on either side:

Ionia gets Irelia, Akali, Kennen, Shen, Yi, Ashe, Udyr, Soraka, Amumu and Ezreal.

Noxus gets Kat, Vlad, Singed, Morgana, Shaco, LeBlanc, Kog, Sion, Rammus and Miss Fortune.

One ban per team, one game.  Minor swag for the winners (IP, RP, some unannounced prize revealed on Dec. 7), some champions for the winning side go on sale for everyone.

Any thoughts on the match?  I'm thinking Ionia kinda looks like they've got the upper hand with tanks (Shen and Amumu) and CC (Kennen, Amumu again, Ashe).  Meanwhile Noxus is playing with a bunch of fairly mediocre characters (Katarina, LeBlanc) and seriously nerfed characters (Morgana, Vladimir).
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:04:12 PM

Pre-patch I would of said Noxus easily has a better line-up, but I don't know how everything stacks up now.

I'm thinking Akali, Kennan, Shen, Ashe, Amumu vs. Vlad, Morg, Kog, Rammus, Fortune

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 06:01:39 AM

Ionia gets Irelia, Akali, Kennen, Shen, Yi, Ashe, Udyr, Soraka, Amumu and Ezreal.

Noxus gets Kat, Vlad, Singed, Morgana, Shaco, LeBlanc, Kog, Sion, Rammus and Miss Fortune.

I'll pick six for both sides, I'll indicate which champ I'd ban if I was on the opposing side with an (x).  Then I'll try to guess how the early game matchup works out (top and bottom are a coin flip).  I'll assume that the players are even from a skill perspective.  Note: I'm a scrub-level player, just tossing this out here to try to taunt Hoax into telling me how he'd think it would go.

Ionia: Udyr, Kennen, Shen, Ashe, Amumu (x), Yi

Noxus: Vlad, Morgana, Kog, Sion, Rammus (x), MF  (really torn on whether to ban Vlad or Rammus, going with Rammus because of cc)

Top: Yi versus Vlad
Mid: Ashe versus Kog
Bottom: Kennen + Shen versus Morgana + MF
Jungle: Udyr versus Sion

Is how I think it will go, although it would probably be smarter for team Noxus to put Vlad in mid because he's so much more unkillable then Kog, who seems like they would have trouble with a strong jungler - the nerf to runspeed doesn't help this any.

Early game advantage goes to Ionia because Udyr is just so good in the jungle.  Yi has trouble with Vlad, which balances this a bit.

Late-game I think it comes down to how well Ionia's Shen and Ashe work together - AE taunt followed up with AE stun (neither of which are super-difficult to pull off) is going to be hard to beat.  Noxus just doesn't have the same caliber of AE CC after the removal of Rammus.  Burst potential seems kind of balanced.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:07:06 AM

Once you guys started talking likely bans, everything started looking much, much nicer for Ionia.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:05:27 PM

I still favor Noxus character-wise, but that's just my opinion.  awesome, for real  Got a chance to play Morg last night.  She's still really strong, she wasn't nerfed that bad at all.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 08:14:35 PM

I'll be shocked if Ionia wins.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:59:54 PM

Ionia wins!

What a spanking, holy shit.  Ionia didn't lose a single tower, won in kills 24 to Noxus' 3, controlled dragon, generally kicked ass.  Bans were Rammus and Shen.  Ionia's Udyr was a fucking beast, no pun intended, basically chasing the entire Noxian team by himself towards the end of the game.  Ouch.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 07:05:29 PM

Replay?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 07:48:30 PM

Not seeing one yet, their stream is glitching out on me.  Supposed to be
http://www.own3d.tv/video/46510/Riot_Games_High_Definition_Stream__id_8624__Archive__2010-12-10_23_32_54_-_23_33_17_
I think.

Only other video of it I'm finding is a few "highligts" reels, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fs5wn0URAg

Edit:
Found the actual replay link, sorry:
http://www.own3d.tv/user/riotgames#/watch/46533
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:43:32 PM by Kail »
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 09:50:13 PM

Well, that was an absolute curbstomp. The requisite oriental kingdom wins!
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 07:52:42 AM

Wow, what a rape.  Made me realize too i didn't consider something when I was looking at teams enough as well -

Ashe - Slow and Stun
Udyr - Bear Stun
Amumu- Bandage and Ult
Kennen - Stun master?
Soraka - Good silence

vs

Sion - Ranged stun
Vlad - Nothing
Morg - Binding
Fortune - A small aoe slow
Singed - Slow and Flip

hope they get someone better at streaming next time though, he was all over the place with his view.  Personaly I think Singed over Kog was a mistake, but then again it is a tanky meta.  Also, was it just me or did it seems like everyone was using HP runes?  The starting health bars seemed pretty big...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:56:10 AM by Thrawn »

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:53 AM

Most people do use HP quints.

Also yeah totally one-sided.  A ban on Rammus is really disruptive as it takes out one of the best tanks and junglers in the game, I don't think any ban Ionia could face would've been as bad.  Running Sion over Shaco for jungler seemed like a strange move, and it clearly didn't work out.  Flash popped his cryptic gaze every time he tried to gank so he just got too far behind.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 04:39:47 PM

the announcer who was roleplaying in character as though he was in the game world made me mute the replay.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 06:27:05 PM

Game lore, lol  swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 06:32:48 PM

the announcer who was roleplaying in character as though he was in the game world made me mute the replay.

True that.

Bob: ".. the previous match, since it ended so quickly, there were some accusations by Ionia that-"
Phreak: "Can I cut you off for a second, here Bob?  Because it looks like OHHHMORGANAWITHTHEDARKBINDING CANTHEYGETUDYRDOWN NOTHEYCANNOTSINGEDNOW TRYINGTOGETINRANGE CANHEMAKEITCANHENO SORAKAFLASHESOUT aaand gets away... wow.  So, anyways, the previous match?"
Bob: "Er, yes, anyway, the previous match, some accusations of foul play by Noxus..."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 09:05:37 PM

I tried watching the replay. What was this event, I don't understand. Was it supposed to be a competitive match between teams or some weird lore thing?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 09:22:41 PM

CITIZENS OF THE WORLD HATH GATHERED IN TAVERNS ACROSS THE LAND
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 09:23:42 PM

Was it supposed to be a competitive match between teams or some weird lore thing?

Both, kind of.  A competitive match (there were minor prizes for the winners, and all the players were fairly highly ranked) but with the outcome determining the outcome of a lore conflict.  The "main" announcer is Phreak, who comments on a lot of their matches, and the others are (I think) all the lore guys from Riot, who decided to go "in character" I guess...
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 12:23:50 AM

FORSOOTH, 'TIS APPEARING THAT ONE OF THE SUMMONERS HATH CASTED THY "LIGHTNING BOLTE"
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 01:00:46 AM

I like jungling, is Udyr a good buy for someone who usually plays warwick? I'm short 50 points of Riot's fun money though.  Heartbreak
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 01:10:18 AM

I like jungling, is Udyr a good buy for someone who usually plays warwick? I'm short 50 points of Riot's fun money though.  Heartbreak

Udyr is very good but certainly much harder to play than Warwick.  But he's pretty insane when played well, you just can't kill him and he tower dives like the tower doesn't even exist.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 01:10:50 AM

buy him and use locket on him before riot nerfs the shit out of it.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 08:56:31 AM

Udyr has very active gameplay, during a fight you should be switching (or thinking of switching) stances every second or two.  A just-used stance has a cooldown of 3 or 4 seconds.  I find this more fun than - press three buttons as quickly as you can and now wait ten seconds for part of your combo to be back up.  He also has just about every trick you can imagine (run speed burst, attack speed burst, stun, shield, health/mana regen, AoE damage).

It's pretty clear that tanky is the best build for him right now (no shit, right?).  As Sam mentioned, locket is very good on him but it's getting nerfed (hard).  DPS build is too fragile at this point.  They are talking about bumping tiger again, it might be possible to burst with something like Tiger via Triforce, and live through the aftermath with turtle and bear (that would be a tank + AD build).
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:18 AM

Go into bear stance, wade into a team fight and stun everyone!  awesome, for real

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 07:01:37 AM

I have been playing Udyr and really like him. He is not the easiest guy to master, but is quite versatile. I have jungling down pretty well, and then I rush locket and shroud until nerfed :) Turret diving is great with him. Still trying to get my skill order right.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Ionia vs. Noxus  
Jump to: