Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:36:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: True Grit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: True Grit  (Read 15488 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: November 17, 2010, 05:07:25 PM

I find it odd this has not been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GkAH7IUWOE

Jeff Bridges has been busy.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:33:22 PM

That actually looks decent... I don't know how I feel about it being remade though.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:58:13 PM

It's not a remake of the movie, it's a new version from the original book apparently hewing a bit closer to it. Coen brothers plus Bridges equals awesome.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:57:36 AM

Coen brothers plus Bridges equals awesome.

This. Squared.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:33:23 AM

Never saw the first true grit but this looks badass, with tron this is gonna be a jeff bridges christmas this year.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:56:42 AM

Never saw the first true grit but this looks badass, with tron this is gonna be a jeff bridges christmas this year.

And Olivia - dear sweet Olivia is in at least three coming out this season.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:03:31 PM

Jeff Bridges has a lot to live up to here. That is to say, Wayne was spectacular in the first.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:05:16 PM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 11:28:07 AM

Jeff Bridges has a lot to live up to here. That is to say, Wayne was spectacular in the first.

Wayne played the same character he always played in movies. John Wayne. All Jeff Bridges has to do is play a guy named Rooster Cogburn and he'll beat Wayne hands down.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 04:40:49 PM

Eastwood is more one-dimensional than Wayne was and I would be concerned with a retelling of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, too.

Being a good actor is more than angst and gravitas. Wayne had authority and charisma in spades. Bridges is good, but judging from the trailer it's going to be dark and pretentious. The book is a comedy and the "true grit" is a naïve assumption made by Mattie, everyone else has a fairly low opinion of Cogburn as a person and law enforcer. It's not a reflection of what he's really like as a person.

That said, I'm going to watch The Searchers. Fuck off, Wayne haters! Heart

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 05:50:43 PM

Eastwood is more one-dimensional than Wayne was and I would be concerned with a retelling of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, too.

You take that back!

Wayne is a horrible actor. Hey, another movie where a fat old guy is the dashing hero and everyone has to pretend it isn't completely ridiculous.

Also charisma is highly subjective, to me Wayne always came off as repugnant, much like his real-life persona. His acting range makes Chris Tucker's look broad by comparison. Clint Eastwood has played a wide variety of roles, yeah he is best known as The Man with No Name and Dirty Harry but he was also in Play Misty for Me, The Gauntlet, Gran Torino, Unforgiven, True Crime, etc. Maybe he didn't go from outright comedy to badass hero at the drop of a hat but he doesn't deliver the exact same one-note performance in every role.

The Searchers - yikes. Talk about overrated dreck. Horribly cinematography, horribly cheesy "classic western" score, terrible anachronistic acting all around, bizarre nonsensical cuts in time and place and a horrible sense of the passage of time. It's like the go to movie for people who don't want to admit that Italian-made westerns completely outclassed anything the US ever came up with.

Jeff Bridges is ten times the actor that John Wayne ever was. Worrying about Bridges replacing Wayne is like worrying about Meryl Streep replacing Katie Holmes in the Helen Keller Story.

Mob

Bridges is good, but judging from the trailer it's going to be dark and pretentious.

From what I've heard it's mostly lighthearted, it's just the trailer that makes it look otherwise.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 05:58:02 PM

You take that back!

Wayne is a horrible actor. Hey, another movie where a fat old guy is the dashing hero and everyone has to pretend it isn't completely ridiculous.

Also charisma is highly subjective, to me Wayne always came off as repugnant, much like his real-life persona. His acting range makes Chris Tucker's look broad by comparison. Clint Eastwood has played a wide variety of roles, yeah he is best known as The Man with No Name and Dirty Harry but he was also in Play Misty for Me, The Gauntlet, Gran Torino, Unforgiven, True Crime, etc. Maybe he didn't go from outright comedy to badass hero at the drop of a hat but he doesn't deliver the exact same one-note performance in every role.

The Searchers - yikes. Talk about overrated dreck. Horribly cinematography, horribly cheesy "classic western" score, terrible anachronistic acting all around, bizarre nonsensical cuts in time and place and a horrible sense of the passage of time. It's like the go to movie for people who don't want to admit that Italian-made westerns completely outclassed anything the US ever came up with.

Jeff Bridges is ten times the actor that John Wayne ever was. Worrying about Bridges replacing Wayne is like worrying about Meryl Streep replacing Katie Holmes in the Helen Keller Story.

Mob

Bridges is good, but judging from the trailer it's going to be dark and pretentious.

From what I've heard it's mostly lighthearted, it's just the trailer that makes it look otherwise.

luve me some Dude.  But I still have not seen the film for which he won the Oscar.

I am looking forward to this. Along with the latest Swedish version of the Girl Who....  Should be a good Dec.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:00:04 PM by Soln »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 06:45:11 PM

I can't think of a movie Jeff Bridges was in where he didn't do a great job. He should have won an award for Starman.

Edit: Of course I have no idea who his competition was that year.... awesome, for real

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 06:54:06 PM

You take that back!
Fair enough, more one-dimensional might have been an exaggeration. However, fact remains that Eastwood is popular for the roughly three faces of cured leather he excels at - the glare, the smirk and the threatening sneer. The Bridges of Madison County wasn't what made Eastwood famous. It was the three faces he had made in a dozen movies up till that point. It's also pretty much the only role someone else has ever cast him in. He only really steps away from that mold in his own productions and not even in all of those (Unforgiven and Gran Torino have pretty much the same character as the spaghettis, only older and more bitter.)

My point is that there are roles that are suited for an certain actor regardless of the actor's technical acting chops. Wayne is fantastic fun to watch as Cogburn. His otherwise one-note performances do not make that individual one a lesser one.

As to The Searchers, it happens to be the only Wayne movie I own on DVD. I'm not going to argue that it's not pretty dreadful. The Indians are like ripped from a school play. Facepalm

Finally, I don't think Bridges is going to do a bad job. It's just that his predecessor did such a great one.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:00:13 PM by Tarami »

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 07:38:22 PM

Wayne is the same as Schwarzenegger. You might not call either of them a "good actor" precisely, but there are parts that fit their one persona.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 08:13:45 PM

John Wayne was a fag....

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 08:18:34 PM

Have you seen Jeff Bridges website? http://jeffbridges.com

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 09:33:40 PM

The site's an absolute mess, but it fits him perfectly. I like it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 09:58:13 AM

Heh, he's got an image from Tron 2.0 for Tron Legacy.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 01:46:58 AM

John Wayne was a fag....

I will acknowledge the awesomeness of this.

I will also try to remember to put a christmas tree air freshener in my new car.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 08:07:16 AM

The hell he was.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 08:22:23 PM

Awesome movie.  One of the best, if not the best I've seen this year; though to be honest, this year has been a little disappointing.

Superb cast, and dialog that really grabs your attention while not being overly catchy.  A friend told me that it was a very un-Coen-like film, but I disagree.  Their fingerprints are subtle, but definitely there.  I wouldn't say that it is lighthearted, but it kept me laughing at all the right moments.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 08:31:52 PM

The original movie was balls.  It had nothing to do with John Wayne.  It was just bad.

AKA Gyoza
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 11:24:04 PM

I thought it was great as well, and surprisingly hysterical in parts.   Never saw the original, don't see the need to.  Just a good, straightforward movie with memorable characters and great dialogue (though some may require additional viewings to decipher the mumblings).  Also probably a good family movie, if your family is accustomed to a bit of blood & violence.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 03:10:38 PM

Magnificent.

Period dialogue and environment were supremely well-realized, and the particulars of the plot are crafted well enough to allow a fun and complex set of characters space to show their chops. The Coens give even their bit parts a lot of room to shine, and the audience gets a charming (if occasionally brutal) vacation in the 1870's. I'll be recommending it to everyone.

The film does not dwell on gore, but there are a few shocks, some corpses, and some blood. I'd say it's about as kid friendly as Indiana Jones.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 03:42:53 PM

That's a very good point, and I think that the movie isn't well served by its trailers, which depict it as a dark and gritty western.  In reality it's a PG-13 movie that I could easily see some maturer kids enjoying.  Even mature kids are going to have trouble deciphering the dialogue, however.  Actually, my fiancee is holding off on seeing it because she isn't a native English speaker and without subtitles she'd be pretty lost; not only due to the accents, but the antiquated words and phrases.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 07:33:42 PM

Caught a matinee showing today, and I thought it was an excellent film, one of the Coen brothers best.

And anyone who tries to tell me that the John Wayne version was better deserves a Rodney King style beating. I saw it when I was a kid (on TV a few years after its theater release) and re-watched the other evening when it was on TCM. Have not read the original novel, but the John Wayne flick was just a vehicle for him to play a sappy ham.

Good review which I concur with here:

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 09:03:49 PM

Simply superb. The best movie I have seen in a long long time.
Amazing acting and an outstanding script.

Two thumbs up.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 12:02:40 PM

What if my wife hates Westerns?

I have never played WoW.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 01:03:51 PM

What if my wife hates Westerns?

She will like this. Two women attended with me. They both loved it. The girl is the star of the movie and is portrayed ala the book as an incredibly intelligent and strong young lady.
And its got lots of laughs with just enough shooting to make guys like me go "ooooooh".
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 03:38:37 PM

Saw it. Loved it. Good flick.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 01:44:30 PM

It’s the language that David Milch, with an overload of barroom pyrotechnics, could only approximate in Deadwood–and even without the curse words, I’d take Mattie Ross in a verbal showdown with Ian McShane’s Al Swearengen.

Not a chance. She didn't say cocksucker ONCE!

Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Had a strange pace to it though- felt hurried in some places (especially the denouement), but almost glacial in others. There were a couple of scenes where I almost missed John Wayne (mostly when Rooster was bragging about himself, which was something at which Wayne seemed a natural), but overall Bridges was awesome, as was the rest of the cast. Would have liked to see a more fleshed out relationship between Chaney and the rest of the gang, and perhaps some exposition regarding Rooster's previous run-ins with the rest of the gang.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 01:48:42 PM

I really want to see this but am hesitant for fear of constant comparisons to the classic.  I'm not a John Wayne fan, but find myself making comparisons while just watching the trailers. 

Have any of you seen this that managed to avoid this?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 03:33:37 PM

I really want to see this but am hesitant for fear of constant comparisons to the classic.  I'm not a John Wayne fan, but find myself making comparisons while just watching the trailers. 

After seeing the remake, I was surprised by how unnecessary of a movie it is. Yes, it's a very well done film. Yes, the acting is quite good. But overall, it didn't need to be remade. I think I would've been happier with an original story.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 03:44:01 PM

After seeing the remake, I was surprised by how unnecessary of a movie it is. Yes, it's a very well done film. Yes, the acting is quite good. But overall, it didn't need to be remade. I think I would've been happier with an original story.

Eh, totally disagree.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:10 PM

Yes. Saw original John Wayne version but its been a decade or more. Only comparison I made was that this one wasnt a John Wayne film.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: True Grit  
Jump to: