Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Emergent to sell Gamebryo and the rest of its assets 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Emergent to sell Gamebryo and the rest of its assets  (Read 3232 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: November 16, 2010, 06:54:26 AM

If you've played Fallout 3 or Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Also Warhammer + 300+ games), you're actually familiar with Gamebryo, even if you don't know it. It's a studio owned by Emergent Game Technologies, crafting middleware tech for tons of companies like Bethesda and Square Enix, whose biggest claim to fame is its Gamebryo Lightspeed engine, used in "over 350 games so far." And today the studio, along with the rest of Emergent's properties, including its IP (whole or in part), were put up for sale.

Link.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 07:16:09 AM

Any idea what their business model was with the engine? If you license the engine for Oblivion and Fallout 3 I would assume you'd make some money from royalties.

With Torque also gone, who's next? Unity?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:18:35 AM by nurtsi »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:25:35 AM

Torque isn't gone, only their InstantAction system (that allows Torque to run in a web browser)  (maybe?  Their press release is confusing).

Also, sure Fallout and Oblivion used Gamebryo, but those were all made by the same company.  I'm not aware of too many games using that engine outside of Bethesda, and a game engine company can't be that profitable with only one company using their engine.  Also, the Unreal Engine is getting more and more widespread usage.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:30:51 AM by KallDrexx »
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:34:56 AM

Civ 4 used Gamebryo.  Also, Warhammer Online and Epic Mickey. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:59:55 AM

Gamebryo was never really an indi solution. Costs way to much.

Torque isn't gone, only their InstantAction system (that allows Torque to run in a web browser)  (maybe?  Their press release is confusing).

IA is dead, and Torque Tech is up for sale.

Also, sure Fallout and Oblivion used Gamebryo, but those were all made by the same company.  I'm not aware of too many games using that engine outside of Bethesda, and a game engine company can't be that profitable with only one company using their engine.  Also, the Unreal Engine is getting more and more widespread usage.

and about 300 or so more.

http://www.emergent.net/en/Clients/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:03:25 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:44:43 PM

IA is dead, and Torque Tech is up for

I guess I missed how garage games got bought by IA or something
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Emergent to sell Gamebryo and the rest of its assets  
Jump to: