Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 02:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Usefully Cynical Commentary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Usefully Cynical Commentary  (Read 3272 times)
Ardent
Terracotta Army

on: January 30, 2005, 11:24:59 PM

The key phrase in F13's logo is not "cynical".

It's "usefully".

I have forgotten that on many occasions, and instead of constructive insights or sly humor, I sometimes cross over into just plain meanspirited. It doesn't make me feel like a good person when I do it, it's just that sometimes I get carried away in the wash of negativity that sometimes overcomes this place.

For that, I apologize.

I realize that nobody cares, I just couldn't get to sleep tonight without saying it.

Um, never mind.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 11:27:21 PM

I care, and pretty soon moderation is going to get heavier and heavier until the noise ratio goes way down. It's gotten a little silly lately.

And Ardent, thanks for saying that before someone said it to you.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 11:28:14 PM

Amen.

Bruce
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 03:22:37 AM

As long as I can say shit, fuck, piss, and a heartfelt "Fuck You" from time to time, I don't mind "heavy" moderation...Relatively speaking.

And by that I only mean, sure, it'd be a good thing by making it more "people friendly" around here. Just try not to make it "family friendly" please. Bad language isn't necessarily indicative of bad behavior. Nor is fierce debate.

Of course, it's your site, and I'm not trying to say what you should do or anything. I'm just saying...

Quote from: Ardent
I realize that nobody cares, I just couldn't get to sleep tonight without saying it.

I'm not saying that your post isn't admirable, but it needs to be said: Don't even sweat it. I'm not even sure what you in particular would have to feel guilty about, but seriously (and I know it's a chiche): It's the Internet. Get some sleep.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 05:19:40 AM

Aww... this thread is making me all misty.  

I forgive you all! :)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 05:29:49 AM

Quote from: Stray
As long as I can say shit, fuck, piss, and a heartfelt "Fuck You" from time to time, I don't mind "heavy" moderation...Relatively speaking.

And by that I only mean, sure, it'd be a good thing by making it more "people friendly" around here. Just try not to make it "family friendly" please. Bad language isn't necessarily indicative of bad behavior. Nor is fierce debate.

Of course, it's your site, and I'm not trying to say what you should do or anything. I'm just saying...

I agree!  I don't mind "adult" language and enjoy good debates, but personal attacks on people or being disrespectful to others takes it too far in my opinion.  If you aren't going to be nice, at least be respectful works 99% of the time.  

Anyway, I think most lurkers/women/others don't post on these sites because they don't want to deal with the shit (feeling much more comfortable in a heavily moderated place).  Either that or they want to remain anonymous.  ;)

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 05:52:21 AM

Goddamnit.. what's with the sudden wave of yet more avatar changes?  Is this a weekly thing for some of you?

(yeah I know, I've changed mine half a dozen times in the last couple months so I can't really talk)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 06:08:28 AM

There are certain threads that I avoid when particular people get involved.  This is why I rarely post in political or religious threads.  I have opinions on these subjects but I don't bother expressing them on f13, for the most part.  Several people here have strong opinions which they express aggressively and nearly always make it a bit too personal.   They don't so much discuss as attack.  I don't even know how to respond to that sort of post style.  

I generally apologise if I think someone has taken what I say too seriously.  I may be a bit stroppy, but I am usually good natured... even during those nico and caff deprived moments.  I think it's sweet that you couldn't sleep until you apologised... it makes me like you better! ;)

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 06:15:54 AM

Quote from: Ardent
The key phrase in F13's logo is not "cynical".

It's "usefully".

Not to be a killjoy on your good attitude, but what exactly are the posts that go up on these boards supposed to be used for (... in order to be useful...)?

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 06:37:47 AM

Enlightenment!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 06:45:24 AM

Yeah, I've gotten caught up in the defensive game before. It sucks, and I should know better than to take things personally. So I won't.

Also, the noise has gone up a good bit, so heavier moderation would be good. The derails were getting out of hand.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 08:34:09 AM

That is true, and it's something that needs moderating to curtail. I never used to derail too often but it's an easy thing to catch if no-one is actively stopping it. And the flamewars of course are the biggest kind of derail.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 08:50:05 AM

Quote from: Stray

All we are saying, is....

Fuck you!
And the dog you rode in on.

Actually, if you look at Schilds posting record here I don't think you should be afraid that adult language and the occasionally heartfelt 'fuck you' will be verboten in the future - at least that would make him the worlds greatest hypocrite.

I think I know what he means, but it's not my place to interpret him.
I don't really mind the attacks around here, but a bit more 'usefull' and a little less 'cynical' couldn't hurt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 08:56:01 AM

Derails will be taken care of in a more timely manner.

Shit like plummerx and windurst will be taken care of in a more aggressive manner.

Basically, yes, it's January. Yes, there isn't much debate to be had right now. And yes, there isn't much frontpage content at the moment because we're dealing with more important stuff on the backend (Haemish, Shockeye and myself have been working on it).

Yes, we're hoping for a bit more 'useful.' Less 'cynical' isn't necessary. Less 'noise' is though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 09:29:44 AM

I think if this site were to try to go "Family friendly" it would do it without me. Because if I couldn't call someone like Windurst a pigfucker, I think my brain would explode.

You can call someone a pigfucker without it being an attack on their sexual persuasion. It's just that some people don't take ribald ribbing very well. Also, some people really do fuck pigs and deserve to be called on it.

I will end this post with a probably paraphrased Oscar Wilde quote: "People who are easily offended, should be. Often."

Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 09:42:36 AM

Thank you, it was about time for a new sig-line.

^_^
Snowspinner
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 10:00:47 AM

Quote from: schild
I care, and pretty soon moderation is going to get heavier and heavier until the noise ratio goes way down. It's gotten a little silly lately.

Because we all know that ramping up the Stalinization works and gains you meaningful respect from your posters.

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story, reverence and glory, when I go
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 10:13:27 AM

Quote from: Snowspinner

Because we all know that ramping up the Stalinization works and gains you meaningful respect from your posters.

Nah, I figure it's just going to be threads locked faster when they get out of hand, rather than bans and such for being anything other than a raging dickhead.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 10:37:08 AM

Quote from: Snowspinner

Holy Lord, I agree with Snowspinner. Someone keep an eye out for a pale horse.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 10:39:45 AM

There's always the option of having a forum designated for the stupid, like the old "Where things go to die" on WTO. That would decrease the need to simply lock down on the flamewars and just move them to an appropriate area less moderated by the powers that be. That way both needs could be satisfied.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 10:48:42 AM

Quote from: Paelos
There's always the option of having a forum designated for the stupid, like the old "Where things go to die" on WTO. That would decrease the need to simply lock down on the flamewars and just move them to an appropriate area less moderated by the powers that be. That way both needs could be satisfied.

Weren't the threads in WTGTD typically locked before they were moved?

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 11:00:56 AM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance

Weren't the threads in WTGTD typically locked before they were moved?

Yep, the threads were locked and left to die.  It's actually a clever idea to keep all the stupid on display in a single place.  It gives otherwise worthless threads a kind of entertainment value while shutting them down at the same time.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 11:04:40 AM

There will be a place for dead threads soon. For now, I just wanted proof that plummerx and windurst gone. They were an eyesore. We locked something like 11 threads in the last week. Unacceptable.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Usefully Cynical Commentary  
Jump to: